• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I used helpmeshoot.com a few years ago for utah permit.

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    Yeah someone mentioned them the other day and they're doing a class in Frederick soon so I might do that. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the list of approved training from VSP. Unfortunately an HQL or equivalent is not listed as acceptable. I doubt it will work. IANAL

Documentation of Competence with a Handgun
    The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

• Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state.
    • Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.
    • Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state.
    • Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
    • Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
    • Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.
    • Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
    • Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
    • Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.
    A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any such course or class, an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant, or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall satisfy the requirement for demonstration of competence with a handgun.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Here is the list of approved training from VSP. Unfortunately an HQL or equivalent is not listed as acceptable. I doubt it will work. IANAL

Re-read what you posted. I think it is item 7 (on my phone sorry). A training course including video by a state certified trainer. Why would the HQL class not qualify? I am sure it would.

In any event the free online MPD course works.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Perhaps. .

How would VSP know the requirements for a MD HQL? I guess if you had the training certificate it would work. But the mere possession of an HQL doesn't mean you took a class as many are exempt from training.

So I guess the answer is IMO the HQL alone would not suffice. The training certificate would.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Perhaps. .

How would VSP know the requirements for a MD HQL? I guess if you had the training certificate it would work. But the mere possession of an HQL doesn't mean you took a class as many are exempt from training.

So I guess the answer is IMO the HQL alone would not suffice. The training certificate would.
    True, that is what I intended, should have clarified.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Re-read what you posted. I think it is item 7 (on my phone sorry). A training course including video by a state certified trainer. Why would the HQL class not qualify? I am sure it would.

In any event the free online MPD course works.
    I think bullet points 3 and 7 are pertinent.

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    I think bullet points 3 and 7 are pertinent.

that was basically my thinking.. if you've received a MD HQL, one way or another you've been shown the basics and are competent enough to have been deemed worthy by the state of MD of purchasing a handgun. I would imagine that showing my certificate of completion of the training that I received would suffice, but like I said, I think I'll instead get the UT ccw instead as it is recognized in DE and PA for non-resident permit holders

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Having an HQL should mean that you either took the class or previously watched the online traing course, which is all I used to get mine.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• utah.jpg
      utah.jpg
      34.6 KB · Views: 159

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    @swinokur thanks for the info.. do you know about DE and VA's stance on NR permits?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The best place to get reciprocity info is the state AG or State Police site. They are official state sites.

handgunlaw.us is excellent but not authoritative in terms of legality.

Last edited:

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    if you've received a MD HQL, one way or another you've been shown the basics and are competent enough to have been deemed worthy by the state of MD of purchasing a handgun.

Having an HQL should mean that you either took the class or previously watched the online traing course,

Both statements not true.

Many people who have the HQL have not been shown the basics or may not be competent with the handgun, and have never watched a video course or took a class.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you brought a firearm from another state, you didn't need to watch or take any training to get your HQL. All it needed to be was a previously legally possessed regulated firearm. It could also could have been a now banned long gun, as the law says "regulated", not a handgun. In fact, if you have a MD PTCH permit, you can get an HQL for free and need not have taken HQL training if your permit was issued before 10-1-13.

So having an HQL is no guarantee of any training without an actual class certification. Too many exceptions.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I got mine about 9 months ago. It took every bit of 60 plus days. I actually emailed them and told them because of the delay, my VA permit actually expired. I got it a week later. I sent my paperwork in 80 days before my expiration. The web site recommends 60 days.

Not their best performance IMO. Hopewfully things have improved.

But at least they treat you like a citizen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom