Best CCW Sub Compact Auto or Mini Revolver for Chubby Hands?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Glock 26. Reliable, accurate , compact, reasonably priced and never fails to fire.

Yep. My personal favorite. I carry mine in the summer in Florida with just a t-shirt and shorts. It's a little cluncky, but it carries well in a crossbreed super tuck.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    You are also saying that your chubby hands are too big for a G19, so why go smaller pistol? This confuses me.

Hey Blaster, just to clarify, I wasn't saying the G19 was too big for my chubby hands, but rather it seemed too big for me to carry and not print. The G19 is arguably the best fitting pistol I have, as well as the one I shoot the best - all this in spite of the fact that I hate Glocks, but if ya shoot it well, ya gotta have one. I actually find the grip damn near perfect for my chubby paws, with short fingers, hence why the consideration of a G26. Sorry for that confusion.

And again, I'll try to get some pics up of my fat arse with my IWB and the G19 here in a sec.

--JB

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Got with any of the following:

Ruger LC9
    Kel Tec PF9
    Khar CM9
    Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380

All are useable for big hands so long as you get aftermarket grips. Also, you can use your regular pants (38) as these are very thin.

Thanks! I'll look into those as I'm able. I may have to consider something thinner.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I carried the glock 19 and 26 for some time. To me there was almost no difference in the feel of the two, as in they were both too big. I recommend a single stack 9mm, like a M&P shield or a Wather PPS. I personally carry a G42 and love it, but that might be to small for you.

Single Stack 9's are a good idea, yeah. I fondled at G42 at United and it actually felt too small for me. Really wanted to like it but alas... Still prefer 9 or 45 anyway. Thanks though!

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Glock 26. Reliable, accurate , compact, reasonably priced and never fails to fire.

I'm finding it hard not to get one, no doubt... Plus if I can learn to shoot one as well as my G19, its a lock. I'm curious how heavy it'll be in a shirt holster though. Will have to show up at a shop with one on and give all these choices a go I think. Thanks for the vote!

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    OK folks, HIDE YER DAUGHTERS cus I'm sharin da goods! :eek:

Here's me with my G19, in a Galco King Tuc IWB and Ruger gun belt at 3:00PM. Name Taken, to your credit, it actually is more doable as you mentioned at 3:00 vs 4:30, which def sags on me. However I do still print while sitting. See below.

c2513be18ffaff0eb988523f953665e2.jpg

ee8ca45adb8f326aeed44df3338048f3.jpg

874034f22a92d36e1b1f874fe4a0c1fb.jpg

Man, I really gotta do something bout this "Baby Weight." :cool:

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    As a fellow fat guy, let me save you a lot of time and money. Your best bet will be either a Ruger LCP with a wallet holster or a Kahr Arms, pocket carry, with a Sticky holster. Both are all-day comfortable for those of us that husky. The 45CM would be my call, but the 9CM is another great choice. They are both small and fit in the front pocket of most of my jeans. Everyone swears by the Crossbreed Supertuck and for a IWB holster, and I guess it's OK (I used one for a while), but for all day carry, pocket is pretty hard to beat.

I like the CM9, sticky holster combo. Works well.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Carried a 1911 cocked and locked for years. Its safe, remember you need to take the safety off, squeeze the grip and pull the trigger. That's three things to defeat before it goes boom. Never had an issue.

:thumbsup: Training Training Training....and more Training no doubt in particular if I go that route. Thanks!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I'm finding it hard not to get one, no doubt... Plus if I can learn to shoot one as well as my G19, its a lock. I'm curious how heavy it'll be in a shirt holster though. Will have to show up at a shop with one on and give all these choices a go I think. Thanks for the vote!

I used to carry a 1911. Im a fanboy...but

For CCW,its a choice between a glock26 for summer month.( loaded with +p hollow points) or a Glock32 for colder weather.

The glocks are resistant to rust from sweat and oil. Its cheap enough to beat up and scratch. Its a tool, just like a good pocket knife. A hybrid holster like the crossbreed supertuck makes it concealable and comfortable to carry.

I also carry, glock17 mags as spares. Just in case the first 11 rounds dont do it.

Plus two mag extensions gives it more ergonomics and added firepower. i refuse to carry anything smaller. I have several 380 auto that are safe queens at this point.

Three years ago, ive done the scotch brite treatment on the glock26 slide. The black coating completely sanded out. Its still rust free. After riding in sweat soaked IWB holsters. Nothing can come close to this.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Must be some other Kahr line of pistols out there. They have a markedly short length of pull . Work well for small to medimum hands , but not so much for big hands with long fingers.

But meanwhile for the OP : We're not trying to blow you off with chicles , but YOU really need to try lots of pistols in YOUR hands.

Nope, not 'some other KAHR line of pistols". You're correct, the trigger pull is short compared to some others but finger length & trigger pull/feel can be affected by the grip combined with how meaty (fat) your hand is in the web between the thumb and index finger. I/E fat palms sometimes position the finger further back.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I used to carry a 1911. Im a fanboy...but

For CCW,its a choice between a glock26 for summer month.( loaded with +p hollow points) or a Glock32 for colder weather.

The glocks are resistant to rust from sweat and oil. Its cheap enough to beat up and scratch. Its a tool, just like a good pocket knife. A hybrid holster like the crossbreed supertuck makes it concealable and comfortable to carry.

I also carry, glock17 mags as spares. Just in case the first 11 rounds dont do it.

Plus two mag extensions gives it more ergonomics and added firepower. i refuse to carry anything smaller. I have several 380 auto that are safe queens at this point.

Three years ago, ive done the scotch brite treatment on the glock26 slide. The black coating completely sanded out. Its still rust free. After riding in sweat soaked IWB holsters. Nothing can come close to this.

Thanks fer the vote SCARCQB! I'll probably get one even if I consider other additional options. Any opinions on the G30 for carry? Too big? Too heavy? Never really handled one - just G17's, G19's, and G23's.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for the reply - sweet lookin gun, which I may have to try if for nothing just for fun. I'm actually opting for 9mm CCW solution though, as I do come to think of it have a Bersa Thunder CC 380 in the safe, that most def would be able to use many of the options you mentioned. I just kinda figure, if I'm going to carry at all, I'd want 9mm or 38+P at a minimum, but who knows.

BTW, if anyone has some interest in my Bersa CC, PM me, as maybe I'll use those funds for whatever I do end up buying. Mine looks like this:

http://www.bersa.com/bersa-thunder-CC-380-nkl

--JB
    Just to clarify model numbers, Sig P938 = 9mm, Sig P238 = .380. My son has the P238, I have the P938. My gun is not that much bigger. My wife has a Ruger LCP. I have big hands like you and I don't have any problems with that gun either. It is very concealable. My preference is for a good set of sights. I can shoot the P938 just as well as my Sig P228 (full sized) pistol.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Just to clarify model numbers, Sig P938 = 9mm, Sig P238 = .380. My son has the P238, I have the P938. My gun is not that much bigger. My wife has a Ruger LCP. I have big hands like you and I don't have any problems with that gun either. It is very concealable. My preference is for a good set of sights. I can shoot the P938 just as well as my Sig P228 (full sized) pistol.

Thanks! All good to know. I'm def a Sig fan - MK25 owner. I do wish I shot it better though. I'll look into the P938.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I carry a PF9 in my pocket in a Galco pocket holster when I wear cargo pants. When I wear jeans I carry IWB with a custom kydex holster I got at a gun show. Since it's so thin, it's not noticeable and it's not super heavy like a double-stack mini-9mm. I've carried both ways for the past two years, never had a problem.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    The trick is a good set of pants and a stiff belt. Im damn near 300 pounds with a big guy and I can comfortably carry and conceal an HK P30 and I do this EVERY DAY ALL DAY. If you are wanting something smaller and are familiar with Glock, a 42 is a good option. If I want to go smaller I carry a Walther PPK/S. .380 haters are people who don't carry anyway, so I would give the small .380s a once over.

Side note, I've concealed my Mk25 as well, everything comes down to what you wear and not so much body type. A friend of mine on here conceals a USP Tactical every day and he by no means overweight. As a big guy who carries everywhere all the time not just at my house...I'll let you in on a secret. The Kydex IWB fad sucks for bigger guys. I use wither a galco suede or a cheap uncle mikes. Both have served me well everywhere I've gone. I've carried at rodeos, movies, concerts, and even Disney On Ice..no printing as my buddies and I are very conscious of it.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I carry a PF9 in my pocket in a Galco pocket holster when I wear cargo pants. When I wear jeans I carry IWB with a custom kydex holster I got at a gun show. Since it's so thin, it's not noticeable and it's not super heavy like a double-stack mini-9mm. I've carried both ways for the past two years, never had a problem.

I once had a chance to buy one of those pre-owned but unfired 300, and always wondered if I shoulda bought it. This was before I decided to get my Utah CCW, so I had passed on it. Slim chance at finding a rental, but I imagine it handles similar to maybe an LC9, dimension wise?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Power to weight ratio...also applies to guns , not just cars.

For subcompacts, stay with the 9mm. Anything bigger will recoil substantially and will affect accuracy, controllability and speed of follow up shots.

Just load up with modern defensive ammo. A hit with a poodle shooter 9 is better than a miss with a bigger caliber. A glock 26, +p hollow points is a good defensive package

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom