• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are there any lights that have adjustable brightness with something like an adjustable ring on the end (like a maglite) or by doing a certain number of clicks with the switch?

Are there any lights that mount with a receiver so you can take the light part on/off easily but leave the receiver attached to the rail?

I'm guessing the two above features are not common on hand gun lights, if they even exist at all.

It seems like from a previous thread that the Streamlight TLR-1 and SureFire X300 are popular. Has anyone used the grip switch with the SureFire or the grip switch with the TLR-1? If so, any issues? I'm guessing there could be holster fit issues. I'm probably going to get the Safariland 6378 ALS or something very similar with ALS

Glock 19 is what the light is going on.

Last edited:

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I have a TLR-1 on a G23 and love it. The position of the switch enables you to hit it when your finger is resting down the side. Momentary or on/off as well.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Streamlight TLR-1 on the gun. Any light with a 300 lumen minimum and a lanyard ring. Paracord through the lanyard and then if two hands are needed on the pistol drop the Protac 2AA as it's looped to your wrist.

ETA: I use the Streamlight ProTac 2AA

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    LED lights don't really have a good way of being able to be dimmed due to the way an LED works, other than being programmed for different levels and that usually is on larger handheld lights, like some of the Chinese made lights (4sevens, etc.). not handgun lights.. The above suggestions are all good IMO. I have an Insight M6X light/laser on one of my Glocks, a Surefire x300 Ultra on another and due to the short rail on my HK45C, a Streamlight TLR 3.

All good LED lights. LED makes more sense for a handgun light than a dimmable or focusable Xenon light IMO

My .02 YMMV

My eyes are a little sensitive to light at night. That's why I was hoping there was an adjustable light. That way I could dial it down some. Plus I don't want my night sites to be overpowered. I'm fine with using something other than LED if there's a dimmable gun light out there. I didn't really expect anything though because Google didn't reveal much. I thought maybe I was searching for the wrong phrases so I decided to ask here.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Which is why for inside HD use the brightest light is not always the best light . I've read that anything over 60 lumens is good for night use in HD. A 300 lumen light may work great for use outside or clearing a large building if you're LE.

My TLR 3 on my HD45CT is only 110 lumens and seems more than adequate for HD use. Sometimes the reflection of a very bright light inside your house can be a detriment.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    Try to find a used surefire x200B or a XB they are 100 lumens and the B is tuned to indoor use.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    ~100lum for inside your house seems to work well. Still, try to stay away from mirrors and flat screen TV's. Conex box innards too.

For search 300+ (or better yet NV capability). Brighter is better as long as they can't turn on you. If you're solo and it may sometimes be better to search without a light and just use it for ID. Everything is situational.

I don't know that there are pistol mounted lights that are readily adjustable on the fly. Perhaps a handheld instead?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Changes in LED technology and driver circuitry are more responsible for lights being discontinued than a lack of popularity.

Many folks fall into the brighter is better hype as well. I'm guilty of it myself.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I don't usually go higher than 200 lumens for a light I plan to use in the house. Yes, I drink the Travis Haley coolaid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V78tH6aVpuM

I have to agree with you. I drink his cool aid too because unlike so many other personalities in the "tactical" world, he has actually been there done that and went back as a contractor. He brings so much real world experience. Which is why I prefer guys like Hailey, Paul Howe, and Larry Vickers over guys like James Yeager. Thanks for posting this I actually learned alot from that video.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't like the idea of a light for clearing, only for target id.

One night have a friend help, indoors or out. One walk around with the light, trying to find the other one. See how easy it is to see the guy with the light coming, well before he can use the light to see you.

I don't usually go higher than 200 lumens for a light I plan to use in the house. Yes, I drink the Travis Haley coolaid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V78tH6aVpuM

That guy has a lot of great videos. My eyes naturally prefer what he was describing with that Inforce light. I just don't care for a momentary only switch on a hand gun.

The TLR-3 is probably more what I'm looking for in brightness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom