• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Took my Romanian Tokarev out to the range this morning for the first time. Each time I fired, the slide would lock open as if it was recognizing an empty magazine. I have two different mags and had the same issue with both. I was shooting PPU FMJ. AS I don't know much about this firearm, wanted to check in here first as I'm sure it's probably a simple (or possible ignorance) issue.

Jul 1, 2012
    Assuming you're not accidentally knocking the slide lock up on recoil :) check to see if the tab of the slide lock is sticking out inside the frame enough to get knocked up by zee boollits.
    That's all I got...

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Also check out the takedown clip on the right side of the frame, make sure it is decently tight where it locks in to the slide stop detents.

If it's too loose, your slide stop can engage under the force of recoil.

Also, did you take apart both mags by any chance? Make sure the mag springs are in correctly...

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Thanks for the feedback. Will take a closer look to those two items mentioned.

Re the mags, I have not taken them apart so that shouldn't be an issue.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Does the slide lock lever spring back down on its own?
    Are you keeping your thumb away from the lever?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK, having sympathy pains for you here. I just happened to take my Yugo Tok out this day at lunch time and guess what? FTF similar to your description up top.
    I took pics.
    Its not getting stuck on the slide lock, you can see that in the picture.
    The bullet is getting stuck at the feed ramp area.
    I'm shooting reloads and they have a lead tip on them. I've shot probably several hundred reloads with the formula I'm using. I was thinking my mag was not locking in well cause it kind of sags down. I left my other mag in the car so I did not try the other mag. I"m wondering when I cleaned the tok last though. Maybe my slide is dirty or something. I did not have any trouble racking the first rounds, but I was getting 1-2 of these per magazine.

Attachments

• TokJam1.jpg
      TokJam1.jpg
      54.6 KB · Views: 161
    • TokJam2.jpg
      TokJam2.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 165
    • TokJamSlide.JPG
      TokJamSlide.JPG
      65.8 KB · Views: 165

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I got a new Yugo Tok magazine from Wideners and it wouldn't feed worth a crap. I compared it to my other Yugo mags and the feed lips weren't even close to being cut correctly.

Emailed Wideners and they let me exchange it.

Also, make sure the mag spring is in correctly. It's easy to get it backwards, which can cause improper feed angle.

I use that same bullet in some of my 7.62x25 loads and haven't had issues, so definitely sounds like a mag issue.

What powder are you using by the way? I noticed AA #7 leaves a lot of unburned powder everywhere unless I go real hot with it.

I would think a Tok would have to be insanely dirty to cause feeding issues, but then again, it's a Yugo, which generally have pretty rough machining. That could lead to having malfunctions with a level of crud that wouldn't hurt something with smoother machine work. My Yugo was machined so rough, the slide would stay back on it's own just from friction in the rough spots. Had to take the stones to a few spots.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I will have to take a look at the mags.
    I'll be eager to bring it next time cause it was shooting pretty good for the Tok. Not as good a trigger as the Walther P1 or Star B, but it was shooting better than it has before. And fireballs :)
    I'm using Bullseye.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I will have to take a look at the mags.
    I'll be eager to bring it next time cause it was shooting pretty good for the Tok. Not as good a trigger as the Walther P1 or Star B, but it was shooting better than it has before. And fireballs :)
    I'm using Bullseye.

My best loads have been with WC820 surplus powder (M1 Carbine pulldown powder), I've tested 5 or 6 different powders in it and like that the best.

I've gotten nice accuracy out of all my Toks, even the Yugo cheap-o from AIM that has a real rough bore. The only one I've seen that won't shoot well is my dad's Romanian, it's terrible.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I've seen this happen.

the advice given so far is spot on

It could be that you are inadvertently interacting with the slide stop/release while shooting, check your grip.

Secondly, depending on what kind of Tok it is, some magazines from different toks can interfere from the inside with the slide stop. You are not using M57 mags or polish ones are you?

Third, if the retaining clip is not engaged, or not engaged FULLY, there can be hangups and other problems.

There are also issues if the link pin is messed up, or with other problems with the link, or the recoil spring.

It should be easy to figure out and diagnose, mine are some of the best guns I've ever owned.

I REALLY am one note here, but I am going to regail you all one more time with yet another story of meloniting.

I bought one of the Polish Toks that Wideners had a while ago with nearly no finish left on them, and after filing out the deeper gouges sent it off for nitriding. inluding the barrel, but not the hammer pack or link or link pin.

H&M does good work.

Just as an aside, anyone planning to do nitriding, do it by the lot of 200 lbs with a coupld friends and do all the stuff you want to get done at the same time. that way you can cover all the guns, as well as any knicknacks or magazine bodies or whathave you all at the same time. H&M was even cool enough to clean out all the nitride salt from inside the barrel. When it came back it looked like the inside of a USP barrel.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    oh, but DO NOT SEND IN THE EXTRACTOR TO BE NiTRIDED WIth the rest of the gun. I did and only by the grace of goodness was I saved from the chore of having to try to find a new one when the guy who did the processing took it out from the batch before processing with a note coming back saying that extractors made with inherent springyness are no good for nitriding- glock type ones where the spring is separate though are just fine.

Jul 1, 2012
    The TT33/TTC extractor does have a separate spring and rotates about a pin so doesn't rely on it's own "springyness"; but the extractor is heat-treated I believe so it's probably good advice not to mess with it's temper. Same with any of the springs I would guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom