Anyone ever gone elk hunting or spotting in PA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I was reading about their native Elk herd up there and it sounds intriguing. I remember when I was in college there was talk of introducing elk into the Shenandoah Nat'l Park in VA, but it was shot down, seeing as how there's two major highways on either side. I'd love to see and elk in the wild, though, and was contemplating a late spring elk spotting trip to PA.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    There is a huge elk pop in PA. We saw a good sized bull last week driving up PA255 near St. Mary's. I run through there a few times a year. The state puts out electronic bill boards all over that area Warning motorists of Elk. Truckers hate it!

Didn't think to photograph it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Friends of mine that lived there used to go picture taking for elk quite a bit.

I'm pretty sure they only give out a few hunting permits a year though. If I remember, it's by lottery drawing?

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Yes, PA is lottery for Elk. You submit a non-refundable $100 (IIRC) and hope you get picked. I know four guys in PA who cut their losses after six years of throwing away their money to never get picked and stopped trying.

CaptainAwesome

Jun 1, 2013
    Pikesville MD
    Try late September/early October in Benezette PA., there are areas for viewing the herds. Expect a lot of people, but it is worth the trip, about 250 miles north of Balto.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I was reading about their native Elk herd up there and it sounds intriguing. I remember when I was in college there was talk of introducing elk into the Shenandoah Nat'l Park in VA, but it was shot down, seeing as how there's two major highways on either side. I'd love to see and elk in the wild, though, and was contemplating a late spring elk spotting trip to PA.

http://www.cherryridge.com/Policies.html

this is pretty close to where i grew up, i cant vouch for the lodge, but I know the area pretty well and the bucks that are coming out of there are outstanding. My grandmother had a 12 point eating around her apple trees the other night, but she lives near Tidioute, PA not far as the crow files to where this outfitter is.

Highly reccomend the area for Hunting and Fishing it's some of the best for that in the country. Kinzua Dam has some of the largest Walleye and Bass outside of Lake Erie. PM me if you want to know of an outfitter in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom