• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    I was stunned to see this in the circular I received last night, did a little research and indeed it is Maryland compliant.

Must be much less lethal than the banned ones. Looks like S&W and Colt have adapted.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

151009_01_lg.jpg

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    SBR? I thought Bp was going NFA for a second and got excited. They've had ar10 variants for sale for years now. The r25 was the first one I saw them carry.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Guess I was wrong, I thought all scary things were banned last year. Thought this was a work around like the Colt mentioned in the other thread. My bad.

The HBAR's have never been a "work around", it's just what the law is. The convoluted nature of it is due to poor lawmaking by bad legislators ignorant of the topic.
    PUBLIC SAFETY ARTICLE
    TITLE 5. FIREARMS
    SUBTITLE 1. REGULATED FIREARMS

Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-101

(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

(i) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;

(ii) AK-47 in all forms;

(iii) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto;

(iv) AR 100 type semi-auto;

(v) AR 180 type semi-auto;

(vi) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto;

(vii) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto;

(viii) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics;

(ix) Barrett light .50 cal. semi-auto;

(x) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto;

(xi) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle;

(xii) Calico models M-100 and M-900;

(xiii) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto;

(xiv) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines;

(xv) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;

(xvi) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2;

(xvii) Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto;

(xviii) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber);

(xix) Feather AT-9 semi-auto;

(xx) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle;

(xxi) FNC semi-auto type carbine;

(xxii) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun;

(xxiii) Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto;

(xxiv) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto;

(xxv) Heckler and Koch HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3;

(xxvi) Holmes model 88 shotgun;

(xxvii) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format;

(xxviii) Manchester Arms "Commando" MK-45, MK-9;

(xxix) Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine;

(xxx) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun;

(xxxi) Sterling Mark 6;

(xxxii) P.A.W.S. carbine;

(xxxiii) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber);

(xxxiv) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber);

(xxxv) SKS with detachable magazine;

(xxxvi) AP-74 Commando type semi-auto;

(xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;

(xxxviii) Street sweeper assault type shotgun;

(xxxix) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats;

(xl) Unique F11 semi-auto type;

(xli) Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun;

(xlii) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle;

(xliii) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto;

(xliv) Weaver Arms "Nighthawk" semi-auto carbine; or

(xlv) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto "Terry".

there's also this...
    http://www.oag.state.md.us/Opinions/2010/95oag101.pdf

So as long as the rifle isn't a copy of one of those mentioned above, and doesn't have the features to make it a "copycat", you're good to go.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The bullet button is a CA requirement, not MD. It's legal without the button as long as it only holds 10 rounds and has an HBAR.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Lots of errors in this this thread.

SBR is a rifle with a barrel less than 16". That rifle has a 16" barrel, so it is not an SBR.

Now, according to the description, it has a fixed magazine, which might very well make it Maryland compliant because Copycats have to have a detachable magazine and the code defines detachable magazine as:

(f) “Detachable magazine” means an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge.

Now, the question becomes whether this firearm is a copy of the Colt AR-15.

By the way, I too received the BPS flier today and was surprised to see that firearm in the ad. Just figured it was an circular that went out to all BPS customers and applied to all BPS stores.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Now, according to the description, it has a fixed magazine, which might very well make it Maryland compliant because Copycats have to have a detachable magazine and the code defines detachable magazine as:

(f) “Detachable magazine” means an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge.
    It is also a copycat if it has a fixed magazine that holds > 10 rounds. This holds 10 so it is not a copycat and appears MD legal.

IANAL like Fabs.

[FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot]3 [/FONT][FONT=&quot](3) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A COPYCAT WEAPON[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot]4 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot]E[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) (1) “C[/FONT][FONT=&quot]O[/FONT][FONT=&quot]PYCAT WEAPON[/FONT][FONT=&quot]” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]M[/FONT][FONT=&quot]EANS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot]II[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS A[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]F[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I[/FONT][FONT=&quot]X[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ED MAGAZINE WITH THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT MORE THAN [/FONT][FONT=&quot]10[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ROUNDS[/FONT][FONT=&quot];[/FONT]

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Well, as bad a SB 281 was in regards to banning the sale "Assult Rifles", and as angry as I was about that, it makes me feel better to see S&W and Colt adapting to the new laws and offering to the Maryland shooter something that is very similiar to that which was banned.

The rifle above looks like a good alternatve to an AK or an AR, with some minor drawbacks, but nevertheless if you are hell bent on having something in this genre, you can now buy one legally.

BTW, its priced in the circular at $1,099.99.

And I believe the sale of these will be like any other long gun, no HQL or waiting period.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Well, as bad a SB 281 was in regards to banning the sale "Assult Rifles", and as angry as I was wirh that, it makes me feel better to see S&W and Colt adapting to the new laws and offering to the Maryland shooter something that is very similiar to that which was banned.

The rifle above looks like a good alternatve to an AK or an AR, with some minor drawbacks, but nevertheless if you are hell bent on having something in this genre, you can now buy one legally.

BTW, its priced in the circular at $1,099.99.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    It is also a copycat if it has a fixed magazine that holds > 10 rounds. This holds 10 so it is not a copycat and appears MD legal.

IANAL like Fabs.

Correct. A fixed mag has to be limited to 10 rounds or less.

Guess I should have posted the entire definition of Copycat Weapon, so here it is for those that do not know where to get it:

(e) (1) “Copycat weapon” means:
    (i) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any two of the following:
    1. a folding stock;
    2. a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or
    3. a flash suppressor;
    (ii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds;
    (iii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29 inches;
    (iv) a semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds;
    (v) a semiautomatic shotgun that has a folding stock; or
    (vi) a shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    No HBAR, No Good for MD unless stamped on barrel, wouldn't want it any with the CA BB...

It does not need to be an HBAR if it has a fixed magazine with a capacity of 10 rounds or less. Guessing that a fixed magazine would make it not a copy of the Colt AR-15 and since it has a fixed magazine of 10 rounds it would not be a Copycat Weapon.

The key here is fixed magazine and the only worry I have it whether the State would argue that this is indeed a copy of the Colt AR-15 because the fixed mag does not differentiate it enough. Think it would be a long shot on that argument since one of the basis for the assault weapon ban was to limit the "high capacity" of these "assault weapons".

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well, MSP's latest missive said it must be cosmetically similar AND have interchangeable parts to be a copy.

thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom