• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    There is a very narrow range of acceptable powder weight with H110 or W296 and not much room or need for experimentation. I don't have the exact range at my fingertips but it is easy to find at CMP forum. Some people swear their brass never lengthens, others say it's the most growingest brass their is. Mine lengthened around the 3rd or 4th reload. Expensive and bad things can happen. Use rifle primers and not pistol primers.

Edit Let me be clear, the range is on both the low and the high side of powder weight. Do not think you are treating the gun gently by using light loads.

Last edited:

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I use 296 with a 110 gr bullet. Sometimes HP which I have never had a functioning problem. As for resizing I always lube even with a carbide die. It just makes it easier. Maybe that is why people are experiencing growth. Mine clock around 2000 fps.

Last edited:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    My 30 carbine likes my loads with 2400 pushing 110 gr pills. Recipes vary slightly depending on JB's, plated or CB's with gas checks. The min/max charge range is narrow, but it's not hard to find what works well.

Remember, 30 carb rounds head space on the case mouth. Cases need to be uniform length with only enough taper crimp to hold the bullet.

My cases grow "ever so slightly" and I check case lengths and trim when needed.

Compared to its big sister (the M1 Garand) the M1 Carbine is downright dainty. And it's a helluva lot of fun to load for and shoot.

:thumbsup:

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    H-110 shot best back in the day (1980s)
    I'm going to test it again soon since there are several powder suitable for it. Ill post the results when I test them.
    H-110/296
    AA-9
    N-110
    Enforcer/4100
    Lil-Gun

Ken

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Thanks guys. I have 2400 and Lil Gun but will track down some H-110.

I prefer Redding dies then RCBS, do either of these come with a taper crimp? Or would it be better to use a Lee FCD?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Here you go.

75234edead33070662477c40771389d6.jpg

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    As far as I know, H110 and W296 are the same powder.
    I know that Hodgdon's current data for these powders is identical, and suspect that the variation of data prior to the most recent is due to factors other than the powder.
    DocAitch

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Thanks guys. I have 2400 and Lil Gun but will track down some H-110.

I prefer Redding dies then RCBS, do either of these come with a taper crimp? Or would it be better to use a Lee FCD?

Personally I have various brands of die sets to reload almost 40 different calibers/cases. Over time I've added Lee FCD's to all my die sets if Lee makes one.

Specifically for 30 carb: The Lee FCD is a great tool to do your final taper and finish when reloading with whatever overall die set you have.

:thumbsup:

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    H-110 and 296 are the same now but some years ago, they were not
    Ramshot Enforcer and Accurate 4100 are the same.
    Ramshot Xterminator and Accurate 2230 are also the same powders

Ken

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    It does lengthen. Maybe about 30-40% of them do.

What I usually do is mic them and just reload the 60% that are OK.

I haven't bothered getting in the trimming business for the rest yet.

My .02

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I know that using the carbide sizer it is a bear to resize these and it takes a lot of effort. As soon as I started to lube them they sized much easier. This suggestion came from another forum. I'm not sure what effect on length that has but I'm sure it worked the brass less. I'm only on the first reload so I haven't started checking on the sizing. Looking at the published data I clocked the with my beta crony at 2000 fps using 14 gr of 296. With a Speer 110 gr JHP. 296 is also my 44 magnum go to powder.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Finished testing 5 powders in the Carbine. Tested Lil-Gun, #9, H-110, Enforcer, and N-110 with Hornady 110 gr RN #3015.
    H-110 shot the best with 1/2" groups at 50 yds.
    2nd best was #9 with 1" groups.
    I didn't try 2400 because my loading manuals showed that I couldn't get the velocity I wanted. 1680 wasn't tried because I couldn't get enough in the case to get the velocity I wanted. I believe #9 is a better powder than results showed because my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be with open sights. #9 is worth testing again. No loads showed signs of excessive pressure. I was actually surprised at the accuracy of the light little carbine made in 1944. It would make a great jungle rifle. I like reloading it because carbide dies can be used and it is easy and fun. It would be a great round for the beginning reloader. Hope this helps.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom