• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ESMDHokie77

Pistol Practical Shooting
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 7, 2012
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Hey all,

I've got a threaded muzzle brake on my Rem 700 in .300 Win Mag, and may possibly have to use the gun where I would want to minimize the sound.

It's barely visible, but there is a line that shows my barrel's end is threaded on for the brake's 1.5-ish inches.

Is there a gunsmith shop around that can remove my threaded muzzle brake and machine/create a new thread cover to maintain barrel length?

thanks,
    Phil

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A thread cover or thread protector only protects the threads, it doesn't make the barrel any longer.

And muzzle brake does not make more noise, it just makes it appear to make more, by directing it to the sides, not out towards the target.

But you can remove the brake yourself with a strap wrench, they are not on that tight. And you can buy a pre-made thread protector.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I got a gun rebarreled and asked for a muzzle brake. The gunsmith said he had one of his own design. I got my rifle back and wtf, I didn't ask for an integral brake. There was absolutely no visible line.

I called him up, ready to do battle and he assured me it comes off. It did, maybe with a rag or one of those rubber jar opener things in my hand but I've never needed a tool to remove one. Once I took it off and reattached it, the line was visible.

If you can't turn it by hand, heat with a heat gun, add kroil and let it sit. You can repeat several times if need be. Acetone mixed with ATF is supposed to be better. Acetone is flammable and according to the internet, ATF heated with a torch may or may not produce phosgene.

One of my brakes is a Vais, it claims to be quieter, but it depends where you stand. I was at a Varmint Hunter's and the people with Holland brakes, which look like something copied from an Abrams tank, were noticeably louder behind the firing line than anything else.

I did not know there were aftermarket thread protectors, so once again MDS taught me something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom