• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    Ok, It looks like i'm gonna need to get this HQL thing...

Is there a thread on a step by step way of doing this?

Also need a place in or near Elkton that will do the Livescan fingerprinting.

I'm fairly sure I don't need the training portion as I have many other registered handguns & long guns pre Oct 2013.

I'm just looking for the tried & true way of going through this as easy as possible.

Thank you in advance for any help.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Since you're training exempt, it should be easy. Step 1, do the livescan. It'll be cheapest at MSP barracks, but call ahead to find times or make an appointment. Step 2, fill out the web forms. Make sure you enter the right livescan number. You only have 72 hours after fingerprints to submit the application, but you can fill it out ahead of time.

Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    Just went through this, here are my notes:

First, MD State police page on HQL:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Step 1: Figure out if you are training exempt or not. If not, you need to get the training done

Step 2: Get Livescan (fingerprint-based background check) done. MD SP info for that is found here:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ivision/MainLicensingPage/Fingerprinting.aspx

There is important information/codes on that page that you need when you fill out the Livescan application - print it out and take it with you.

From the page above, a list of private and public Livescan service providers directory is here:

http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml

No MSP, but county sheriffs and certain cities offer livescan. You have 72 hours from the time the livescan is done to submit the online license application.

Step 3: Create a MyLicense account, starting from here:

https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/Login.aspx

Step 4: Create and submit a MyLicense license application appropriate for how you are applying (Training exempt, etc). Depending on how you are applying, you may be providing firearms model/serial/number/barrel length, or uploading documents. You can start an application and come back later to submit it - just remember you have 72 hours. Also, the page says to use Internet Explorer browser to access MyLicense - some people have not been able to submit unless they used IE. YMMV.

Step 5: Wait 16-20 calendar days (as of 2015/04/25) for the application to go live. There is a status page for your application - most people here recently have seen that 2 of the lines update almost immediately, and the rest don't ever update until the license goes live. Card will come in the mail in a few days.

Hope this helps.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    You can use the serial number of one of your handguns that you own or you can use a hunter safety card to be training exempt.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, you can get prints done at full MVA offices. The one in Bel Air does them. And will print them on cards for VA/FL/other CCW. They commented that they did a LOT of fingerprints for out of state CCW. :)

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Since you're training exempt, it should be easy. Step 1, do the livescan. It'll be cheapest at MSP barracks, but call ahead to find times or make an appointment. Step 2, fill out the web forms. Make sure you enter the right livescan number. You only have 72 hours after fingerprints to submit the application, but you can fill it out ahead of time.

Assisted my friend: following creating the ID & PW, IE went south. We called MSP and was advised you only need to create ID & PW within 72 hours.

Silence&Rage

Feb 20, 2013
    MoCo
    I just submitted about a week ago. If you're training exempt the trickiest thing is finding an easy location for the prints.

Once you have your print reference number the application takes just a few minutes.

Then you wait like 3 weeks for the MSP to get through approvals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom