• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blacklab25

Mar 26, 2013
    Mardela Springs
    I would assume that atleast 80% of the residents of this state have no idea that open long gun carry is legal. I know there are members that do not want people to do open long gun carry because of the negative views. Also I would be worried about possibly being shot or wrongfully arrested. Here is my idea. Have MSI rent billboards around the state in specific areas. Have a picture of someone with a slung shotgun over their shoulder. Also have a picture of someone in plain clothes with a dotted (concealed) handgun. Have the billboard say the both of these are legal in Maryland. Then ask which of these 2 pictures make you feel uncomfortable? Have either Marylandshallissue.com or contact your representative for conceal carry on the sign. I guarantee the majority would say the open carry made them feel uncomfortable. Some members might say that the state will go after open long gun carry next. Here is my theory. Didn't the state last year (Woollard v. Gallagher) say that their reason for being a g&s state and not a shall issue state was because open long gun carry is legal. The court agreed with their reason. If the made open long gun carry illegal they would have to become a shall issue state.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    Then ask which of these 2 pictures make you feel uncomfortable.

I think that way of thinking about it is completely misguided. Our constitutionally guaranteed right shouldn't be determined by how uncomfortable it makes Maryland's low information voters feel. I feel uncomfortable when an obese person is eating at a buffet, can we ban buffets now? Obesity related health issues kill a lot more people than firearms do each year.

blacklab25

Mar 26, 2013
    Mardela Springs
    I threw this idea out here to get some ideas possibly rolling. I know some would think it's good while others not. I'm not saying any opinions are wrong, that is your right. I know its our constitutional right, but try to get the dems to agree to that. Our right is already being determined by low information voters anyway. They are the ones that need to be persuaded to have a chance at conceal carry. I feel, use their "excuse" (open carry) against them. Liberals and dems use tactics and information that make people feel uncomfortable all the time to get what they want. Like saying Hobby Lobby hates women because of 4 birth control meds and so many women (the un-informed) will believe them and vote for dems because of it.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Most people aren't that smart to differentiate your message even if they can read... I think it would cause more retaliation because of the Liberal Media would just twist it to their advantage...Plus to many people txt while driving anyway...

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Certain parts of this state are chock full of people who are offended by anything and everything (I'm looking squarely at Baltimore, MOCO and PGCO). And right down Rt. 50 is a "not too gun friendly" national newspaper with the initials WP. Factor that into your plans.

blacklab25

Mar 26, 2013
    Mardela Springs
    Exactly, they are offended with everything. Those are the ones that determine everything in the state and the ones we need to turn. I bet that they are more offended/un-comfortable/do not prefer to see someone that is actually armed(firearm in the open). I figure that if the state can use the excuse that they allow open carry instead of conceal carry and people complain about open carry, they might be likely to loosen the belt on conceal carry. I don't ever see the state doing away with open carry because that is their excuse for not giving conceal carry. If they did try to take away open carry, take them to court and push again for conceal carry. What excuse would they have to deny then? Regardless, I'm throwing ideas out there and feel free to add on or change the idea. I'm not saying my idea is perfect or would even work, but I am trying to put something out there. Maybe by giving someone else an idea. Hopefully something will work. But I do know one thing, not doing anything isn't getting us anywhere, especially after SCOTUS wouldn't take the case. Time to try something new.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    I would assume that atleast 80% of the residents of this state have no idea that open long gun carry is legal. I know there are members that do not want people to do open long gun carry because of the negative views. Also I would be worried about possibly being shot or wrongfully arrested.

I'm all about the billboard idea. Just keep in mind if you are thinking about an open carry demo that while there is no MD statute prohibiting it, there are some county/municipal codes that do. So the state of MD may allow you to open carry a long gun, but the state of Montgomery (among others) does not. Places like those that BeoBill mentioned are filled with people that could probably benefit most from a little exposure and education. Unfortunately, most of these sheep would see someone open carrying, and their first instinct would be to crawl into the fetal position and cry for mommy. They probably won't be the most willing to talk and listen to logical arguments when all they can focus on is the 30 caliber clip ghost gun climbing off your back, growing hands and shooting them (at a rate of about 18,000 rounds a second). Because after all, guns kill people.

PHRFcrewman

Jul 20, 2014
    Hamilton, Baltimore
    I honestly don't know which I'd prefer. I remember a gentleman coming into the diner where my family and I were having breakfast. Pistol in its holster for the world to see. I was accutly aware of the weapon. But as he ate his breakfast and discussed the morning gossip with his friends, I became relaxed and was able to enjoy my meal.
    Had it been concealed, and saw it, I'd be more intimidated and on alert until I got my family out of there. Visions of Pulp Fiction or some crazy Mob stuff running through my head.
    This was all years ago.

It's hard to say. I see things differently now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom