• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Look at those deadly guns they're getting off the streets! Two broken single-barrel shotguns and an 870 with no finish left!

Remember kids: just because the guns never were and likely never will be used in crimes doesn't mean that it isn't a total waste of time and taxpayer money!

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    "Howard County police granted the I-Team access to the ballistics testing that happened after a 2013 collection in that county. None of the weapons that were test-fired came up as stolen, Weiner reported, and it's believed none of the turned-in weapons were ever used in a crime.

However, the county's police chief said he still believes it's a worthwhile venture."

Hilarious.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Wouldn't one technically be in violation of the transport laws if one was to bring a handgun to turn in? Is a gun buy back a legal destination to be headed to in order to transport a handgun?

Just wondering.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Wouldn't one technically be in violation of the transport laws if one was to bring a handgun to turn in? Is a gun buy back a legal destination to be headed to in order to transport a handgun?

Just wondering.

That's a pretty good question especially since you would be going there to transfer a handgun to a non-FFL :rolleyes:

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    Would it be illegal to stand next to them and offer more money then them? Might be able to pick up a lot of guns cheap

I know that in a lot of States people do "interrupt" the buy backs by purchasing guns out from under them.

Curiosity, got me thinking about if it could be done in MD.

While I can't remember if it was possible I do remember this:

The Gun buybacks in MD were pretty savvy. They held them on fenced property that you could not enter or stand outside of. The requirement was that you could only get on the property in a vehicle and that you had to have the gun in the trunk and was not allowed to get out of your vehicle. The officers retrieved the gun/s from your trunk and then gave you what was promised for the buy back.

So they made it pretty hard to intercept.

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    I think a bunch of guys tried a counter buy back in Laurel last year. The police didn't seem to have much issue since they stayed on public property and got someone with an FFL to do the paperwork on site.

other than that, we just throw junk in and get free stuff. your taxes at work...

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach

Just wondering.

Ive always wondered the legality of these. Is Baltimore City Police doing these transfers? And do they have a dealers license? I know this sounds ridiculous but I cant find any exceptions in the law?

"PUBLIC SAFETY
    TITLE 5. FIREARMS
    SUBTITLE 1. REGULATED FIREARMS
    Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-106 (2013)
    § 5-106. Dealer's license
    (a) Required. -- A person must lawfully possess a dealer's license issued by the Secretary
    before the person engages in the business of selling, renting, or transferring regulated
    firearms.

(b) One license for each place of business. -- One dealer's license is required for each place
    of business where regulated firearms are sold."

If this is an illegal transfer, than that would also mean the person bringing the regulated firearm to the buyback was breaking the law as well because 4-203 clearly states

"the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale"

Im not really good with this stuff, but Ive always assumed these are not legal and people just overlook it and assume its the police and they can do what they wish?

Sorry for the eye sore of a post with all the quotations and cut and pasted off the internet mess... Again not very good at this.

Cheap Guns in Baltimore City, MD, 26 July 2014

By Dean Weingarten

'You can help make the turn-in in your area more effective by standing on the curb with your “Cash for Guns” sign, or at a folding table, willing to offer more than the gift card for firearms that are more valuable. It would be best if numerous private parties were available, as more good guns could then be transferred into responsible hands.'

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2014/07/cheap-guns-in-baltimore-city-md-26-july/#ixzz38NwS5wV8
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I know that in a lot of States people do "interrupt" the buy backs by purchasing guns out from under them.

Curiosity, got me thinking about if it could be done in MD.

While I can't remember if it was possible I do remember this:

The Gun buybacks in MD were pretty savvy. They held them on fenced property that you could not enter or stand outside of. The requirement was that you could only get on the property in a vehicle and that you had to have the gun in the trunk and was not allowed to get out of your vehicle. The officers retrieved the gun/s from your trunk and then gave you what was promised for the buy back.

So they made it pretty hard to intercept.

There have been several instances where folks stood on public property (or even private property with permission) on the route to the buy back and made offers. In Laurel, we actually walked up to the car with the police officer, let them make first contact and then made an offer for the firearm(s) after seeing the firearm(s).

Both were fairly successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom