• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    An opinion question for the assembled masses...

I have a blued Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle that was bought new in 2006. I purchased 5 of the never issued, Ruger 20-round factory LE mags and a few hundred rounds of .223. In the 2 1/2 years since purchase, I have never fired the rifle.

So, I'm looking at my case the the other day and thinking to myself that if in 2.5 years I've never fired the darn thing, it's probably time to send it off to greener pastures where it will get to play with other guns, into the loving arms of someone that actually likes .223. I'm thinking that I'd like an AK. So, here's my question, how much AK could I resonably expect to get in a straight up trade, if I could find someone to trade with? I know very little about the overall value of a large part of the AK lines. While I understand that there are always bad versions of good rifles, are there any versions I should avoid all together? Is there anyone that can give me a compelling reason not to make the trade at all?

Thoughts?

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I paid 450 new for my WASR-10, I paid 550 for a used mini 14. So you should be able to get a pretty good AK for a trade.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    If you can find someone who wants to trade for what you want, more power to you. You might just have better luck selling and putting the money towards a nice saiga and conversion.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Do you want a ak47 or 74? underfolder or sidefolder? fixed stock?

I think I'd prefer a fixed stock with wooden furniture, similar to your profile picture. The wire stocks look cool, but I'm thinking that for a prolonged shooter the wood is probably more practical. I do like the look of the wire stock Hungarian AK's on the market right now. I don't like the vertical foregrips that I see on some models.

What's the difference in an Ak74? If it's calibre I think I'd prefer to stick to 7.62x39.

I do want a chromed barrel, I know that much.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Joopaj,

In your trade make sure the AK has the bayonet lug, bayonet, and enclosed field cleaning kit. Holds a better trade value. That way, you'll have a little more than a battle club in case the ammo runs out;)

You might even be able to work a deal on one of those nifty 70 round drums to even up the dollar amount. The drums normally sale for $199.

FYI, there are non military versions available, with the bayonet lug filed down.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I think I'd prefer a fixed stock with wooden furniture, similar to your profile picture. The wire stocks look cool, but I'm thinking that for a prolonged shooter the wood is probably more practical. I do like the look of the wire stock Hungarian AK's on the market right now. I don't like the vertical foregrips that I see on some models.

What's the difference in an Ak74? If it's calibre I think I'd prefer to stick to 7.62x39.

I do want a chromed barrel, I know that much.

The wire stocks arent comfortable to shoot, and that brake on the hungarians is freaking loud.

The 74's shoot 5.45, which is dirt cheap (14-15 cents per round)in comparison to 7.62( 27-30 cents). They have very little to no recoil, and are much more accurate. The downside is much of the ammo is corrosive and the mags are much more expensive.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you do sell your Mini 14, how much you asking for it?

I really don't know to be honest. If I do sell it outright it would be a package deal only, mags, ammo and gun together. The beauty is that is a non-regulated and the mags are 20 rounders, so MD transferable.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    As far as what would be a good trade, rifle for rifle, nowadays a standard mini would be about comparable to a Yugo M70(non-chrome lined barrel) in good shape, of course ammo and the mags would boosts the value somewhat, or get you more AK stuff in the trade. The next step up would be a Lancaster standard series stamped reciever or a factory convereted Arsenal Saiga, they are worth about $200 more than a mini with 1 or 2 mags or about the value of your mini, 5 mags, and maybe 1 or 2 hundred rounds of ammo. From there it gets to be even more expensive when you get into milled AKs, or decked out aresenals and Lancasters, or even cousins of the AK family like Galils and VZ58s, they run at least $1K now, and you would be looking at at least a 3-4hundred dollar defecit.

as far as I have seem plain jane ranch rifles in good shape are going for about $600-$650, add the mags and you got about $700-750, ammo would fetch about .40-.50 a round, so about $800-$900 could be had from the right buyer with the pakage assuming 200-300 rounds of ammo, 5 mags and the rifle.

The best thing to do is wait for at least a couple months to trade, AK values are artificially inflated by at least a couple hundred dollars now, but mini 14s are not, and somewhat stable, it seems most of the pannick buying has left the minis alone, probably because of their escape of the last AWB, and outside of some of the newer 16" tactical models they are not in as much demand, so the prices are not jacked up as high, the mini will not be worth much less in a few months, but the same cannot be said for AKs. These same Romys selling for $600 now, were selling at and IMO worth $350 last summer.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The next step up would be a Lancaster standard series stamped reciever or a factory convereted Arsenal Saiga, they are worth about $200 more than a mini with 1 or 2 mags or about the value of your mini, 5 mags, and maybe 1 or 2 hundred rounds of ammo.

Do the Saigas take a standard AK mag?

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008

Not really, most of them need a bullet guide installed in the front (barrel) trunion. It isn't that hard to do yourself, takes about 15 minutes. All a bullet guide is, is a piece of curved metal as the saiga trunion is flat, and the AK mag has different feed ramp to it. This is done so they're not interoperable, and therefore easier to import as "sporting" rifles.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Century arms imports alot of AK types. I got a WASR-10, I like it. All the parts are interchangable with other ak parts, example:muzzle breaks, rail systems, mags, stocks, and triggers. I do wish I could find one of those Yugo RPK styles. I Highly recommend the romainian 75rnd drums.

rainman73guns

Dec 18, 2008
    I have a 223 Saiga AK. Instead of installing a bullet guide, just by a 20 or 30 round polymer magazine made by Surefire. Works great and has a last round bolt hold open feature. It cost like 40 bucks though the one made by Promag is cheaper but have some mixed reviews.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

In the very specific case of Arsenal factory converted Saigas, yes they do, they are completely converted, machined bullet guide and all. They are "restored" save for the semi-auto FCG, and are indeed Izmash marked Russian AKs built by Arsenal, they use standard AK mags, and are very nice. Because of the import ban, Saigas are "sporterized" when they come into the country, and are routinely converted by many companies, and owners, with some conversions consiting of poor quality bubbaing, and others like the Arsenals being top quality factory machined, built and tested rifles that are amongst the best there are. I would be leery about buying any rifle that hasn't been converted by a manufacturer, there are many small details that are rigged to work, but don't hold up, epoxied in PVC bullet guides tend to be popular, but get chewed up over time.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thanks alucard, I just looked up the Arsenals on gunbroker. I'd prefer wooden furniture, but they're nice looking rifles.

I also looked up the 74's, the Tantals in particular. Nice looking rifle, but I worry about ammo availability when the surplus dries up.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    In the very specific case of Arsenal factory converted Saigas, yes they do, they are completely converted, machined bullet guide and all. They are "restored" save for the semi-auto FCG, and are indeed Izmash marked Russian AKs built by Arsenal, they use standard AK mags, and are very nice. Because of the import ban, Saigas are "sporterized" when they come into the country, and are routinely converted by many companies, and owners, with some conversions consiting of poor quality bubbaing, and others like the Arsenals being top quality factory machined, built and tested rifles that are amongst the best there are. I would be leery about buying any rifle that hasn't been converted by a manufacturer, there are many small details that are rigged to work, but don't hold up, epoxied in PVC bullet guides tend to be popular, but get chewed up over time.

Totally agree, there is much bubba-ing going on, but the right bullet guide and the same type Arsenal uses is only $15.00 ar KVAR. I'm not advocating PVC or other stuff, and there is a lot of crappy work, but even reputable dealers have sold some questionable conversions, heck, even the Atlantic Arms conversions I saw had a bead of weld instead of a bullet guide....

Ultimate Member
    An opinion question for the assembled masses...

I have a blued Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle that was bought new in 2006. I purchased 5 of the never issued, Ruger 20-round factory LE mags and a few hundred rounds of .223. In the 2 1/2 years since purchase, I have never fired the rifle.

So, I'm looking at my case the the other day and thinking to myself that if in 2.5 years I've never fired the darn thing, it's probably time to send it off to greener pastures where it will get to play with other guns, into the loving arms of someone that actually likes .223. I'm thinking that I'd like an AK. So, here's my question, how much AK could I resonably expect to get in a straight up trade, if I could find someone to trade with? I know very little about the overall value of a large part of the AK lines. While I understand that there are always bad versions of good rifles, are there any versions I should avoid all together? Is there anyone that can give me a compelling reason not to make the trade at all?

Thoughts?

you may want to bring it to a gun shop and ask them if they want to trade. the mini 14 usually sells so they'd trade you. Ak prices are pretty high now. $600 for the cheapest models. You may be able to get $800 for the mini 14 and the magazines.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Classic was offering wasrs for under 500, and Centerfire had 7.62 saigas for 379 earlier this week.

I would say away from the century built tantals, there are a bunch floating around with an incorrect twist rate which causes 5.45 to lose stability and keyhole. Wasrs are just modded by century, the tantals are built from scratch, by century, nuff said. I think a plain jane bulgarian 74 will run 600ish, Check centerfire and classic arms.

For a saiga in .223, it is best just to stick with surefire saiga mags, they work, and they are easy to find.

For a saiga in 7.62, you only need the bullet guide if the ak mags wont work without it. I have seen some that didn't need the guide, just 2-3 swipes of a file across the mag catch. The guide is easy to install if you do need it, and you cant beat $10 ak mags.

The arsenal "legion" saigas are priced too high for me, but the front end is russian military spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom