• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    He's completely uninformed.
    The NRA is backing the case. This case has implications beyond Maryland.

Kolbe certainly does. The HQL case is rather unique to MD in its details. If we care, we need to step up to the plate and not rely on the NRA to challenge the HQL. I follow the 2A litigation cases nation-wide. There is a *TON* of it. NRA cannot possibly fund all of it.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Maybe MSI, and MSRPA etc need to have a little get together on this and get the ball rolling... We are running out of time.

I re-upped with MSI as a sustaining member and tossed in an extra $50.00 donation, and I still have that brick of .22 that I'm happy to pony up for auction, raffle, etc. with the proceeds going to the HQL litigation.

The country is running out of time.

Last edited:

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    Having just finished listening (for the first time), I got to say that I am not convinced that we necessarily have this won. Listening to a tape, of course, is not the same thing as being there, as there is no way to read body language (which can be quite informative). We may win and some of the questions were favorable, but not all of them. The court will have to wrestle with this notion that ARs are somehow uniquely dangerous military-type weapons. We know it is crazy, but we know guns. Judges don't know guns. Of course, if the state wins on their theory, Sweeney is right, the next ban will be on semiauto handguns.

I have learned from my extremely limited experience in listening to arguments of courts of appeal that sometimes bait is better left alone. But in this case, I wonder if the question of whether the common use test, when turned around to decide how uncommon a weapon must be to lose 2A protection, could have been addressed with the following points:

1. At some point in the development of new weapons or decline in popularity of older designs, a weapon may be relatively uncommon. Therefore the common use test alone cannot exclude the arm from 2A protection, lest new firearms developments, including even safety enhancements could have been frozen in time in the early 1800s. Conversely one's 200 year old family heirloom could fall out from under constitutional protection due to its mere rarity.

2. While commonality is a clear and unequivocal indication of protected status, un-commonality cannot, by itself, remove constitutional protection from a weapon.

3. The SCOTUS has opined that the 2nd amendment extends, prima facia to all instruments that comprise a bearable arm. (paraphrased from memory)

4. It is a mistake to take a test which quickly confirms the constitutionality of a weapon based primarily on its overwhelming commonality and turn it on its head to exclude weapons based solely on their relative rarity, absent clear evidence that they are dangerous AND unusual in the legal sense.

5. The term dangerous and unusual in common law was almost always dependent on the use of such weapons to intentionally terrorize ( i.e.the kings subjects, etc.) In other words, the use of the term dangerous and unusual was far more a description of a behavior (marauding; terrorizing) than any specific set of weapon characteristics. No peaceful, law abiding, gun bearing citizen was ever said to be carrying a dangerous and unusual weapon in common law.

6. It would be folly to attempt to use the common use test to set any lower limit on the number or percentage of weapon types to justify banning them. The common use test's greatest utility is it that it eliminates the need for courts to engage in further unnecessary inquiry.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    We need everyone's help

Maybe MSI, and MSRPA etc need to have a little get together on this and get the ball rolling... We are running out of time.

Fight The HQL !!!

Click HERE to find out more and fund MSI’s effort in this important fight!

Attachments

• HQl Donation flyer.JPG
      HQl Donation flyer.JPG
      63.4 KB · Views: 889

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Just joined MSI myself as a sustaining member..will be able to give more next few months as my pension checks arrive and I get my first SS check starting in June...And a big thank you for those in the fight.. Im sorta new to the gun world and still playing catch up on all the laws

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Just joined MSI myself as a sustaining member..will be able to give more next few months as my pension checks arrive and I get my first SS check starting in June...And a big thank you for those in the fight.. Im sorta new to the gun world and still playing catch up on all the laws

Thank you for joining the fight! The fiasco of FSA2013 got a lot of us to wake up a bit. This forum and all the information flowing is a lot to keep up with but it is an excellent resource for getting up to speed on the confuzzling state of Maryland law and politics.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Thank you for joining the fight! The fiasco of FSA2013 got a lot of us to wake up a bit. This forum and all the information flowing is a lot to keep up with but it is an excellent resource for getting up to speed on the confuzzling state of Maryland law and politics.

You can see when I joined here. Before that I was completely unaware of the laws and the insane things our 'great leaders' were doing to us here in MD. My point is there is a lack of publicity for this and ALL of the common press around here is a big part of that problem. They promote the liberal gun-grabber agenda. Example the recent sound bite about the Sandy Hook Bike riders. I never see or hear anything promoting favorable gun ownership. Outside of these type of forums, am I looking in the wrong places, or do such stories not exist in popular media?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You can see when I joined here. Before that I was completely unaware of the laws and the insane things our 'great leaders' were doing to us here in MD. My point is there is a lack of publicity for this and ALL of the common press around here is a big part of that problem. They promote the liberal gun-grabber agenda. Example the recent sound bite about the Sandy Hook Bike riders. I never see or hear anything promoting favorable gun ownership. Outside of these type of forums, am I looking in the wrong places, or do such stories not exist in popular media?

There are a couple of reasons. The media isn't exactly on our side. They won't cover much of what we do if they can help it. During the senate judiciary hearings in 2013, it was reported that "thousands from both sides showed up". They didn't tell you that it was 3000 + against the bill and 31 for it. We don't have rich benefactors like Bloomberg to foot the bill for lawsuits. The 2A groups like NRA and SAF are great, but there is only so much they will cover. Word of mouth is our most important tool. Welcome to the fight, bring a friend.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    There are a couple of reasons. The media isn't exactly on our side. They won't cover much of what we do if they can help it. During the senate judiciary hearings in 2013, it was reported that "thousands from both sides showed up". They didn't tell you that it was 3000 + against the bill and 31 for it. We don't have rich benefactors like Bloomberg to foot the bill for lawsuits. The 2A groups like NRA and SAF are great, but there is only so much they will cover. Word of mouth is our most important tool. Welcome to the fight, bring a friend.

http://www.naturalnews.com/Health_Ranger.html
    Thanks to this web site, my wife is completely in agreement with me on this. We both have our HQL now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom