• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I wonder if Lou's group could give up a number on the drop in business being experienced by shops that are still open.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I wonder if Lou's group could give up a number on the drop in business being experienced by shops that are still open.

Every single shop I've been to has reported a (predictably) drastic decrease in pistol sales. Potential new owners have to be very interested in owning/shooting to go so far as getting training, prints, and applying; whereas before they could just waltz in and buy one.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You still have to factor in the lower sales due to people buying LARGE numbers before last Oct.

It might be a year or two before things come back up.

But I agree, the HQL is daunting to a new person.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Nothing but long guns for me since 10/01/13 but I have bought a few of those. Not getting an HQL for my limited time left here.

Last edited:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Not to be a contrarian but...

The shutting down of this industry will be a feather in the FSA 2013 supporters' caps. :(

Compiling a list of casualties will make them feel like they can hang their "Mission Accomplished" sign up.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Glade Valley Sporting Goods
    N. Market Street
    Frederick

From what i have heard...
    Closed all retail operations because of the BS associated with the new law. Still will do class 3 transfers and some manufacturing.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Gotta' go back to 2008 for a reference here. During the late 2008 through spring 2009 OBam-bubble, gun sales were off the charts. Then after the bubble popped during the May-June 2009 timeframe, Shooters Discount was operating at only 29% of normal for the remainder of 2009 (six months, July through December inclusive). The following two years (2010 and 2011) the gun sales gradually increased during that timeframe to return back to normal beginning 2012.

Now for the most recent OMAbubble:

We have been operating at about 40% of normal from 10/01/13 to 05/31/14 (8 months). June and July have increased from that percentage to now pushing almost 100% of normal at this date. I hope this trend continues but I won't in any way bank on it due to prior history having taken 2.5 years to return to normal.

I think a few (by no means all) of the shops that went under or will go under this year did so because of piss poor customer relations, and/or high prices, and/or gross mismanagement of finances; spending their $$$ they made bigtime during the bubble and not having any of it, or very little of it, remaining to supplement their limited income during the S-L-O-W time that'll inevitably follow for some time after the bubble broke.

You still have to factor in the low gun sales due to people buying LARGE numbers of guns before last Oct.

It might be a year or two before things come back up (That's what she said:D).

But I agree, the HQL is daunting to a new person.

Slightly edited it for ya' for clarification (and humor:D)

Yes, this^^^ is most likely going to hold true based on prior history, but, maybe not (glimmer of hope here explained later in this post). People spent money hand-over-fist starting late December 2012 and continued throughout September 2013; gun sales off the charts again. They forgone vacations and other things they wanted to do such as home improvements, repairs, etc, to buy guns before the 10/01/13 deadline. However, as per Shooters Discount, there was NOT an increase in plastic payments (prorated in proportion to the increased sales) during that period. Back during the OBAbubble in 2008 into 2009, plastic payments went through the roof and beyond,way outta' proportion, along with alotta' "old money", yes, older currency printed years ago that people had stashed away for 20 or more years. This occurred only very little this time during 2013's bubble. Based on my observations and comparisons of the last two big bubbles, I suspect that the business will return back to normal for the remaining dealers in a good bit of time sooner than it did after the busted bubble of 2009.

The shutting down of this industry will be a feather in the FSA 2013 supporters' caps. :(

Compiling a list of casualties will make them feel like they can hang their "Mission Accomplished" sign up.

Sooooooo true ^^^^^^. :sad20::mad54:

Chriss613

Jul 21, 2012
    Before reading this thread I tried calling The Gun Rack earlier today and was wondering why I got the message "the number you have dialed is not in service" and was gonna drive over there during lunch tomorrow. They have been around for so long it never occurred to me that they closed. What a bummer.

srephwed

Jul 25, 2010
    harford county
    this is all sad but expected.some say we should pay the fees and keep buying guns while we can.I quess this may help the shops a little but this is Maryland.spend that 50 dollars for the license and the 50 plus for fingerprints and the cost of training on campains for people who care about us.the honest hard working people of Maryland.Till we change Anapolis we change nothing.By the way how do you like watching your grand daughter enter a public toilet knowing that we now welcome a man dressed as a woman?Take back Maryland in 2014 then our country in 2016!!!!!!

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Tough to pin it all on FSA necessarily, but surely it played a part. Constitutional Firearms, Beretta, Bel Air Gun and Pawn come to mind.

They libturds dont care if there facts are correct. So if the reason these places left isnt known then they left because of the bill why not use the enemies logic. Its time to stop fighting fair.

Another business to add: Estate Brokers of Maryland in HdG.

They screwed them selves by not releasing after 7 days during the MSP backlog. They also had poor customer service and limited inventory - more of a pawn shop (98%) than gun shop (2%). Plus changing their transfer price after I had a quote drove me away to The Bank Gun and Pawn who have much better customer service.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I read here somewhere that our IP in Havre De Grace closed. Bank Gun and Pawn or something...

WRONG.

The Bank Gun and Pawn DID NOT CLOSE.

I was just there about 2 hours ago picking up my lowers. There was another shop nearby that did close. Estate something. EDIT - Estate Brokers of Maryland in HdG.

I told the ladies about this thread. They laughed about them going out of business. The mother said, they are there for the long run.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County

This may be the attitude we want them to have. If they feel like they have won they will stop fighting, which will give us an opportunity to make changes without a large public fight... seeing as the large public opposition doesn't seem to make a large difference in this state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom