What is the most chicken$#$% reason for a ticket?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    What is the definition of "obscured" or "no part". What if I recessed the plate so far into the bumper that you couldn't see it but it is not covered? Like a louver, you can only see it from directly behind.

How big can the washers be that holds\ on the plate. That obscures the plate. Is there a specification for this?

I guess backup cameras are out too!

No more bicycle racks.

It can get ridiculous fast.

http://www.noveltyplates.ca/photo_radar_blocker.html

You are absolutely right.

What part of "no part of the tag shall be obscured" is unclear?

Does Maryland have a standard fastener that you have to use to secure your license plate on to your car with? I'm sure that is written into the law as well. What can the maximum shoulder diameter be should you not want to use washers?

What about the mud I get on the plate while driving? Bugs, salt from the road?

I mean I think I understand the law but I think you could pull over most every driver on the road and give them a ticket for this violation.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    As crazy as this might sound, and possibly contrary to the thread, I have never gotten a driving related citation that I didn't deserve:

speeding - yep, guilty as charged
    Illegal U-Turn - yessir - I knew what I was doing and took my chances of getting cited
    red light camera - been caught a couple of times when I misjudged the timing of the light

I don't talk myself into getting a ticket vs getting out with a warning (that's happened a couple of times too) but I don't try to talk my way out of them either. I just calmly follow directions and accept the consequences for my actions - maybe I'm just weird or something.

As for the dealer plate frame the OP talked about, I remove those as soon as I get my vehicle home. Until the dealership starts paying me to advertise for them, I refuse to use a dealer-supplied license plate frame.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I got pulled over a year ago for speeding in DE. I was admittedly going about 65 in a 55 Just south of rehoboth. I saw the trooper coming the other way just as a silver dodge Durango went ZOOMING past me on my left. I didn't even attempt to hit the brakes since I was only 10 over AND that idiot that flew by me had to be doing 90+. I guess he didn't see the trooper bc he didn't touch his brakes either. Just then I check my side mirror and see the cop doing a u turn in the grassy median. I'm like AWESOME, he's gonna go get that dbag that just passed me.
    WRONG, the female officer pulls me over. She was very nice, I was very polite back. Then my wife leans over and starts yelling at her, why didn't she pull over that a hole that just passed us. The cop, still being nice, told us very matter-of-factly that it was easier to catch us. My face was :shocking:
    I got off with a warning so no harm, no foul. But boy did that statement piss me off. :mad54:

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Then my wife leans over and starts yelling at her, why didn't she pull over that a hole that just passed us. The cop, still being nice, told us very matter-of-factly that it was easier to catch us. My face was :shocking:
    I got off with a warning so no harm, no foul. But boy did that statement piss me off. :mad54:

:lol: Reminds me of Shady Grove Rd. by Piney Meeting House Rd.; speed limit from 9PM to 6AM is 25MPH. Lots of street racing goes on, but the cops are more likely to pull you over going 45MPH than a street racer doing 90MPH+...

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    :lol: Reminds me of Shady Grove Rd. by Piney Meeting House Rd.; speed limit from 9PM to 6AM is 25MPH. Lots of street racing goes on, but the cops are more likely to pull you over going 45MPH than a street racer doing 90MPH+...

I already knew that was the reason. When my wife blurted that out I was shocked. I was even more shocked by the fact that the officer admitted it. I didn't ask bc I didn't think I would get a truthful answer. I really thought she would say that she didnt see another vehicle or some other lame excuse. Props for honesty I suppose??? :shrug:

(1)Fishing without a license,the bridge I was on was the dividing line for tidal/non-tidal and I was on the wrong side.Thought the licenses were still classified as fresh/salt water.:sad20:

(2) Repair order for "loud" exhaust,had mufflers on it but his "opinion" was it was too loud,this was after he followed me for about 10 miles on back roads and lights me up at a stop light after it turned green. no decibal readings,just loud:mad54:

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I just got a ticket out on I-495. I got picked out of a line of traffic right at the I-494 & I-95 split. MY crime? The dealer installed license plate frame covered the lower 3/4 inch of the Maryland Plate with his name. Its that part of the plate that says www.maryland.gov or Treasure the Chesapeake. The ticket was for "obscuring the license plate"

Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for a more chicken%$#^ reason?

Maryland uses stickers for registration I think. That may have something to do with it.
    FWIW I got a ticket for having a clear license plate cover [not the smoke and not the obfuscating type]. I beat it in court but I think it was just an excuse to pull me over .

Jimet

Feb 4, 2007
    Harford Co.
    Probably should go in the red light camera thread, but I'll stick it here anyway On the way back from a nascar race in Dover, De., I went through a two lane, unmaned toll booth. One lane was for ez pass which I had, the other had a basket for a quarter, I went through the wrong one. Nobody was around, so I didn't think much about it. A few weeks later, I got a letter, along with a photo of my truck going through the booth, wanting 25 cents. I wrote the State of Deleware a check for 25 cents.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Probably should go in the red light camera thread, but I'll stick it here anyway On the way back from a nascar race in Dover, De., I went through a two lane, unmaned toll booth. One lane was for ez pass which I had, the other had a basket for a quarter, I went through the wrong one. Nobody was around, so I didn't think much about it. A few weeks later, I got a letter, along with a photo of my truck going through the booth, wanting 25 cents. I wrote the State of Deleware a check for 25 cents.

just be glad it was $.25
    In MD that bill would have been for $40.25 ;)

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    If you want to talk about tolls:

Got a rental in Orlando for family vacation. Rental clerk said to stay RIGHT on the highway outside of the airport. I didn't realize it until I went through the toll plaza. About two months later I get a bill from the rental place for $10.70. The $.70 for the toll and the $10.00 for their handling of it. Florida sent them the bill and they tracked it to me. Oh well, next time I'll stay RIGHT.

Went to Portsmouth VA (and its not pronounced Ports-mouth as far as I can tell). Had to go through the tunnel from Norfolk to Portsmouth - sign says pay by EZ-Pass or tag. I don't have an EZ-Pass so I expected the toll bill in the mail. About 4 months go by and finally it shows up - $2.00. So I send a check. Another two months and the $2 comes BACK! Turns out the billing company didn't send the bill fast enough (90 days) and as a matter of policy returned the $2. The original bill was dated 91 days after the toll. I still have not cashed their check simply because I'm afraid some bureaucrat will not have received the memo and I'll get a nasty-gram sometime in the future.

I shudder to think what Maryland would do - probably charge me a late fee because THEY sent the bill late or maybe even suspend my tags...

Took the family up to Havre de Grace to look around. I was very careful to avoid any tolls going up - went around Baltimore. When we started back home, I made a right instead of left and ended up going north across the d*mn Hatem Bridge - $8.00. I grumbled at the toll lady and she acted surprised I was miffed about paying. Oh well, on previous trips to Cabela's in Christianna, I bypassed all the tolls so I guess the toll karma demon had to get some revenge.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I just got a ticket out on I-495. I got picked out of a line of traffic right at the I-494 & I-95 split. MY crime? The dealer installed license plate frame covered the lower 3/4 inch of the Maryland Plate with his name. Its that part of the plate that says www.maryland.gov or Treasure the Chesapeake. The ticket was for "obscuring the license plate"

Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for a more chicken%$#^ reason?

I'm a train wreck waiting to happen apparently, how much?

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    As crazy as this might sound, and possibly contrary to the thread, I have never gotten a driving related citation that I didn't deserve:

speeding - yep, guilty as charged
    Illegal U-Turn - yessir - I knew what I was doing and took my chances of getting cited
    red light camera - been caught a couple of times when I misjudged the timing of the light

I don't talk myself into getting a ticket vs getting out with a warning (that's happened a couple of times too) but I don't try to talk my way out of them either. I just calmly follow directions and accept the consequences for my actions - maybe I'm just weird or something.

As for the dealer plate frame the OP talked about, I remove those as soon as I get my vehicle home. Until the dealership starts paying me to advertise for them, I refuse to use a dealer-supplied license plate frame.

:thumbsup:

Weird, no. Increasingly uncommon, certainly.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Maryland uses stickers for registration I think. That may have something to do with it.
    FWIW I got a ticket for having a clear license plate cover [not the smoke and not the obfuscating type]. I beat it in court but I think it was just an excuse to pull me over .

I have seen similar rulings.

A plate cover, in the Frensel style design as to avoid photographing the plate clearly, also get dropped.

There are better ways to prevent cameras.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I got stopped once because I passed a police car. I was driving under the posted speed limit. I made a left turn and he followed me. He told me the reason he stopped me was because one of my brake lights didn't light up. My tail lights have three sections. Red break light, amber turn signal and clear back up. When I showed him, then he changed and said my tag light was too dim. He touched it and knocked the dust off and it was fine.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    I know a guy who was at home, private property, sitting in his car listening to music and drinking a glass of rum. Engine, lights, etc were all off. Only the radio was on. Cops pulled into his driveway, stated that they noticed a person sitting in the car and wanted to make sure everything was ok. They discovered the guy was drinking so they arrested him for DUI. The guy spent the night in jail. Was released the following day. Prosecutor refused to prosecute because even he agreed it was BS. Ultimately the Sheriff chimed in and said his deputies arrested the guy because the guy "may have decided to drive since he was already in the car." It was a public safety thing I s'pose.

teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    If the dealer installed it, I would go back and get the money for the ticket from them. I doubt that would work thought, so I would go to court for sure.

If you bought the car from the dealer and the dealer installed the plates and frame they could be liable. The dealer has technicians who perform the state inspections. While this is not necessary for new vehicles, the reason it is not necessary is that it is expected that a brand new car is up to current code when placed on the road by the dealer.

Might at least want to inform the dealer of this.

Just my .02

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I know a guy who was at home, private property, sitting in his car listening to music and drinking a glass of rum. Engine, lights, etc were all off. Only the radio was on. Cops pulled into his driveway, stated that they noticed a person sitting in the car and wanted to make sure everything was ok. They discovered the guy was drinking so they arrested him for DUI. The guy spent the night in jail. Was released the following day. Prosecutor refused to prosecute because even he agreed it was BS. Ultimately the Sheriff chimed in and said his deputies arrested the guy because the guy "may have decided to drive since he was already in the car." It was a public safety thing I s'pose.
    Sort of like how any woman 'may be a hooker .......' :sad20:

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Thought I'd pipe in. I GENERALLY a stop vehicles for moving violations. Specifically speed. Minimum 15 over means minimum $90 and 2 point ticket. As a result I OFTEN right BS tickets. I do this in lieu of the moving violation. They tend to be in the $50-$70 range and involve no points. Yet people get furious and take them to court and berate me. I'm trying to be nice. You were going to get a ticket. You got one with no points.

And, for the record, yes, I've known guys to stop for and write bs tickets. As a group, we tend to not like them either. And, as a rule, judges tend to know who they are. But I also agree with the guy who said be mad at the legislature. These things shouldn't be laws. We have too many as is.

Feb 28, 2013
    I went to court because I figured that there was no way that I could lose. He explained that CT has a law and that if you have X number of cars (This was back in '87-88 and I can't remember the actual number) behind you in traffic you are impeding traffic. I explained to him that I was doing the speed limit because I didn't want to get a ticket and but he said that it was irrelevant because I wasn't ticketed for speeding, I was ticketed for impeding traffic.

I carried the ticket in my wallet for years just to prove to people that I wasn't making this crap up.

That might make Lone Ranger's head explode. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom