• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This would be consistent with the powers of a Governor. He can't change laws, only the legislature can.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Sheesh, give the guy a little time. The house and senate are still primarily Democrats that are afraid of guns, or politically motivated against them. Gonna be hard to fight the Maryland ignorance against inanimate objects.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Did anyone expect something different? He's not Obama, he can't just make laws without Congress.

Let's focus on the court battles for now and if we lose them we can try at the state level again.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Sounds reasonable at this point in time. He has more pressing issues. He can defer it to the courts, and not put up a fight. That way in the end he can sit back and tell the anti gun libtards, "it was the courts, not me."

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    And his statement is NO different than those made during his campaign.

Take a step back.
    Anthony Brown becomes governor -- that statement turns into...
    "We will push to strengthen our gun laws to increase the safety of more Marylanders."

Hogan can affect administrative policy and will. That isn't changing laws, but it does ease the burden on gun owners and potential gun owners.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Sounds reasonable at this point in time. He has more pressing issues. He can defer it to the courts, and not put up a fight. That way in the end he can sit back and tell the anti gun libtards, "it was the courts, not me."

Believe it or not. Hogan will inherit the case Kolbe v O'Malley. So, he will have a say in the court system.

Once Hogan issues an EO/Proclamation defining "self-defense" as a G&S in the "COMAR". They courts will defer to the governor's definition.

As to any change in the laws: "aint gonna happen"!

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    But wait a minute:
    I saw on T.V. that Our new Governor was going to place M16's against all trees and in all shopping Carts and in all Playgrounds.......

Are you really saying that was NOT true?

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Another misleading thread title....

I agree with many of the posters and I've been saying this since the election. There are many other things that Hogan has to deal with; from the linked article:

He ran on the platform of rolling back tax increases and cutting spending. But the state of Maryland has a budget shortfall of nearly $600 million.

There are some things he can do regarding gun issues in the state, but he'd be a fool to do them FIRST. We be the fools to expect him to.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    I think the smart thing to do is exactly what he did.

With so many outside parties challenging SB281 he doesn't really need to get involved. Smart move.

I would rather see him write a nice little letter indicating that "Lawful self-defense" is a G&S for CCW.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    But wait a minute:
    I saw on T.V. that Our new Governor was going to place M16's against all trees and in all shopping Carts and in all Playgrounds.......

Are you really saying that was NOT true?

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Frankly, I'm a little pissed. I was promised ARs against all trees and in all playgrounds. I have not seen One. Free. AR. Yet.

:D

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I keep seeing people wanting proclamations and written orders from Hogan regarding G&S, none of which are necessary. He just needs to make the correct appointment. There is no requirement that he do more, and why would he?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I keep seeing people wanting proclamations and written orders from Hogan regarding G&S, none of which are necessary. He just needs to make the correct appointment. There is no requirement that he do more, and why would he?

People expect he will announce it during a nationally televised press conference right after a parade dedicated to his love for the 2A.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Let's not forget that Governor Hogan will be dealing with a legislature that is, for the most part, openly hostile to gun rights. He himself cannot "change" any laws. But he CAN influence the interpretation and enforcement of them, such as the definition of G&S, and other licensing matters. While it's not the legal equivalent of overturning the FSA, it would certainly be a step in the right direction. These things can be accomplished without any involvement of the legislature - it's simply a matter of appointing the right people to particular positions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom