Can for .223...advice from those with experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamasung

Feb 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Fellow hearing enthusiasts-

I'm in the market for a 223 can. I'm not brand new to suppressors (have an AWC Amphibian II and an Osprey on the way), but I haven't had an opportunity for firsthand comparisons of rifle suppressors and am hoping for some advice from those of you that own, have heard, and/or used a bunch from different makers. The host weapon will be a piston AR with a 16" bbl (Ruger SR-556). I've looked at many of the major offerings and read many opinions and there doesn't seem to be a clear winner out there- everyone has their favorites. I don't know how to interpret that- are they more or less equivalent in sound reduction and folks just each have their favorite brand or is it something else? Much seems to depend on the combo of suppressor and host weapon, but obviously "try before you buy" isn't an option with this type of purchase.

I've considered the Gemtech G5, YHM 3600, and SilencerCo SpecWar, but there are obviously other options available from AAC, Surefire, AWC, Lane and others. Can you guys tell me your experiences with cans on AR's and with the various manufacturers? Interested in sound reduction, quality, ease of cleaning/servicing, durability. Also- direct thread on vs. quick detach? Extra points if you've done direct comparisons!

Thanks in advance for any advice!:party29:
    Kyle

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Specwar556 - $575
    556-SD - $650
    Saker556 - $785

It's mostly personal preference for cans from the big guys. If it were me, I'd likely go with the saker because of the MAAD modules that are available, but again, it's all personal preference.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Whatever you do go direct thread! I run a TBAC 223 P-1 and I love it. Prefer it to the YHm, AAC SDN6, Or the saker!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    All semi-auto with occasional rapid fire and even then I doubt I will be doing long strings. No bump or full-auto.

YET! I would have said the same a while back... Buy assuming the worst condition, you will always be good! This is not an items you ever want to have to upgrade. Buy a good one that can handle everything now... is my advice.

I personally don't really care for the ring of the AAC FH. I would probably go with the Saker myself and plan to shortly.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Another option over direct thread is the brake attach, like the ThunderBeast. Best of both worlds, quicker to attach or remove, but little to no POI shift.

TBs are reported to have no POI shift.

And the new TB cans have an available Flash Suppressor for mounting, instead of the muzzle brake.

I went with a TB CB series .30 cal can, can be used on .223 and .300 Blackout.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Another option over direct thread is the brake attach, like the ThunderBeast. Best of both worlds, quicker to attach or remove, but little to no POI shift.

TBs are reported to have no POI shift.

And the new TB cans have an available Flash Suppressor for mounting, instead of the muzzle brake.

I went with a TB CB series .30 cal can, can be used on .223 and .300 Blackout.

I just purchased the same TBA CB9 for my 308/300/223 can as well. POI shift is big for me.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I personally don't really care for the ring of the AAC FH.

I guess that I was responsible for that. But it is only the long 3 prong AAC FH, not the brake models. And that day, with that particular upper (11.5" heavy barrel) was the first time that I had ever had that experience.

Yamasung

Feb 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I hear what you're saying and will definitely go for something that will stand up to whatever I may dish out someday!

So I'm also hearing mixed opinions on direct thread vs. QD. Don't like the idea of shooting the suppressor loose which makes me think I'm perhaps better suited to a QD, though honestly I don't imagine after purchase that I'll be shooting much without the suppressor on so QD is not a requirement if direct thread will lock up tight and not shoot loose.

Haven't looked at ThunderBeast suppressors before, but will take a gander. Didn't realize they were so well regarded vs. the competition.

Yamasung

Feb 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Interesting read. Wasn't even aware of a couple of those manufacturers! AAC certainly has taken a bit of a popularity hit and it appears SilencerCo is coming up along with TBAC, of course. Hadn't heard of Jet before. No Gemtech surprises me.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I guess that I was responsible for that. But it is only the long 3 prong AAC FH, not the brake models. And that day, with that particular upper (11.5" heavy barrel) was the first time that I had ever had that experience.

This. Only the 3 prong FH has the ping.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I have several rifle suppressors. A Thunderbeast Ti on my long range rifle and YHM Ti's QD's in 7.62 and 5.56. I never have a problem with the YHM coming loose and I like that I can quickly switch them to multiple hosts. Titanium is the way to go, you don't want a brick on the end of your rifle, it gets heavy quick and throws the balance way off. Little more expensive but well worth the cost.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

No, not completely. Silencerco has a complete YT video on the subject. I don't like the idea of the three prong to begin with. We had one on the M16 in Vietnam and got rid of it... why repeat past mistakes. Put a ring on the front to keep it from grabbing stuff. Frankly I don't like the Saker FH either but without the ting... is an improvement.

...So I'm also hearing mixed opinions on direct thread vs. QD. Don't like the idea of shooting the suppressor loose which makes me think I'm perhaps better suited to a QD, though honestly I don't imagine after purchase that I'll be shooting much without the suppressor on so QD is not a requirement if direct thread will lock up tight and not shoot loose......

Yes a OD is clearly the way to go IMHO. I would not buy a non pistol suppressor without one. They are going to get hot quick and then its a pain in the ass.

This. Only the 3 prong FH has the ping.

Yes but muzzle brakes just suck on 223. I would not consider one myself.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I'd consider a 30 cal can. More versatile, and I've noticed significantly less gas escaping through the charging handle using a 30 cal can on .223 vs a .223-specific can. It's larger, but that added volume really cuts down on the gas on the back end. Also, you definitely want a QD unit that won't shoot loose. Once they get hot, they are a pain to tighten.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Also, you definitely want a QD unit that won't shoot loose. Once they get hot, they are a pain to tighten.

I've heard this but I don't have any 30 cal cans yet, mine is in jail. So how do the tactical guys that run thread on cans do it? They shoot lots of supersonic rounds, do theirs loosen up and have to tighten between stages?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom