Zabala Brothers 10 GA Shotgun - Any Info?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    This one slips in under the wire as C$R with a date code of 1964.

It's a single-barrel 10 gauge made by Zabala Hermanos S.R.C of Spain, imported by the Richfield Arms Co in the 60's.
    My questions revolve around what model this is, how common/uncommon, etc.
    I haven't found anything on single-barrel 10 gauges made by these folks, only SxS and single-barrel small-bore stuff.

It's actually a nice looking gun, with what I would call "apprentice grade" engraving and case-colored receiver. It's one heavy mutha.

A little background on this particular gun:
    it was obtained by MBAssociates in the mid 60's and used as a test gun for large-bore (20mm) gyrojet rockets.
    The advantage to MBA was a cheap off-the-shelf gun that only needed minor mods - namely removing the choke by cutting off the last few inches of barrel (down to 26" length), and adding a scope.
    No mods were made to the action, chamber, etc. so it's still just a 10 gauge shotgun.
    At some point Robert Mainhardt (president/co-owner/CEO of MBA) put this in his personal collection where it remained for years.
    Advanced collector/gyrojet expert Mel Carpenter** acquired it from Mainhardt several years ago, and then passed it on to me last week as part of a package deal (maybe I'll put up some more from that later :innocent0 )

** Mel literally wrote the book on MBA Gyrojets

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      36.6 KB · Views: 512
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 480
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      92.1 KB · Views: 494
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      83.6 KB · Views: 528
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 447
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      57.9 KB · Views: 436
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 427
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      95.7 KB · Views: 405
    Jul 1, 2012
    Here's an old MBA archive photo of the shotgun with the scope mounted. You can still see faint marks on the barrel from the mount. It also has a unique buttplate hand-made from wood so no question it's the same gun (in addition to the chain-of-ownership provenance). 20 mm gyrojet was just undersized for the bore so there's an O-ring at the base to hold it in place in the chamber.

Attachments

• MBA Pic.jpg
      MBA Pic.jpg
      25.8 KB · Views: 425

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Neat, the Spanish shotguns are certainly heavy metal. I got a Mercury SxS off a member here in 10gauge. Neat gun, heavy, hard to open (need to see if I can adjust that. But well crafted, was going to turn it into a coach gun but too nice for that

Sad, sounds like if I had cut it for coach it would have doubled as a SxS gyrojet (if ammo was even available).

Jul 1, 2012
    I don't think they ever offered 20mm to the public ;)
    It was an experimental round - MBA was constantly wooing the military.
    This shotgun is also a little hard to open, but I'm not a shotgun guy so maybe that's just the way they are. Never heard of Mercury, was that the importer name?

I ran across these links for Spanish mfg while researching this gun. These are for the shotguns but there are associated links for pistols and rifles.
    One nice thing about Spanish firearms is the story that's stamped into them :)

the mfg codes:
    http://personales.jet.es/rafa/b_punzones_larga_lisa.html

the various proofs:
    http://personales.jet.es/rafa/b_punzones_eibar_1931.html

the date codes:
    http://personales.jet.es/rafa/b_punzones_eibar_fecha.html

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I don't think they ever offered 20mm to the public ;)
    It was an experimental round - MBA was constantly wooing the military.
    This shotgun is also a little hard to open, but I'm not a shotgun guy so maybe that's just the way they are. Never heard of Mercury, was that the importer name?

I ran across these links for Spanish mfg while researching this gun. These are for the shotguns but there are associated links for pistols and rifles.
    One nice thing about Spanish firearms is the story that's stamped into them :)

the mfg codes:
    http://personales.jet.es/rafa/b_punzones_larga_lisa.html

the various proofs:
    http://personales.jet.es/rafa/b_punzones_eibar_1931.html

the date codes:
    http://personales.jet.es/rafa/b_punzones_eibar_fecha.html

Spanish guns came under a myriad of names in the 60s, 70s, Mercury was one of the more common ones.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Spanish guns came under a myriad of names in the 60s, 70s, Mercury was one of the more common ones.

Another one that I remember from back then was "Evergreen". Some of them had quick & dirty engravings on them, trying to make them look fancy (and failing), but they tended to be good guns, and were very reasonably priced.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Another one that I remember from back then was "Evergreen". Some of them had quick & dirty engravings on them, trying to make them look fancy (and failing), but they tended to be good guns, and were very reasonably priced.

There were plenty including America's Best, Aramberri, Matador, Buffalo, Loyola, I swear that little cluster of 5 or so makers must have conscripted every name they could think of.

Here is the 10 gauge next to my Rossi Overland. You can tell how much more of a monster it is.

100_1553_278543.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom