• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlc

Jul 17, 2014
    This is once-fired Nosler .223 brass out of my Savage 10FP-SR. Full length resided once before loading. After tumbling them and before resizing the necks for another load, I noticed that out of 50 cases roughly half show this dent in various orientations on the shoulders...

The dents are visible from inside the case so I'm weary about using them again and before I go messing up more of it I thought I'd ping the community to see if someone can confirm (or correct) my suspicion that it's just from slamming into the receiver during ejection and not something related to my reloading?

Many thanks in advance!

(This is only my second post to mdshooters, apologies if I posted in the wrong forum)

223_dents.jpg

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Shoot'em.

And some of your case mouths are not square at all.

Have you taken the dies apart and cleaned them thoroughly?

I can't imagine anything in a bolt action receiver that would cause such a deep impression.

Are you sure they weren't there when you got them brand new and unfired? As in, it's a factory problem.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The size and shape in the indentation seems consistent, but the location and configuration of the impression is varying on the case shoulder.

I'd check your sizing die for foreign material.

dlc

Jul 17, 2014
    Yes good eye... not sure what is up with the necks, I'm a reloading newb and prob failed to square them in my trimmer.

I thought the dent would be uniform in placement and angle if it was the die, but thinking about it maybe a loose brass shaving in the die? I'll check that, thanks!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Make sure you measure your cases.

Use the longest case to set your seating and crimping die/dies.

If you start with the shortest case, you take the chance of buckling the shoulders of the longer cases.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    The size and shape in the indentation seems consistent, but the location and configuration of the impression is varying on the case shoulder.

I'd check your sizing die for foreign material.

Its a pretty impressive imprint to come from sizing the case... It may be ..... I think is from high pressure from shooting the rifle..... I believe there is or was a shaving in the rifles chamber..

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Its a pretty impressive imprint to come from sizing the case... It may be ..... I think is from high pressure from shooting the rifle..... I believe there is or was a shaving in the rifles chamber..

You may well be right. Hard to see on the phone how deep that is, but OP mentions visible inside. OP also mentioned checking for brass shaving. More like steel would come to my mind if die related. Cases possibly not inspected prior to sizing. If chamber related, you see it then and there. Whatever it is, it's moving. First thought from title and before seeing photo was typical case lube dents. Sure ain't that!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Maybe Nosler contracted this brass out to the Turks who started using a Crescent neck stamp.

I think the OP should chamber and close the bolt on an undented case and see if a dent appears. That would rule out the chamber or not.

I still think it's coming from the factory for what ever reason.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Maybe Nosler contracted this brass out to the Turks who started using a Crescent neck stamp.

I think the OP should chamber and close the bolt on an undented case and see if a dent appears. That would rule out the chamber or not.

I still think it's coming from the factory for what ever reason.

Possible you'd notice something. But whatever is causing that, thinking you've got some considerable pressure going on there.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    It is either the chamber or the die that has foreign debris in it. Clean them both very thoroughly and see if that fixes the problem.

As you are a self admitted reloading n00b, have you had a experienced reloader take you under their wing and teach you how to reload, or are you learning how to reload from books and Youtube?

dlc

Jul 17, 2014
    Thanks for the input - given it, I'm reassured that this probably isn't something super common or a fault with my reloading technique.

Dents weren't there from the factory, so I'm leaning toward debris in the chamber or dies. I looked for pressure signs on the bases when I fired them but didnt pay attention to the shoulders. I'm gonna disassemble the dies and scope the chamber to look for debris or defects tonight and will post my findings.

DaemonAssasin - I've got an experienced reloader mentoring me, and this is new to him. I'll include my process in the followup tonight, and welcome any input you all may have to offer. Thanks again.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Keep us posted OP! Very curious about this one.

We all learn from each other's experiences and input here. Part of what makes the reloading room and MDS generally the great tools they are. And welcome aboard with the rest of us roll your own addicts.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That really looks like something in the die or chamber. They are all exactly the same shape, but oriented differently.

dlc

Jul 17, 2014
    Scoped the chamber and disassembled the dies; No debris in either and no other obvious flaws, so I suspect you all are correct in suggesting debris was likely the cause and it's likely it was dislodged during cleaning. I'll post back here after my next outing with a quick update just in case I am able to reproduce the problem but I suspect it's been resolved.

I'm looking for verification that my loading and ladder test procedures are valid, so I'll start a new thread to keep it clean.

Thanks for the warm welcome all, I look forward to learning from the community and maybe being able to give back someday.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Scoped the chamber and disassembled the dies; No debris in either and no other obvious flaws, so I suspect you all are correct in suggesting debris was likely the cause and it's likely it was dislodged during cleaning. I'll post back here after my next outing with a quick update just in case I am able to reproduce the problem but I suspect it's been resolved.

I'm looking for verification that my loading and ladder test procedures are valid, so I'll start a new thread to keep it clean.

Thanks for the warm welcome all, I look forward to learning from the community and maybe being able to give back someday.

You're welcome. Patience, grasshopper. It will happen soon enough.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Unrelated comment: You should consider neck sizing in the future. It'll add some life and some powder capacity to your cases if you need it.
    Myth. Neck sizing will only add life if you are over doing it with your F/L die. If your F/L die is adjusted correctly, cases do not get worked to death.

Add powder capacity? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom