17HmR vs 22LR (by default Savage MKii or 93 FVSR)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    17HmR vs 22LR (by default Savage MKii or 93 FVSR)OR Ruger American Rimfire

So I was set on a MKii and then I got to thinking that I want to hunt groundhogs with this rifle.

Is their a 22 that will humanly kill at 100 yrds? Is so what and how much is it?

Will the 22 be as accurate at 100 yards as the 17hmr? Is 22 match much cheaper? I would look but I don't know what to look for. 17 hmr Hornady vmax looks to be about 17.00 a box of 50. That's a lot cheaper than my 223 vmax, that is 16.00 a box of 20.

Thanks!
    Tom

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I can keep a .65" group @ 100 with $8 a box .22 with my Walther target rifle (looking at some $6.50 a box to try).

There are lighter versions of most of the heavy .22 target rifles that would be decent field guns.

gc27

Aug 5, 2014
    Calvert County
    If I were you, I would buy the mkII and test different ammo with it. If accuracy is not what you want at 100, you could always use your .223.
    The problem with the .17hmr is that the bullets are so light. An unsuspected gust can easily throw it off at 100. I have a savage 93r17 and it is great until the wind picks up. A quality .22 and good ammo should do fine at 100 but i dont know about its groundhog put down power at that range.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I do not hunt in MoCo, but my buddy moved to rural TN. He has gardens and orchards on his 40 acres. His PEST control includes deer, rabbits, and squirrels. He uses CCI Stingers in his 22s for the rabbits and squirrels. They are rated at 1640 fps at the muzzle with a 32 gr HP. It's a much more efficient hunting round than standard or high velocity 22. They are hard to find, but with constant vigilance, they are available. I use sub-sonic CCIs in CT for ground hogs in my wife's backyard. Of course, they are going through a Sparrow can.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    For a humane kill at 100 yes on ground hogs you'd need a head shot with the .22LR. Much easier to kill with the HMR. Have you ruled out a .22mag? Ammo is $13-$14 box of 50. Too much power for squirrels but will do a job on GH's and up to coyote. May be my favorite round. .17HMR is not as affected by wind as you might think do it's BC and speed. But as mentioned with a good breeze it will move.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Match 22 ammo typically isn't as powerful as 22 game rounds and wouldn't be a good choice in this application.. Additionally, the RN bullet isn't as efficient as good hollow point loads. Good rounds were suggested for 22LR.

For 17 HMR you would need to use the heavier bullet loads at 100 yards. Those bullets are constructed a little heavier also. Even then it could be a little light on ground hogs. If someone gave positive accounts of practical experience using 17 HMR on ground hogs at 100 yards I would use it. 22 Mag would be my first choice for 100 yard rimfire ground hogging. Several good loads are out there as well.

Better still, a 40 grain varmint bullet from a 22 centerfire.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have a savage FV SR and had a 17HMR TRR-SR. The 17HMR round was great at shooting ground hogs, wind would catch it a little. I utimately got rid of it because it was a round I didn't need and it didn't suppress that well. I have my .22lr for small game and my .223 for ground hog hunting/etc.

Choice is yours

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    For a humane kill at 100 yes on ground hogs you'd need a head shot with the .22LR. Much easier to kill with the HMR. Have you ruled out a .22mag? Ammo is $13-$14 box of 50. Too much power for squirrels but will do a job on GH's and up to coyote. May be my favorite round. .17HMR is not as affected by wind as you might think do it's BC and speed. But as mentioned with a good breeze it will move.

I was going to suggest 22WMR. I can hit Washington's head on a quarter at 80yrds with my Savage.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    So I was set on a MKii and then I got to thinking that I want to hunt groundhogs with this rifle.

Is their a 22 that will humanly kill at 100 yrds? Is so what and how much is it?

Will the 22 be as accurate at 100 yards as the 17hmr? Is 22 match much cheaper? I would look but I don't know what to look for. 17 hmr Hornady vmax looks to be about 17.00 a box of 50. That's a lot cheaper than my 223 vmax, that is 16.00 a box of 20.

Thanks!
    Tom

You've got some moving parts here.

In terms of a dedicated groundhog gun, neither the 22LR nor the 17HMR nor a .22 WMR is going to compare to your .223 Rem. In terms of cost of .223, you won't notice the difference in groundhog hunting. You burn ammo in quantity at the range.

Now if you want another rifle, and more of an all around rifle that you can shoot often and in quantity and comparatively inexpensively? And if you don't own a .22 LR? Then that would be far and away my next choice for purchase. Ammo can be a bit of a challenge to find currently, but it's comparatively inexpensive as opposed to factory centerfire or .17HMR or .22WMR rimfire. And the current scarcity and price point of 22LR isn't likely to last forever. For plinking and small game, a good .22LR is the ticket. To me, a good 22LR is a must have. A 22LR would not however be my choice of rifles for 100 yard groundhog hunting. Not saying you can't make it work. You can. I'm simply saying that you currently own a far better choice for that job in .223 Rem. And either 17HMR or 22WMR would be a better choice.

So with a .22 LR in the collection, the next debate becomes .17HMR vs. 22WMR. I own both and have used both on groundhogs with good results. The 17 is flatter, but can definitely be wind averse. The 22 carries more payload. Either is far superior to 22LR for groundhogs IMO. Neither provides much of a hedge against improper shot placement. And neither is by any stretch a centerfire .223 Rem.

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    I hunt groundhog with my 17hmr 93r17 savage and love it. great little round, great velocity, great accuracy. Never been windy enough to miss a groundhog at 100 yards, It is a big target for that range with the .17. I practice head shots. 17hmr with v-max is devastating. Glad I didn't buy a .22. Ammo isn't that expensive and you can find it easy.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    What model savage?

t2VKsa7JM_ZMAl6NG8z.png

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I have both savages you are asking about.

I have not been able to take them hunting yet but I can tell you that after buying these rifles I had to make smaller steel targets to shoot at 100 yards.

First was the 2 incher, then that was too big.

Then we made a 1.5 incher and after a year shooting it that became too big.

I now have a 1 inch target sitting on my welder's bench waiting for him to weld it up for me.

Let me know if you want to try my savages. I'm at the AGC most weekends.

DF

Last edited:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'd go 22 mag over either a 22 or 17 for groundhogs at that range. I do shoot them with my Savage 22lr using CCI Velocitors with great success (in areas where the 223 may be too loud), but my go to Groundhog rifle is a bull barreled 223 with a 40-55gr varmint bullet loaded up.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'd go 22 mag over either a 22 or 17 for groundhogs at that range. I do shoot them with my Savage 22lr using CCI Velocitors with great success (in areas where the 223 may be too loud), but my go to Groundhog rifle is a bull barreled 223 with a 40-55gr varmint bullet loaded up.

I agree, 22WMR is the ideal round for groundhog. Yes you can do it with great shot-placement from a .17, or even .22LR, and .223/5.56 is overkill. All will work, and even a slingshot if you put it in the right place from close enough.

My groundhog rig is a scoped Ruger 77/22 (laminate with SS barrel) in .22 Hornet. It will take groundhogs at 100 yards without any problem. The Hornet round is the smallest centerfire round available. It does not have the lethal range of a.223, and Hornet ammo is expensive. There are different bullet weights available (30, 35, 40, and 45 grain) to include polymer tipped.

Think of it as a.22 WMR on steroids...

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    My groundhog rig is a scoped Ruger 77/22 (laminate with SS barrel) in .22 Hornet. It will take groundhogs at 100 yards without any problem. The Hornet round is the smallest centerfire round available. It does not have the lethal range of a.223, and Hornet ammo is expensive. There are different bullet weights available (30, 35, 40, and 45 grain) to include polymer tipped.

Think of it as a.22 WMR on steroids...

Cool. Did not know.

Wiki says:
    It was the smallest commercially available .22 caliber centerfire cartridge until the introduction of the FN 5.7x28mm.

The .22 Hornet fills the gap between such popular varmint/predator cartridges as the .22 WMR and the .223 Remington.

347299d1333644135-duda-22-magnum-y-22-hornet-222_2210.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom