• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

pfrazier

Nov 10, 2010
    Columbia
    Seems like more energy should be put into getting Frosh out of office. All this work and effort are for nothing with him as the Senate chair. :sad20:

Has he allowed ANY pro-gun bill a vote within the committee?

I don't see how they let that idiot back into the same office, election after election.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Seriously??

I don't think Vallario wants to stir the hornets nest by forcing the less than vocal ones to vote for something Frosh will never even give a hearing too.

On that note, it is not terribly uncommon. FOPA was desk drawer vetoed by in the US House until the NRA organized a campaign to get it petitioned to the floor.

thedaego

Jul 8, 2009
    Woodbine
    (apologies for my lack of political knowledge in advance. )

Aside from Frosh's seat as senator for district 16, what gives him the ability to keep this bill from getting scheduled for a vote? Is it his seat within the Legislative Policy Committee? I'd love to see a diagram of the process.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    (apologies for my lack of political knowledge in advance. )

Aside from Frosh's seat as senator for district 16, what gives him the ability to keep this bill from getting scheduled for a vote? Is it his seat within the Legislative Policy Committee? I'd love to see a diagram of the process.

He's the chairman of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, where all of our bills are heard. The chairman of a committee, at his/her sole discretion, can choose to bring a bill up for a vote, or let it die quietly without one. If it never receives a vote in committee, absent some extremely rare circumstances, it never goes to the full Senate floor for a final vote.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    It's incredibly sad how each year so much work goes into offering testimony and pleading our case, only for it to be sat on like it does every year.

And for that reason, many, including myself just don't bother anymore. I know it's not right, but who has the energy for MD politics. Always seems like such a grind.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    He's the chairman of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, where all of our bills are heard. The chairman of a committee, at his/her sole discretion, can choose to bring a bill up for a vote, or let it die quietly without one. If it never receives a vote in committee, absent some extremely rare circumstances, it never goes to the full Senate floor for a final vote.

WTF??? What's the point of voting people into office if one person makes the decision anyways?!? :mad54:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Any for that reason, many, including myself just don't bother anymore. I know it's not right, but who has the energy for MD politics. Always seems like such a grind.

You're right; it is a grind. There's absolutely no getting around that.

It's a grind for those of us doing well more than our fair share because folks like you have decided fighting for your rights simply isn't worth it.

thedaego

Jul 8, 2009
    Woodbine

Thank you. I was trying to find this info on http://www.msa.md.gov was going in circles. Finally found it here: http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/05sen/html/com/05judp.html

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it is possible for 1 person (even if he is the chair), out of eleven on the committee to simply ignore an issue that is so clearly defined as a real problem (as shown by this hearing).

Edit: I suppose that someone must be responsible for defining what it is a committee is to discuss, otherwise there would be no agenda. That being said, if those on the committee were paying attention or cared to (BIG IF!), I would think they'd request that the chairman address the bill.

Last edited:

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    This is why we need more.

More of what? More people testifying in Annapolis, at rallies etc etc etc? I agree but also feel, if this is the process, it would just be a bigger folder for Frosh to throw in the drawer.

I think their needs to be serious emphasis in going after Frosh preventing him from doing this every year. Who do we need to get involved to relieve him of his duty or make it so he can't just stick bills in drawers HE doesn't see fit to be voted on? I think continually testifying year after year only to achieve the same results is insane. I agree we need more but we also need more, with an additional focus on bypassing Frosh somehow.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    That being said, if those on the committee were paying attention or cared to (BIG IF!), I would think they'd request that the chairman address the bill.

Would it help to send emails asking the committee to request the bill be brought before everyone? Can they do that? I guess I'm asking what the work around is?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom