• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good discussion. Lots of issues and possibilities.

Thankfully, we have some time to check into these and see what might be possible.

My first thought was to have the brass smelted into small bells (approximately 2-3") in the general form of the original Liberty Bell. I was thinking each bell should be functioning, and it would serve the primary purpose as a symbolic representation of positive legislative action in Maryland; and secondly, could actually be brought to future rallies/events and used when appropriate.

It's been my experience over these many years that if there is a charge for the bells (assuming this is possible), we shouldn't try to make a profit off it even if the profit is donated back into MSI or any other worthy cause. All effort should be made to essentially 'break even'. And anyone assisting should be reasonably compensated or otherwise rewarded for any volunteering or support.

Anyone know who or what company currently dispose/recycle the MDSP brass?

How about a good POC at the MDSP for this issue?

Also, any contacts at a smelting facility would be good to contact.

Here's an example of what I was thinking:

liberty-35.jpg

http://store.ushistory.org/showitem.asp?iid=253

Last edited:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Would Jack know anything? This could be a great opportunity to fund the lawsuits and a good national news story. Where is Emily these days.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I would love the irony if we could auction off 281 liberty bells forged from collected casings, and use the proceeds to fund the HQL suit.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The best bet might be to try and get ahold of whoever gets the contract to haul the brass off and try and swing a deal with them to buy it. I doubt that we would have much success dealing directly with the state, too much red tape.

If this falls through maybe plan B would be to collect a bunch of brass from everyone randomly and have it cast into bells. I really like the idea of them.
    How many 22 casings would it take per bell?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I posted this in the wrong thread earlier today:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post
    I met with a man today that melts metal and makes bells. I told him about this idea, he related that he thought shell casings were high in zinc and if so that's a bit dangerous (toxic gases) for him to work with; but he said he would look into it.

From Farmers Copper:

Quote:
    Farmer’s Copper Ltd. maintains an inventory of C26000 Cartridge Brass in sheet, plate and round rod available upon request. C260 brass, sometimes referred to as yellow brass, has a nominal composition of 70% copper and 30% zinc.
    How high is too high?

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Greeting!

This thread is dedicated to discuss the possibility of obtaining the ammo casings currently held by the MDSP into Liberty bells.

Several questions come to my mind, let's hear yours:

- how much brass does the MDSP hold?
    - where is it?
    - do they currently have a plan to dispose of it?
    - what legal or policy red tape to do this (any)?

- where can we have it melted?
    - where can we obtain a metal mold of the Liberty bell?
    - is there a company that does this sort of thing?
    - transportation issues?
    - costs
    - what size bells would you like?
    - any special encryption or details?

Also appreciate any volunteers or leads to get some of these things done.

This may not be possible, but would like us to discuss and consider the merits as well.

:thumbsup:
    :patriot: I think a great idea. Maybe sell the 'liberty bell's ' for a fund raiser!
    '

IGOR455

Oct 12, 2011
    glen burnout
    hey now that im retired ill move the brass and yes its there if it will fit in my f 150 pick up now it would take many trips since i believe they are ion drums in trailers for storage. hey when did that stupid law take effect anyway.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thanks Dave, I sent a message; lets see what they say.

At this point the biggest question is, can we get the brass, and how much are we talking about? Someone must have a good contact within the MDSP to get this figured out.

Not doing this for any profit, we are just trying to make the most of the history and significants of this formally, otherwise bad situation. Will make one heck of a keep sake!

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    How about casting a big one and donating to Ft McHenry as the "Maryland Liberty Bell"????

IMHO, Ft. McHenry will probably not take the bell. They don't even take donations from the time period that is not related to the history of the National Monument and Historic Shrine. The fort could use donations of other sorts for some new extra large boom sticks. Md historic society on Monument St. might be interested once it is considered history.
    Perhaps some symbolic legislation for a bell with a nice 2A positive invocation engraved on it to be in the judiciary committee room and rung at each meeting? Just dreaming.
    If the state does not play ball, how about a class action for the brass to make them give it over and get it free through court order?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good stuff, appreciate the discussion.

Although the people of Maryland were forced to comply and surrender a spent casing with each firearm purchase; the police were merely doing what they too were required to do. Litigation should be reserved for only significant issues where no other remedy is available. If the powers to be, are unable to provide the brass; I will understand. Just need a POC to get the ball rolling.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Call your legislator and ask them to work with agency heads to insure the surplus property is put up for auction, and that you have fair notice, and fair opportunity to bid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom