• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Figured I just start a new thread. This site popped up on FB the other day and I wanted to know if it's on the up and up. It states that by watching a video and taking a 10 question quiz (you can actually skip the video) this will suffice as your training requirement for Virginia non-resident. After you pass the test and pay the $45 you can print the certificate. I did take the test and passed for grins, but stopped short of the payment. I'm just curious if this is actually legit.

https://www.concealedonline.com/

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This is from the VSP web site:

Documentation of Competence with a Handgun
    The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

• Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state.
    • Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.
    • Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state.
    • Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
    • Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
    • Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.
    • Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
    • Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
    • Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.
    A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any such course or class, an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant, or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall satisfy the requirement for demonstration of competence with a handgun.
    Your site says the course is from an NRA certified instructor so therefore acceptable.
    What does ConcealedOnline provide me with?

ConcealedOnline.com provides you with an online course by a certified NRA instructor, and upon passing the test, a certificate of completion. This will serve as your Documentation of Competence with a Handgun. With this course and by submitting this document you have fulfilled the educational requirements to submit to the State of Virginia to obtain your concealed carry permit. Final submission to Virginia State Police will require certain other documents and state fees, including photos, signatures and applications. Upon completion we will provide a guide outlining the final documents needed and submission process for obtaining your Virginia State CCW.
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm#Documentation_of_Competence

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    If you would prefer a free online course given by a law enforcement agency DC Police offers one and so does a sheriff's department in Oregon or Washington state. VSP accepts these.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    If you would prefer a free online course given by a law enforcement agency DC Police offers one and so does a sheriff's department in Oregon or Washington state. VSP accepts these.

Do you have any more info about the Oregon or Washington one? The one I found for Oregon is free to take (~90 minutes) but it costs $55 to print a certificate.
    http://oregonchl.org/

I was looking outside the DC one but didn't find another free one.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Do you have any more info about the Oregon or Washington one? The one I found for Oregon is free to take (~90 minutes) but it costs $55 to print a certificate.
    http://oregonchl.org/

I was looking outside the DC one but didn't find another free one.

I was looking for it as well. They get you by saying the course is free, but then you have to put up the money for the certificate. I watched the MDC video and saved the certificate for free.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm not sure how long you've been a gun owner, but if you have the old MD gun safety online course certificate, VA will accept it.

DubleTap

Nov 19, 2011
    I can vouch for Rouchna's comment as well (not that I need to (: ). I sent over my old Md Police Training Commission wallet card from 2011 just today to verify if they would accept it and I got the answer from a very helpful young lady that said they do indeed accept that card as proof of an approved FireArm Safety Course. I am so glad I saved that card. Also, just so you all know, i asked her what kind of time frame to expect and she basically said "expect 90 Days or more". Also make sure that you follow the directions for the picture exactly. The one I was going to use had just a little bit of my hair missing from the top and she told me that it would have been turned down.
    Also make very sure that you have a signature of the person who took your prints on the card as well as the agency's full name and a contact phone number. She also said that you can write this on the back of the card if needed.

Virginia is really a good deal. Its amazing the difference a ride over the American Legion Bridge can make.

Also, if anyone is also looking at the Florida Non Resident Permit, I sent a scanned copy of my card for verification and they told me a definite NO on the MD Police Training Commission card. They said it was an Online course and they do not accept that.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I can vouch for Rouchna's comment as well (not that I need to (: ). I sent over my old Md Police Training Commission wallet card from 2011 just today to verify if they would accept it and I got the answer from a very helpful young lady that said they do indeed accept that card as proof of an approved FireArm Safety Course. I am so glad I saved that card. Also, just so you all know, i asked her what kind of time frame to expect and she basically said "expect 90 Days or more". Also make sure that you follow the directions for the picture exactly. The one I was going to use had just a little bit of my hair missing from the top and she told me that it would have been turned down.
    Also make very sure that you have a signature of the person who took your prints on the card as well as the agency's full name and a contact phone number. She also said that you can write this on the back of the card if needed.

Virginia is really a good deal. Its amazing the difference a ride over the American Legion Bridge can make.

Also, if anyone is also looking at the Florida Non Resident Permit, I sent a scanned copy of my card for verification and they told me a definite NO on the MD Police Training Commission card. They said it was an Online course and they do not accept that.
    But Florida will accept a hunter safety course and a few states offer them online. The online hunter safety course also works to satisfy the MD HQL training requirement if someone needs it.

DubleTap

Nov 19, 2011
    i hope there is an online course Florida will accept. I already have my fingerprint card and am ready to go. I just dont have the time nor do I care to spend $70 to $125 on a live training course somewhere in Maryland (nothing is ever near Germantown, MD)

I would recommend you contact Florida before spending any money on an Online Course and make sure they will accept it. And if they do, please post the one they accepted, I know I would appreciate it. Here is the actual Email I received yesterday:

Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 09:23 AM

To: Wyreless

Subject: RE: Out of State Concealed Carry Permit Question

Hello,

This is to acknowledge receipt of your e-mail. No, your training certificate will not suffice as proof of training because it was online course.

We will accept the following that demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm.

Thank you,

Division of Licensing

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

(850) 245-5691

www.FreshFromFlorida.com

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Looking at Floridas application, it appears they now accept Live Scan fingerprinting. I think I'll have to go get my Fl permit finally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom