SAF files for cert in Drake (NJ may-issue)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RightNYer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2013
    A delay is only a problem if it involves homosexual "marriage." Otherwise, it's fine. Keep that in mind.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    We've been trying to tell that to the liberals here.

Here's the thing. When all of the gun control bills were in the legislature last year, Gary S. Schaer, chairman of the budget committee (which Assemblyman Charles Mainor moved the bills to after he couldn't get enough votes in the law and public safety committee) asked ANJRPC's Scott Bach, "shouldn't we want to make gun ownership as difficult as possible?" Gives you an idea of the mindset here. Gun ownership is a privilege. They even reluctantly follow LEOSA here. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming... Speaking of which, did you know that LEOSA has a provision specifically aimed at NJ's shitty laws? Yes, the hollow point provision was aimed squarely at NJ.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    We've been trying to tell that to the liberals here.

Here's the thing. When all of the gun control bills were in the legislature last year, Gary S. Schaer, chairman of the budget committee (which Assemblyman Charles Mainor moved the bills to after he couldn't get enough votes in the law and public safety committee) asked ANJRPC's Scott Bach, "shouldn't we want to make gun ownership as difficult as possible?" Gives you an idea of the mindset here. Gun ownership is a privilege. They even reluctantly follow LEOSA here. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming... Speaking of which, did you know that LEOSA has a provision specifically aimed at NJ's shitty laws? Yes, the hollow point provision was aimed squarely at NJ.

I feel your pain.. I still have property in NYC.

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    One difference between Drake and the RTC cases that came before it is that Moore is no longer looming in the background. I think the justices would very likely have taken Moore if they'd had the chance. Now that no longer is an option a case like Drake looks much more appealing.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    One difference between Drake and the RTC cases that came before it is that Moore is no longer looming in the background. I think the justices would very likely have taken Moore if they'd had the chance. Now that no longer is an option a case like Drake looks much more appealing.

IIRC by the time Woollard was denied cert Moore was already off the table. But they may definitely may prefer a Moore-like case (total carry ban).

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    What is the deadline for the Court to give an answer on Drake. I'm convinced that the Ninth will not issue a ruling on the three carry cases before it until there is an answer one way or another. The tone of the Drake cert is much different than the previous cert petitions and if it comes down to it I am wondering how the Ninth Circuit writs will look like. Most notably whether the NRA and SAF will be adversarial in their writing in order to get there case picked up and not the other or whether they will work together.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Should anything be read into the lack of amicus briefs unlike with the other SAF carry certs or is it just because the people that normally write the briefs are busy with the NRA's two cases.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Without digging into the SCOTUS rules (which I won't do in bed on my ipad :)) the Amici in the Woollard case came 1 day shy of 5 weeks from the Petition.
    http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.aspx?FileName=/docketfiles/13-42.htm

The Drake petition was filed January 9th. The same timeline points to NLT Monday for Amicus Briefs.

That was also the same date that MD's response was originally due (they got an extension). In the case of Drake, the response due date is Feb 12th, a week from tomorrow, so if that's the pattern, then we might see them as late as Wednesday next week.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Should anything be read into the lack of amicus briefs unlike with the other SAF carry certs or is it just because the people that normally write the briefs are busy with the NRA's two cases.

No lawyer ever turns in briefs early, it gives the opposition additional time to pick their argument apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom