• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wisker45-70

Nov 6, 2009
    Lexington Park, Md
    Well, as I sit here thinking of how little my laser engraver is used at home, I got to thinking of engraving some stocks. However, I don't have any spares laying around. Anyone know of a good place to get say, a wood stock set for an 870 on the cheap? I've engraved a stailess TC barrel that I have, turned out nice. I may offer this service up if I get enough of an interest. But I need a stock to be able to refine my skills.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Well, you could call some stock makers and see if they have any cast-offs.

Wisker45-70

Nov 6, 2009
    Lexington Park, Md
    Well, I didn't have a blank stock but I took one off my wingmaster.

Before
    870before.jpg

After
    870after2.jpg

Could of been a tad bit bigger but I think it turned out nice. Thin I'll clean that image up a bit before I engrave it on another.

J

Last edited:

Wisker45-70

Nov 6, 2009
    Lexington Park, Md
    No freehanding here, used my laser engraver. If you can print it on paper I can laser it on wood. It's way cool and after 4 years I still am amazed that it does what it does.

J

Wisker45-70

Nov 6, 2009
    Lexington Park, Md
    I have a stock on the way that I won on GB ($25). Clean, no checkering. I'll do a touch up sanding on it before I engrave. I've done some research and have a new method to try out. I've got some color that I'm going to attempt to do, so I may do a Logo of some sort.

Now what should I engrave on it?
    Suggestions?

This will be my shop sample so I can play around with it quite a bit.

Punchabearinnamouf

High Tech Redneck
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hollywood, MD
    I have a stock on the way that I won on GB ($25). Clean, no checkering. I'll do a touch up sanding on it before I engrave. I've done some research and have a new method to try out. I've got some color that I'm going to attempt to do, so I may do a Logo of some sort.

Now what should I engrave on it?
    Suggestions?

This will be my shop sample so I can play around with it quite a bit.

MDS Logo :D

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    What is the stock for? Maybe do the MDS logo and then offer it up for a prize. I would love see the final product.

Like I mentioned before, I have this $200.00 Rossi 20 gauge slug gun and the stock and forearm are so smooth and plain jane, I am considering having it hydro-dipped with mossy oak break up, but, I am open to all options at this point. My only concern is getting water and dirt in the engraving, so there would have to be some sort of serious finishing done to the stock.

Wisker45-70

Nov 6, 2009
    Lexington Park, Md
    What is the stock for? Maybe do the MDS logo and then offer it up for a prize. I would love see the final product.

Like I mentioned before, I have this $200.00 Rossi 20 gauge slug gun and the stock and forearm are so smooth and plain jane, I am considering having it hydro-dipped with mossy oak break up, but, I am open to all options at this point. My only concern is getting water and dirt in the engraving, so there would have to be some sort of serious finishing done to the stock.

Right now I am looking at re-finish, clear sealers and the like to put on the stocks after engraving. I'll try on mine before I do any others. The stock I have coming is for an 870 I believe, I was just looking for something cheap to refine the process.

J

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    well I certainly look forward to seeing what you can do with it. I have a Mossberg 500 stock that could use a bit of creation as well.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I want to have a squirrel with the circle-slash "no" symbol burned on my .22 with some text that reads "NO TREE RATS" LMAO I'm loving the possibilities of what could be done with a laser engraver. Or maybe "Tree-Ratinator"

Attachments

• notreerats.jpg
      notreerats.jpg
      3.6 KB · Views: 250

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'll have to try a synthetic stock. Not sure if the fumes would be to bad but I think I'l try it anyway.
    Tree-ratinator:lol:

LOL, yeah I have "Tree-Ratinator" engraved on the barrel of my Traditions .32 Buckhunter rifle, the ultimate in tree rat fun.

Attachments

• 100_0509.jpg
      100_0509.jpg
      102.9 KB · Views: 241
    • 100_0505.jpg
      100_0505.jpg
      107.1 KB · Views: 279

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member