• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't quite understand the twisted reasoning behind the one gun per 30 days thing. Does anyone know the story behind that one other than it being another pointless MD law?

One of those stupid feel good laws that the idiots felt would reduce gun violence. Never mind those that use guns in crimes do not follow the laws to start with.

This was passed in the 90s (96??). Several friends decided to take it at its meaning, they bought one gun a month for quite a while. :)

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    in the stripped lower thread there are quoted email responses from MSP that says any amount of lowers can be purchased and no HQL requirement. The limit is probably an FFL deal so a single person doesnt buy their whole stock. MSP has this whole thing screwed up lol

I'm not totally sure. I saw that too, but I also saw something in the IP section. One of our IPs is treating them the way I describe above, citing MSP guidance. I'd just ask your FFL if you wanna buy 10 lowers. Everyone on this forum should be a MD designated collector. It's free. Cost you a stamp. Most banks notarized for free if you bank with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    It's like everything else. MSP enforces and interprets the laws as they see fit. Not a bash. But if you ask 5 different troopers or call the licensing division 5 times. You will prob get 5 different answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not a big deal, buy 2 now, apply for your DC. Buy as many as you want when your DC comes in. And those have not been taking long these days.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    Not a big deal, buy 2 now, apply for your DC. Buy as many as you want when your DC comes in. And those have not been taking long these days.

What is an acceptable response to the "Describe nature of collecting activities" on the DC form? My apologies if this has been discussed before.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Does being a MD designated collector open you up to any potential liabilities or other legal issues? Are there any additional responsibilities?

It probably puts you on one more double-secret watch list, but otherwise, no. No downside.

They just send you a letter saying you're a collector. Nothing else.

---

Long ago, the "one handgun a month" law was proposed (to prevent straw purchasers from buying 2 dozen Raven .25s at a time for resale).

During the debate, it was argued that the law would hurt collectors.

Proponents of the law agreed to provide a way for collectors to get an exemption.

That's what this is: the exemption from the "one gun a month" law.

---

It probably puts you on one more double-secret watch list, but otherwise, no. No downside.

They just send you a letter saying you're a collector. Nothing else.

---

Long ago, the "one handgun a month" law was proposed (to prevent straw purchasers from buying 2 dozen Raven .25s at a time for resale).

During the debate, it was argued that the law would hurt collectors.

Proponents of the law agreed to provide a way for collectors to get an exemption.

That's what this is: the exemption from the "one gun a month" law.

---

Interesting. This sounds like a law before FSA 2013 and FSA 2013 doesn't overrule it with 1 in 30? Can anyone cite the 2 in 60 law?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Like that did not need to be reported to MSP (77Rs) and BATFE already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom