• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Why Police Hate You

Many years ago a BPD Lieutenant scribed an Article titled "Why Police Hate You" The Article was published in Playboy and got national recognition for it's Camp Humor.
    One of the hundred or so lines of Humor, wrote of the Yuppies moving back into Baltimore "As the groups of thieves stood on the Corner taking inventory of the property coming off the Moving Van into the Homes the City was selling the Yuppies for $1, arguments ensued over current pricing.
    The termed used was Volunteer Victim, which is still in use today.
    There were many classic clips I.E. "Officer can I park there, pointing to the sign NO PARKING ANYTIME, "Sure I wont give you a Ticket" as the hundred of so Meter Maids took to the street, Ticket Book in hand.
    If I can find my copy I'll Post it.
    As they say it's a Riot or to be Politically Correct a Civil Disturbance.
    Later.
    Eddie O

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I use Ballistol for 2 things.

1)Cleaning Corrosive residue, yes you should use water to do that, straight Ballistol will not break down the salts. If you don't believe me put straight Ballistol in a cup and add salt. The salt won't dissolve. Add some water and it will. It's cheaper to use straight water for washing out salts and then just spray the gun down with the water and Ballistol mix to prevent corrosion as the water evaporates. Again, spraying straight Ballistol would be wasteful

2) If you don't have an air compressor to blow off water after washing your guns with water and detergent, Ballistol will prevent rust as the moisture evaporates. Yes you can use straight Ballistol for this, but you will just waste more if you don't dilute it. So your just wasting money for the sake of it if you spray it all over the gun straight.

If you think introducing water on firearms is bad, go to a Firearms Manufacturer Service Center and you will see the method I am describing. It's perfectly safe as long as you don't use regular simple green on aluminum, that's where the aviation grade stuff comes into play.
    :thumbsup:Great explaination. Water isn't bad. IRC, the Army and Marines clean many of their AR's in a hot shower. But, then oiled with CLP.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    I live in Pigtown, in West Baltimore. I don't care if folks know that I have firearms or not. Not ashamed of it, and I don't worry about any of them stealing from me. Solid middle and working class neighborhood.

I regularly open carry in my backyard while grilling, working, etc. Never a problem with neighbors.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I clean everything in the basement and then do a final blast with gun scrubber in the backyard in parts, somebody would have to be looking real close to see what I was dog, but I'm not sneaky about it either. I did clean an AR in a backyard once, neighbor was happy to see we both liked guns.

TD

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Probably an obvious question, but I was just wondering. I live in Baltimore, got a rowhouse with a decent sized back yard. I have a neighbor on each side that, if they were in their yard, could look over and see me in my backyard. Could I legally do some gun maintenance and/or cleaning in my backyard? Something tells me 'no', but what if I talked to them beforehand and said 'I'm just going to clean some of my guns, please don't call the cops on me'? Does that have a possibility of working?

Legally, heck yes. Sensibly, Hell No! (An obvious answer I would think . . .?)

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH "GOVERNMENT" and has everything to do with PREventing break-ins, attempted or otherwise. It is very rare that one's neighbor breaks into your home; it IS more common for 'some' % of some neighborhood kids to do so, once some % of them grow from cute lil tykes riding tricycles to teens; and, IT IS VERY COMMON for "friends of friends of friends" of your neighborhood's now grown kids to target homes where it is even suspected firearms are present, for the possible picking.

I live in a rural sub-division wayyyyyy down in So. MD; and, as already pointed out, there is NO sense in your neighbors (or their kids or their friends or . . . fill-in-blank-here) knowing you have firearms so . . . .

I rely on mineral spirits and an air compressor to clean the filthiest of my guns in minutes. HUGE time-saver but, no way I can do that INSIDE the house.

Neighbor across the street: good as gold and I recently assisted his oldest in securing employ with the local Sheriff's Office. Great young man. Next door? Retired vet with a kid that I have always considered possible of going either way in life...seems to have his sh*t more together now but, his associates? Big red flags, there. And directly behind? Whoa! Major adult pos with 2 grown boys who already have minor criminal records, working their way up to, well, real bad joo-joo, there . . .

Funny thing is, I clean my guns in my backyard and, NONE of my neighbors know I have guns because of it!

What I did (and I hope this works for you *if* you have a deck or elevated porch or something you can work underneath?) is screw hooks into the joists under my deck. Then, I picked up several 4x8' pieces of lattice (2" openings or 4", wood or plastic, color to match your home's, all your choice). Now, when I am going to disassemble, bathe, brush and air-nozzle-shoot guns or parts or assemblies clean, I simply "hang" the 4x8 sheets to block any real view of what I am doing.

I use the 4" openings and I have actually had family members and friends stroll around behind the house and d*mn if they have any real idea of what I am doing or working with -- until they get their noses practically right up against the lattice!

Important note (as to why I didn't simply install the lattice more "permanently"): Because lattice under a deck is a thief's dream-come-true for working on any window or door under a deck, I always take the lattice down and hang them smack up alongside the house, one against the other.

This works so well, in fact, I'm taking this idea with me to our next residence; we now own lakefront (escape-MD!) property in NC and the house backs up to the mountain lake which, while it is uber-secluded now, as time passes, it will develop and I am sure there'll either be houses acorss the lake and, even if not, the amount of boaters going by now dictates some common sense (regardless of 'legalities').

Best of Success -- I hope your backyard is conducive to a similar 'concealment' set-up!

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    I would never clean guns outside if I lived anywhere in Baltimore. Just an invitation to all the low lives. Check out my nice stuff who wants to come steal it?

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I wouldn't in a row house I don't think. I live in Baltimore, but the only people that could see onto my deck are my immediate neighbors, who I have known my entire life (I bought the house I grew up in from my father) I have cleaned uppers and handguns on my deck. The wife does not like the smell of hoppes, and I absolutely hate the smell of ballistol, but I use it cause I bought some and don't want to waste it.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I live in Pigtown, in West Baltimore. I don't care if folks know that I have firearms or not. Not ashamed of it, and I don't worry about any of them stealing from me. Solid middle and working class neighborhood.

This is how it used to be on my neighborhood, until it became the "in" place for activist/progressive types to live.

Now that I think on it,that pretty well describes Maryland any more.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Just slap a few stickers on the outside of your hard sided rifle case - Fender, Gibson, etc they will get the idea that you play a guitar.

Several times my friend has carried his case with no stickers on the it through the airport and some girl asks what band he is in. Never fails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom