• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Can't find the thread but I know a few people here got Spanish Mausers re chambered in 308 from Samco.
    I just got dies for 308 and was looking at these.
    With the free shipping I plan to get one of those or maybe something else tonight
    Thx for any insights if you got onr

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    They are fun shooters. Having a Samco in .308 will make you want one in original 7mm to keep it company...
    :innocent0

Attachments

• Twins 01.JPG
      Twins 01.JPG
      37.4 KB · Views: 860
    • Twins 02.JPG
      Twins 02.JPG
      32 KB · Views: 843

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i know H>P labs tested one and said it was safe.
    heres a pic of a guns and ammo article.

Attachments

• 1916 mauser.308.jpg
      1916 mauser.308.jpg
      130.5 KB · Views: 856

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Can't find the thread but I know a few people here got Spanish Mausers re chambered in 308 from Samco.
    I just got dies for 308 and was looking at these.
    With the free shipping I plan to get one of those or maybe something else tonight
    Thx for any insights if you got onr

Love mine. Had to do the Mosin brush-in-drill to clean the chamber cuz it had some weird hardened junk in it, but works beautifully. Wasn't matching, and the rear sight and buttplate looked like they were cleaned off with a wire wheel. Stock was a bit dirty, but when cleaned turned out to have some beeeeyooteeful tiger striping. Typical tiny SAMCO import mark under the front of the barrel, hidden by the cleaning rod. Mag-follower holds bolt open after last round (sometimes annoying sometimes not). Metal on the (visible) barrel is about 70%, and 85ish on the receiver, but no scratches or dings. Action is smooth, trigger also--has bit of travel before engaging, and has about a 4-5lb pull.

Pulled it out and oiled it up (heh) to try bring out the stripyness, but shit camera is shit:

m6iEuR.jpg

HCCV2n.jpg

2OA72x.jpg

98sE5m.jpg

pTY87S.jpg

y3R8bD.jpg

P8BHqb.jpg

J291iR.jpg

ETA: Oh, yeah...shooting...It puts most of them in the black at 100yds. I would have no hesitation in going hunting with it.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    One of my few C&R regrets. I sold mine at a loss, a think a lot of guys who got them ended up selling them.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    One of my few C&R regrets. I sold mine at a loss, a think a lot of guys who got them ended up selling them.

I didn't sell mine, but haven't seen it in awhile. The one that I got was pretty dogged out and found its way to the part of a safe where uninteresting rifles live. I guess it was worth what I paid for it (not much).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Do these have a crest on them ?
    Or anything else interesting stamped in the barrel?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

The one that I got had a Spanish crest on it, so it was interesting from that standpoint, but otherwise just not so much. I even picked up a bunch of .308 training ammo to shoot from it (because it was cheap ... not because I thought the gun was unsafe with regular ammo), but never was inclined to grab that over something else when heading to the range. I'll resurrect it eventually.

Rev. Beer's rifle looks really nice. Maybe you'll get one like his.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012

The one that I got had a Spanish crest on it, so it was interesting from that standpoint, but otherwise just not so much.

I believe they have both, but don't really differentiate when they send them as I've heard of people getting crests after I got mine (mine has no crest). Prob best to call them to see.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Thx for feedback. Hard to resist the $25 savings in Shipping tonight.
    Like I mentioned, I just started reloading for 308 for my dad so there is nothing new to buy to reload for it as it shares components for other calibers I reload for.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Some don't have crests, mine had this one. My understanding is that the market value is lower without a crest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      41.7 KB · Views: 601

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The M1916 I got from Samco a few years ago had a scrubbed receiver. No biggie to me. I bought it to shoot.

The iron sights on M1916's aren't the best and take getting used to. But mine will eat inexpensive reloaded 308 rounds with either JB's or CB's and beg for more.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC05744.jpg
      DSC05744.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 586

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    In the article on Post #3 it says weight 6 1/2 pounds? 41.3"?
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3531124&postcount=3

I find the weight hard to believe and that length looks a few inches shorter than what Samco says.

A quick check with the tape measure shows mine is 41" and, according to an average with rifle/without rifle weighing of meself, ~8lbs. A different stock wood/varying moisture in the wood could conceivably drop a pound or two.

ETA: My scale is digital and only does whole numbers, hence the ~ (about) 8lbs.

Sirex