• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Just a feeler about keyholing. I was shooting my brand new Mossberg MVP Predator(5.56 w/threaded 18.5" medium bull barrel) yesterday. After I zeroed it in at 75 yrds( I plan on stretching it out, just didn't have time), I noticed the shots were leaving oblong holes in the paper(keyholing). I was shooting 55gr FMJ ammo. I see a number of XM193l on the box.

Any ideas?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    IIRC, the MVP is a 1:9 twist, so it SHOULD have been stabilizing those rounds just fine.

Pull the bolt and look thru the barrel (from the breech end obviously) at a light source and see if you can see a broken land in the rifling or some other type of manufacturing defect.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thats odd, I have the exact same gun and it drives tacks with no issues. Regularly run 55 and 62 grain and bullets. Havent tried the heavier stuff yet.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Normally tumbling is a crown issue. But it could be the Dia of bullets .

I've witnessed firsthand a broken land in a AR barrel cause keyholing at 25 yards - big burr on the back edge of the gas port, and a broken land. Left perfect bullet profiles in the target.

Not saying that's what is going on with Tim's rifle, but it's one more thing to check/rule out.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Not to derail this thread, and I know it is a safety issue - so I'm not advising or recommending anything here. But, I'm curious...

Has there been any research into what type of damage a tumbling bullet would do to a target as compared to one that exhibits a normal flight pattern? I imaging that a bullet impacting a target sideways would dump a significant amount of kinetic energy and splash a lot.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is that rifle chambered in .223 or 5.56? could be problem but I don't know if tumbling would result from shooting 5.56 through a .223 chamber. Prob. a muzzle issue.

:shrug:

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Not to derail this thread, and I know it is a safety issue - so I'm not advising or recommending anything here. But, I'm curious...

Has there been any research into what type of damage a tumbling bullet would do to a target as compared to one that exhibits a normal flight pattern? I imaging that a bullet impacting a target sideways would dump a significant amount of kinetic energy and splash a lot.

Yes, google 5.45x39 or 7.65x32 and tumbling.
    It's not supposed to tumble before it gets to the target, or it's a knuckle ball.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Not much penetration though.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    How can it have NO crown??????

The crown is the end of the barrel where the bullet comes out. It could be a horrible crown, but it HAS to have one.

Completely flat. No crown. Even checked another rifle at the shop and no crown.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This is the problem, it has a crown its just not recessed to protect the lands. There is more than likely a small burr on the crown you can't see!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Most people think of as the crown, is a location, and while it could be various shapes, the important part is at the end of the rifling end at the end of the barrel.

It's called a crown but it doesn't look like the Queen of England's crown. It can have various profiles: flat, recessed, rounded or 15 degrees, but the important part is it at the end of the rifling.

The guru's may argue about which profile is more beneficial, but none of them cause bullets to tumble, unless there is an abnormality with how they are done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom