• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tattoojew

Apr 29, 2016
    Hi all...

I am new to the forum...and I just received my HQL card today, and had a question about the "rules" so to speak.

On the paper that came with it, it states that the HQL does not allow for transport of a firearm.

This seems a bit misleading to me...like, how am I supposed to take it to the range once I purchase it? Am I only allowed to go from residence to range, and from range to residence?

How do I transport it to and from the range? Ive seen post that say to keep the gun away from the drivers seat, like in the trunk area, and the mags unloaded up front...

I dunno...I'm new to all of this.

Thank guys...and ladies.

Jeremy~

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It meant conceal carry... You're fine regular transport to range and other allowed places. Ie.. Unloaded in an enclosed case.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Since the ******** that we have to go through for the privilege of buying a handgun in this state is more than is required for a carry permit in many other states, they want to make sure that none of us serfs get the idea that we are free people and can carry.

NIS74

Apr 15, 2016
    Since the ******** that we have to go through for the privilege of buying a handgun in this state is more than is required for a carry permit in many other states, they want to make sure that none of us serfs get the idea that we are free people and can carry.

Kinda like the "NOT DISAPPROVED" stamp.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Hi all...

I am new to the forum...and I just received my HQL card today, and had a question about the "rules" so to speak.

On the paper that came with it, it states that the HQL does not allow for transport of a firearm.

This seems a bit misleading to me...like, how am I supposed to take it to the range once I purchase it? Am I only allowed to go from residence to range, and from range to residence?

How do I transport it to and from the range? Ive seen post that say to keep the gun away from the drivers seat, like in the trunk area, and the mags unloaded up front...

Thank guys...and ladies.

Jeremy~

Maryland does have some specific rules on transporting you should be aware of including limited places you can transport to. Handgun Law has the best state by state summary of the various laws although they are primarily concerned with concealed carry they also cover other laws. here is a link to their homepage:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Here is the section on Maryland:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf

See page 7 for information about transport restrictions in Maryland particularly the section on exceptions which covers you going to the range.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Hmmm, those things would have been covered during your HQL training class...

Yes, but if not, you can transport your sidearm to/from any place within the state you are legally able to take it (e.g., firearm sporting event, gunsmith, gun range, home, etc.), but it must be in a closed case (the law doesn't specify the type of case, so there remains much debate about this) and carried in your trunk or in a part of the vehicle that is out of reach of the driver (not the glove box or similar locations in the front seat area). If this wasn't covered in your HQL class, I would encourage you to read the link Blacksmith101 provided to handgunlaw.us.

Finally, and most importantly, read The Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca, which I recommend to all new gun owners. I would also encourage you to find a Maryland attorney that specializes in Maryland firearm law and put their card in your wallet, gun case(s) and/or scan it onto your phone. It's best to know who to ring if/when you find yourself being read your Miranda rights after being forced to use a firearm to defend your life or the lives of those under your charge.
    Good luck!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yes, but if not, you can transport your sidearm to/from any place within the state you are legally able to take it (e.g., firearm sporting event, gunsmith, gun range, home, etc.), but it must be in a closed case (the law doesn't specify the type of case, so there remains much debate about this) and carried in your trunk or in a part of the vehicle that is out of reach of the driver (not the glove box or similar locations in the front seat area). If this wasn't covered in your HQL class, I would encourage you to read the link Blacksmith101 provided to handgunlaw.us.

Finally, and most importantly, read The Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca, which I recommend to all new gun owners. I would also encourage you to find a Maryland attorney that specializes in Maryland firearm law and put their card in your wallet, gun case(s) and/or scan it onto your phone. It's best to know who to ring if/when you find yourself being read your Miranda rights after being forced to use a firearm to defend your life or the lives of those under your charge.
    Good luck!

You can find some listed in our IP Industry Partners section of the Forum.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    Hi all...

Thank guys...and ladies.

Jeremy~

You may transport your handgun in the trunk of your car, in a case, unloaded and with the ammunition being in a separate area of the car, and you must be traveling FROM your residence TO a gun-oriented event or TO your home FROM a gun oriented event. Gun-oriented events are the range, a gun shop, a gunsmith, or to a business that you own. You should NOT stop anywhere along the way, e.g., stopping off to visit your cousin or stopping at the grocery store, etc., either going or coming to or from the event at which you are transporting your handgun.

Interestingly, you can carry a rifle or shotgun, unloaded, encased and in the trunk with for no apparent reason; that is, you do not have to be going to or coming from a gun-oriented event.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    You may transport your handgun in the trunk of your car, in a case, unloaded and with the ammunition being in a separate area of the car, and you must be traveling FROM your residence TO a gun-oriented event or TO your home FROM a gun oriented event. Gun-oriented events are the range, a gun shop, a gunsmith, or to a business that you own. You should NOT stop anywhere along the way, e.g., stopping off to visit your cousin or stopping at the grocery store, etc., either going or coming to or from the event at which you are transporting your handgun.

Interestingly, you can carry a rifle or shotgun, unloaded, encased and in the trunk with for no apparent reason; that is, you do not have to be going to or coming from a gun-oriented event.
    Actually long guns aren't required to be encased and don't need to be in the trunk either in Maryland. Not that it would be a good idea but you could tote an unloaded shotgun around on your back seat uncased. Again I wouldn't advise this. Some jurisdictions (Baltimore City for example) have laws that pre date state pre-emption so this does not apply everywhere in Maryland.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    Actually long guns aren't required to be encased and don't need to be in the trunk either in Maryland. Not that it would be a good idea but you could tote an unloaded shotgun around on your back seat uncased. Again I wouldn't advise this. Some jurisdictions (Baltimore City for example) have laws that pre date state pre-emption so this does not apply everywhere in Maryland.

As you pointed out, it would NOT be a good idea to carry an uncased long gun on your back seat, but the specific point of my comment was that one does not need to be going to or coming from a gun-oriented event to justify having it in the vehicle.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    As you pointed out, it would NOT be a good idea to carry an uncased long gun on your back seat, but the specific point of my comment was that one does not need to be going to or coming from a gun-oriented event to justify having it in the vehicle.
    Correct & agreed.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    "Hmmm, those things would have been covered during your HQL training class..."

Yeah, but when you inquire at the MSP Website it is fairly explanatory on who, what, where and how...

Plus didn't see any introduction anywhere??? seems fishy to me...when the information is generally explained...

Although us veterans don't require the HQL Class to purchase , you generally investigate and educate oneself when you become a Resident...

Unless you are a Libetard, then you instinctively know nothing about the law..

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

Yeah, but when you inquire at the MSP Website it is fairly explanatory on who, what, where and how...

Plus didn't see any introduction anywhere??? seems fishy to me...when the information is generally explained...

Although us veterans don't require the HQL Class to purchase , you generally investigate and educate oneself when you become a Resident...

Asking questions on this forum is a form of research and given the lack of an overwhemingly positive views on firearms in this state it shouldn't be suprising that most new gun people can't recite the passages by heart.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Getting an HQL in no way changes how a resident may transport a regulated firearm. That has never changed. Seems to me any and every HQL course should go over this at a minimum.

tattoojew

Apr 29, 2016
    Thank you all for the responses!

I was exempt from the training due to being in the USAF for 15 years. I know how to properly handle a firearm, but was just curious about transporting, since the only transporting of a firearm Ive done has been carrying an M4 from the classroom to the range, which was just across the street.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Possibly the OP owned a regulated firearm before October 2013 and decided to purchase another in which case he needs an HQL but does not need any additional training.

Hunter safety class is another way to get approved training and is probably one of the least expensive options. I will ask some hunter safety instructors I know, next week, just how detailed they get on HQL requirements in their class.

Many Maryland residents, including gun owners, are ignorant of the onerous provisions of the "Firearms Safety Act". When they find out some get really upset, then you ask where were you when we were trying to fight its passage.

Edit:
    As Blaster pointed out the firearms transport laws are separate from the HQL rules and many gun casual owners don't even know they exist.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Possibly the OP owned a regulated firearm before October 2013 and decided to purchase another in which case he needs an HQL but does not need any additional training.

Hunter safety class is another way to get approved training and is probably one of the least expensive options. I will ask some hunter safety instructors I know, next week, just how detailed they get on HQL requirements in their class.

Many Maryland residents, including gun owners, are ignorant of the onerous provisions of the "Firearms Safety Act". When they find out some get really upset, then you ask where were you when we were trying to fight its passage.

Edit:
    As Blaster pointed out the firearms transport laws are separate from the HQL rules and many gun casual owners don't even know they exist.

From my experience, hunter safety covers nothing about handgun law. At least mine didn't.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It meant conceal carry... You're fine regular transport to range and other allowed places. Ie.. Unloaded in an enclosed case.

"Other allowed places" are quite limited in MD if you are a peon.

To and from range, gunsmith for repairs; if one is a "bonafide collector" one can transport to and from formal and informal showing. Odd thing is "bonafide collector" has no legal definition in MD - it means whatever your lawyer can convince the judge hearing your case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom