• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey All,

I got a Lee Loader from a bud as a congrats Gift on getting my first 686+. Dude I got it from said, give this a try on my own, and if I was further interested, he'd consider teaching me how to reload en masse.

So I've saved about 500rnds of brass, and I'm in Carolina for the holiday weekend so I figured I'd try to grab some primers, powder, and bullets while here in gun shop rich Raliegh - Gander Mountain, BassPro (2 enroute), and Greentop on way home.

I plan on mostly using these loads for target shootin, so if possible, the goal is for wad cutters or semi-wadcutters in the end.

I guess my question is, based on my said goal, what "recipe" - brand/kind of primers, powder, and bullets would you try first, if given a Lee Loader to start getting into reloading? How much powder to buy based on brand for say, 1500 rounds in the end would I guess be appreciated too.

Love it or hate it in the end, it'll be a nice experiment and learning experience!

Thanks in advance for any info to help out!

--JB

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Thanks for the input guys. Marauder, that's just the kinda recipe info I was hoping and expecting to get. Buff7mm, that cool tool just made my head explode! What a resource! That def helps organize so many options to choose from! Thanks so much! --JB

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Thanks for the input guys. Marauder, that's just the kinda recipe info I was hoping and expecting to get. Buff7mm, that cool tool just made my head explode! What a resource! That def helps organize so many options to choose from! Thanks so much! --JB

I use it when I'm out and about with my phone if my powder source is out and I need to change up a powder in a pinch.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Small Pistol standard (not magnum) primers.

SWC or RN bullets , to better conform to the bullet seater on the Lee Loader.

Given the still spotty powder situation, you'll probably have to base your choice from what is available. .38Spl is a very forgiving ctg, pretty much any fast to medimum powder will give decent results. Traditional favorites include Bullseye, Red Dot, WW231, HP38, AA#2, Unique. But of course those powders are in high demand by everyone else too, so be flexable.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Thanks, I know it's a long shot, but I'm hopin maybe a change in geography will hopefully give me some better odds at finding supplies. We'll see, and thanks for the info!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    For a very good, very accurate load for punching paper, or shooting NRA Hunter Pistol (out to 100 yards), this load has been my .357 mainstay.

Federal, Winchester, or Remington .357 brass. I trim to 1.280".
    CCI or Winchester SP (small pistol) primers
    7.2 grains of Alliant (formerly Hercules) UNIQUE powder
    Hornady 158 grain JHP (.357") or a HARDCAST SWC sized to .358"
    For the Hornady boolit, seat to the cannelure. For the Hardcast SWC, seat to the crimping groove.

Use a MILD crimp. Do NOT use a heavy crimp. It is NOT necessary.

This load will shoot into one ragged hole at 25 yards. (Well, it's capable of it. My eyes aren't what they used to be!!!)

For 'hot' .357 loads, Alliant (formerly Hercules) 2400 is my choice.

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I had to edit my post.

This is the first chance I've had to get online, today.

I forgot to put the powder name in the post.

The powder is: UNIQUE. It's made/marketed by Alliant (formerly Hercules) powder.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    OK y'all, from a few different sources, I've cobbled together the following:

Target Loads:
    Alliant:
    Unique (Hercules)
    Bullseye

Winchester:
    W231

Magnum loads:
    Power Pistol
    Power Pro 300-MP

PLEASE feel free to add delete, or correct this list as necessary, as I'm trying to put together a goto list of my own for whenever I do happen to run into some powder available. --JB

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I used to put 3.0gr of RedDot behind a 148gr HBWC in my 38 cases. Can't beat a wadcutter for punching paper.

Go do different powder manufacturers websites and look up their load data. If you find any of those powders, buy them. For example: Hodgdon lists 14 different powders for a 148gr HBWC in a 38. (edit: only 10 powders if using a 357 case)
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I used to put 3.0gr of RedDot behind a 148gr HBWC in my 38 cases. Can't beat a wadcutter for punching paper.

Go do different powder manufacturers websites and look up their load data. If you find any of those powders, buy them. For example: Hodgdon lists 14 different powders for a 148gr HBWC in a 38. (edit: only 10 powders if using a 357 case)
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Ahh, OK, thank you for that. BTW - you buy your wadcutters, or make them? I'm assuming there's further savings if one purchases molds vs buying projectiles... Also if you buy, what are some of the better sources for buying HBWC's or just SWC's, etc.?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I bought them. At this point in my life I don't have the time to cast bullets. It would be fun, and I have most of the equipment to do it but simply don't have that much free time;)

IMO, lead bullets are simple and cheap. Lots of folks make them. Heck you can make your own;) Buy them from wherever you can get them cheapest and give them a try. Not like you're buying Sierra HPBT matchkings;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom