• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Quick AAR while it's still fresh in my mind:

Thursday there was a 1.5 hour class which discussed gear and the placement of said gear, stance, the parts of the rifle, etc.

Saturday began with getting together at Engage North, donuts and coffee. We then made our way to the range about 15 mins. from there.

We began with a safety briefing and then proceeded to zero at about 36yds from the prone. Once we confirmed our zeroes, we did some drills to help us learn to control both vertical and horizontal movement while firing strings as well as teaching mechanical offset. After these we did a drill that consisted of putting a 2 rounds on a paper plate within 3 seconds moving further back with each repetition to try to find the balance of speed and accuracy.
    Lunch was provided and was delicious.
    After lunch we tackled speed and tactical reloads, immediate and remedial actions, and pivoting and shooting.
    The day ended with, hopefully I remember the name correctly, the VTAC 1-5 drill and a near/far drill.
    AJ also let us put some rounds downrange with his SCAR17, which was awesome.

Things I learned:
    You can plan out your kit all you want, but until you actually use it, you have no idea what can go wrong. I ended up switching from a VTAC sling to a SOB sling towards the end of class because the way I was wearing the VTAC was causing me difficulties in racking the charging handle. I also need to rethink my ammo carrying method, as the BCM chest rig seemed to make it difficult to reload from a lot of the pouches and I was fighting my gear at times. I ran my LWRC UCIW and the couple of malfunctions I experienced seemed to be related to the way I was running the VTAC sling as well as accidentally riding the CH forward sometimes.

Thanks to AJ and Buddy for running a great class, as well as Teri (not sure how to spell her name) for bringing lunch out to us.

Also thanks to the guy who lent me a H buffer to see if my MK18 would work with it, saving me the trouble of shipping it to CA for Centurion Arms to look at it.

Engage Instructor

Industry Partner
    Oct 27, 2011
    Review from Engage Carbine submitted from a previous student of mine:

Basic Carbine Course Review

Like any sport of skill set, combat marksmanship is a perishable skill, one which without practice loses its edge and reliability. Their is a reason that marksmanship isn't abandoned after initial military training. Soldiers spend countless hours practicing their craft to ensure that when it is needed, it will be second nature to them. AJ, the instructor for my Basic Carbine Engage Armament course, is unique among others in that he has first hand experience putting his skill set into real application when his life was on the line. A retired Marine having served in a MARSOC unit, AJ knows what it feels like when the targets shot back and as such, his instruction is invaluable. As a Marine myself, I consider myself a relativity experienced shooter, however, over-confidence is dangerous. Though many of the drills were familiar to me, some were new and offered me critical growth opportunities. This is the kind of course you can take over and over again and still gain valuable experience from. AJ, and the other instructors give you the tools and instructions you need to improve yourself. All the instructors there were very professional and this is definitely a course I will be enrolling in again. On a side note, the lunch wasn't half bad either!

-Cpl. Alex D.
    USMC Reserves

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom