• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrunkUncles

Mar 18, 2011
    Edgewater MD
    I smacked this girl in the backyard last night....

fox.jpg

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    very pretty & nice shootin! what was the range?

If it were my backyard, and I weren't raising chickens I'd be tempted to feed her for a while and see if she'd bring some kits around in the spring. I like foxes. they eat squirrels.

DrunkUncles

Mar 18, 2011
    Edgewater MD
    Range 25yrds, I shot it because it would not leave... I have kids and dogs (so do my neighbors).
    My neighbor and I tried several times to scare it away and it would not go. We were both worried it might be sick. So I pulled out the bow and quick and quiet....

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Range 25yrds, I shot it because it would not leave... I have kids and dogs (so do my neighbors).
    My neighbor and I tried several times to scare it away and it would not go. We were both worried it might be sick. So I pulled out the bow and quick and quiet....

That is definitely not normal behavior, and in these parts that too often means rabies. You took the prudent course of action. :thumbsup: I hope you were very careful when you skinned it. I would have sent the skull/spine/skinned carcass to the DOH for a rabies test...

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    If it were my backyard, and I weren't raising chickens I'd be tempted to feed her for a while and see if she'd bring some kits around in the spring. I like foxes. they eat squirrels.

ditto - also helps to keep mouse population under control

but the behavior the OP mentioned is odd for a fox - they are usually very shy
    The ones in our yard keep to the tree line during the day and also at night if the dog is out

DrunkUncles

Mar 18, 2011
    Edgewater MD
    Yeah I would have rather not had to shot her... But that was some pretty strange fox behavior. As far as the rabies, I warned my taxidermist (who just happens to be my cousin) so he could take all the proper precautions.

I'm gonna get her mounted in the Mantle style... Was thinking about getting the skull camo dipped but I have not made up my mind.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    Yeah I would have rather not had to shot her... But that was some pretty strange fox behavior. As far as the rabies, I warned my taxidermist (who just happens to be my cousin) so he could take all the proper precautions.

I'm gonna get her mounted in the Mantle style... Was thinking about getting the skull camo dipped but I have not made up my mind.

I would have shot it also, strange to see them like that.

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    I had to dispatch a fox a few years ago who exhibited the same behavior. I called Dept of Fish and Wildlife and they told me to bury the bloody thing and they don't bother with the tests for rabies.

DrunkUncles

Mar 18, 2011
    Edgewater MD
    My neighbor called Animal Control once for a similar issue, they said they only deal in domesticated animals call DNR... DNR basically said big whoop... We can call the cops for you or you can do it yourself but they weren't gonna do anything. So now a couple of the neighbors call me Robin of the Hood to bust my chops but love it when I share the deer I harvest and help fill their freezers!

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    My neighbor called Animal Control once for a similar issue, they said they only deal in domesticated animals call DNR... DNR basically said big whoop... We can call the cops for you or you can do it yourself but they weren't gonna do anything. So now a couple of the neighbors call me Robin of the Hood to bust my chops but love it when I share the deer I harvest and help fill their freezers!

That's how they bust your chops? Robin of the Hood is a very badass nickname for a bowhunter. I can't even imagine what they call you when they're giving you complements.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    That may not be so strange behaver for the fox if people are feeding it or has been raised around people. Animals loose fear of people very quickly when people feed them, they start to see people as a source for food. and this can be dangerous and the animal will be come a nuisance.

IT was not a bad call to shoot the fox.

BeltBuckle and wlc if you're worried about mice and squirrels a few outside cats will take care of that and you can even pet them with little worries about being attacked

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    We had a backyard Fox this past summer too. We first noticed it going after our neighbor's berry bushes. He'd skulk around the berry bushes and then poke his head through our Leyland Cypress and stare at us sitting on our patio.

After a while, he would come through the bushes and just sit and look at my wife and I as we sat on the patio with drinks or dinner. He often fell asleep, woke up and stretched, then went back to sleep. He appeared quite tame, showing up at almost the exact same time in the evening almost every day. One day he brought a lady friend who sat behind him who watched him watch us!!!

Once I was asleep in a patio chair and awoke to find him about 5 feet away, sitting there, ears up just like a pet dog, just looking at me. I woke up startled, which startled him, and he then ran away.

He did not ever appear at all sick or rabid; I've seen what that looks like in raccoons & dogs both in the wild and as pets.

He'd never let us approach him, however. If we did, he'd run away but be back either in a couple of hours or the next day.

One friend of mine has raccoons so tame they come up on his deck and poke him in the leg with their noses so he'll give them a cat treat. He says the female raccoons even bring their brood around. And this in in Baltimore City!!! I keep telling him that's potentially very dangerous; I've seen coons in the wild fight each other and with dogs. I wouldn't want to get near a female coon with young.

What I think is happening is that these are social animals who are becoming accustomed to the suburbs and are feeding on either handouts and/or backyard pet dishes. My hope is that people don't over react. (not saying the OP did).

Here's our "pet" Fox. My neighbor's berry bushes are just on the other side of the Leyland Cypress behind the Fox.

Attachments

• IMG_1993S.jpg
      IMG_1993S.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 822
    • IMG_1999S.jpg
      IMG_1999S.jpg
      55 KB · Views: 745

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member