• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    Why do we put up with these old wrinkly shopkeepers...
    While the rest of your rant may have merit, I would bet that after a few years as an FFL you would pick up some wrinkles and gray hairs - unless you were bald because you'd pulled all your hair out.

I also don't get the "no cell phones" policy.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I also don't get the "no cell phones" policy.

Theres many reasons, while I wouldnt say no phones allowed if it was my store, I would simply say dont have them out taking pictures or talking on them. If you have to use it step outside.

Heres the reasons:

1- Straw Purchases. A Straw Buyer will come in and talk to another person who is on the other end who is inelligible to purchase. They will communicate back and forth to perform the straw buy.

2- Casing the establishment. If a person walks around like they are talking they may actually be taking video or pictures to use later to study and break in or steal merchandise.

3- Causes distractions. Gunshops can get loud depending on whats going on, adding extended cell phone conversations to the background noise just makes communicating for people at the counter difficult. You also dont want a person handling weapons with a phone in their ear, it tends to make people LESS aware of their muzzles when handling a firearm. They tend to sweep customers and staff. When customers are handling weapons their FULL attention needs to be on the weapon, not a phone call.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Theres many reasons, while I wouldnt say no phones allowed if it was my store, I would simply say dont have them out taking pictures or talking on them. If you have to use it step outside.

Heres the reasons:

1- Straw Purchases. A Straw Buyer will come in and talk to another person who is on the other end who is inelligible to purchase. They will communicate back and forth to perform the straw buy.

2- Casing the establishment. If a person walks around like they are talking they may actually be taking video or pictures to use later to study and break in or steal merchandise.

3- Causes distractions. Gunshops can get loud depending on whats going on, adding extended cell phone conversations to the background noise just makes communicating for people at the counter difficult. You also dont want a person handling weapons with a phone in their ear, it tends to make people LESS aware of their muzzles when handling a firearm. They tend to sweep customers and staff. When customers are handling weapons their FULL attention needs to be on the weapon, not a phone call.

4. It's f****** obnoxious. If your conversation is so important, go outside, finish it, then come back in.

clarkcondor

Mar 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    It's unfortunate your interaction. I've been going to Accurate for years and years. Sometimes when it is very busy he may be rushed to try to get to everyone quickly so the ones waiting do not get impatient. Gus is often the only one working there. If I want to discuss an item in more detail I usually browse around and wait until it is not so crowded. Perhaps trying one more time...

The no cell phone policy is used at several gun shops in the area. I think it is reasonable to be considerate to other customers, especially in busy small shops.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    It's unfortunate your interaction. I've been going to Accurate for years and years. Sometimes when it is very busy he may be rushed to try to get to everyone quickly so the ones waiting do not get impatient. Gus is often the only one working there. If I want to discuss an item in more detail I usually browse around and wait until it is not so crowded. Perhaps trying one more time...

The no cell phone policy is used at several gun shops in the area. I think it is reasonable to be considerate to other customers, especially in busy small shops.

Not doubting you, but this is the only place I have heard of it. Chad gave some valid reasons for not allowing them, and I understand them. I could even understand if your insurance made you have that policy, it's the presentation of that policy that is off putting to folks. How you say something can sometimes be more important than what you have to say. I have been there a few times in the past, my brother has bought from there a couple times. I will never go there again based on what I have seen, I never bought from them so I have not had the honor of being treated shitty while trying to spend my money there.

WMDShooter

Aug 14, 2011
    Allegany County
    Truthfully even if it was a great deal I won't be spending a single dollar in that place. Or any other that has rude employees or owners. It doesn't take a ton of energy to answer dumb questions and be nice to people who are about to spend hundreds or even thousands in the store. Maybe we should have a section that rates stores on non rudeness. Maybe to keep the new firearms shopper from being blindsided and discouraged.
    I agree completely. I just starting shooting in early 2011, and because of the friendly and helpful folks at a local gun shop (Moore's Huntin & Fishin Shop, Inc. in Cresaptown, MD) I feel welcome every time I walk in. As a result, I have purchased 11 handguns and two rifles from this shop. Courtesy and friendliness goes a along way!

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    Accurate Pawn and Tackle is down the road from where I work, so I pop in once and a while. My only issue with the place is that they pack up the whole store for pretty much every gun show in the MD/VA/PA area. So if you come in during the week between shows, they have either not finished unpacking, or have started repacking everything.

That said, they've been nice enough to me. They have offered me some really good deals on hard to find items, and they have a pretty large selection. He quoted me a price on a Sig P238 last year that I'm embarrassed I didn't take him up on.

As busy as they are, and as many yahoos they deal with in there, I'm surprised they're as patient and courteous as they are.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV

Heres the reasons:

Thanks for the answer. Since we do more gunsmithing and transfers than sales, it's never been an issue.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I've been in to see Gus occasionally over the past few years. Never had a problem with him. He kind of reminded me of a crotchety old uncle from when I was a kid. Kind of abrupt but not mean spirited. I don't have a problem with that. Come in and do your business and move along. It's a small shop with a lot of people rolling through, not all of them looking at the good stuff behind the counter. Its got to be tough running an FFL and a pawn shop so if he's busy and I just want to browse I'll just come back another time. He doesn't give me a hug and I don't ask...

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Heres the reasons:

4. It's f****** obnoxious. If your conversation is so important, go outside, finish it, then come back in.

All the above.

If one needs to yak with Marylou on their phone, do it on one's own time, not the dealer's time, as I don't want to hear what you're going to do to Marylou that night and your other personal business. It really pisses me off when I'm at a show having customers doing their paperwork and they start yakking with the others or with someone on their phone, not paying attention to the paperwork they're doing and screwing it up; not to mention the extra noise it creates while I'm dealing with other customers, too. Take your cell phone and your cell phone conversations/texting elsewhere (like at a mall with a big water fountain).

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I live in Montgomery County and there are 4 shops within 15 minutes of my place. None of them are horrible. But none of them have been outstanding either. So instead of spending my hard earned money at them, I choose to drive 35 mintues to a shop that has always been first rate. Its a shop where if your just stopping by to see whats new, buying some ammo, or spending a couple grand, youre treated the same. With respect and appreciation. I wish all other shops operated the same way.

What shop is that?

I live in lower Frederick County myself. There are a couple of shops I may visit to see whats new but will not spend my hard earned money at. Either WAY to expensive or very rude. I understand B&M shops need to account for overhead but when I can buy it through someplace like GB and get it transfered in and still get it for less I wonder how much of a markup is really needed? And they never want to negotiate. That is a lost art I think.

Dave

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    What shop is that?

I live in lower Frederick County myself. There are a couple of shops I may visit to see whats new but will not spend my hard earned money at. Either WAY to expensive or very rude. I understand B&M shops need to account for overhead but when I can buy it through someplace like GB and get it transfered in and still get it for less I wonder how much of a markup is really needed? And they never want to negotiate. That is a lost art I think.

Dave

PM Sent!

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience while dealing with Gus at Accurate pawn and tackle. I have been doing business with Gus for a while now and have never had a bad experience. If it's not busy he will sit there and talk with you and help you find what you are looking for. Now with that being said I think that flaming someone on this forum for being ''rude'' makes you rude. Now if he messed up your order or something like that I can understand telling everyone else so that they could use caution at that establishment. I think it is important to remember that Gus is the owner and the store is his lively hood, just something to think about the next time you want to rant about your hurt feelings.

punchBIGholes

Nov 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    Gus has always treated me well. I go to Accurate pawn and tackle for my premeditated purchases. I do my research, head over, and usually end up doing paper work afterwords. They are light on jokes and heavy on business. I have never had a problem with service, product or price. just my two cents.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience while dealing with Gus at Accurate pawn and tackle. I have been doing business with Gus for a while now and have never had a bad experience. If it's not busy he will sit there and talk with you and help you find what you are looking for. Now with that being said I think that flaming someone on this forum for being ''rude'' makes you rude. Now if he messed up your order or something like that I can understand telling everyone else so that they could use caution at that establishment. I think it is important to remember that Gus is the owner and the store is his lively hood, just something to think about the next time you want to rant about your hurt feelings.

I see it differently. If I go into a shop to with the intention to purchase an item and am treated rudely, then I leave. And I will tell everyone that I know who is into shooting sports what a tool that dealer is. If a dealer is so concerned about his livelihood then he will extend a level of service to his customers that make them want to purchase his products and come back at a later date. If I go into a dealer's shop in a bad mood and treat the dealer rudely he will ask me to leave. Why should I or anyone else take the same level of ******** from a dealer?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I see it differently. If I go into a shop to with the intention to purchase an item and am treated rudely, then I leave. And I will tell everyone that I know who is into shooting sports what a tool that dealer is. If a dealer is so concerned about his livelihood then he will extend a level of service to his customers that make them want to purchase his products and come back at a later date. If I go into a dealer's shop in a bad mood and treat the dealer rudely he will ask me to leave. Why should I or anyone else take the same level of ******** from a dealer?

Well said!

Why is it that in the firearms industry the CUSTOMER has to be all careful not to hurt the dealers feelings. It's our damn money! They wouldn't be around if it weren't for us! Why should we not be able to call them out when there being rude and obviously don't appreciate our business? I'm so sick of this! This is a forum. If a dealer has done you wrong or treated you poorly, this is the place to call them out on it. Obviously by doing so you do take the risk of getting some backlash from customers who have been happy with the dealers service. It's to bad that many of them don't want to admit that someone else's experience could have been the exact opposite of theirs. The idea that customers just have to deal with being treated rudely amazes me. We dont! I'm the one spending my money at a shop of my choosing.

In no way am I saying a dealer needs to kiss your ass to get your business. But if they're being disrespectful and obviously not appreciating your business, go elsewhere. It's your money, and trust me there are plenty of places that would be happy to have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom