• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    Please remember that incendiary, tracer or explosive rounds are prohibited at the Elk Neck State Forest Ranges.

That would include Dragon Breath shotgun rounds.

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    Nope, paper targets only for pistol/rifle. Clays only on the shotgun side. And, of course, only slugs for shotguns if on the rifle range, patterning isn't permitted due to damage to baffles.

Really, the rules are mostly common sense stuff, but there's always somebody causing problems for everybody else. I'm grateful that the forest staff is so understanding and hasn't shut everything down.

ENSF RSO Jerry Horn

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    Is the ban on shooting from the standing position still in effect?
    On the rifle side, yes (no prone, either... from the shooting table only). That came with the target center height adjustment to 54". All in attempt to keep the rounds hitting the berm and not the baffles or rocky dirt (ricochet risk).

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    Pumpkins are not allowed as generally they seldom get picked up and removed. Neither are phone books for the same reason.

Standing and shooting is not permitted at the rifle range and that will not change back.

I would ask everyone that comes to the range to please take a close look around and view the damage that is being inflicted on the structures. Not only are the baffles being destroyed but some are choosing to intentionally shoot the upright posts and protective coverings. Reality is simple, the more destruction that continues could possibly lead to more restrictive rules.

We will be replacing damaged lumber over the summer months on Monday mornings. As in the past we always ask for volunteers to assist us. To date, we have had no takers.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Pumpkins are not allowed as generally they seldom get picked up and removed. Neither are phone books for the same reason.

Standing and shooting is not permitted at the rifle range and that will not change back.

I would ask everyone that comes to the range to please take a close look around and view the damage that is being inflicted on the structures. Not only are the baffles being destroyed but some are choosing to intentionally shoot the upright posts and protective coverings. Reality is simple, the more destruction that continues could possibly lead to more restrictive rules.

We will be replacing damaged lumber over the summer months on Monday mornings. As in the past we always ask for volunteers to assist us. To date, we have had no takers.

Monday mornings aren't good for most shooters (unless it's in Baltimore City ) as we have jobs :D
    I have only shot Elk Neck 1 or 2 times but would gladly help any weekend.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I may be able to would be willing to work on the range rehab, got the experience and the time on Mondays. I'd like details and maybe if you put a thread up about it you might get some takers.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I was there last week on 4/16 and the damage to the rifle range baffles and posts is unbelievable. People are just going "NUTS" there.

I suggest that anyone who sees people deliberately damaging the range that they then try to get license plate numbers. Do not approach the perps. Then, give the Rangers the information!! I believe the perps should be fined!!!! :thumbsup:

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I was there last week on 4/16 and the damage to the rifle range baffles and posts is unbelievable. People are just going "NUTS" there.

I suggest that anyone who sees people deliberately damaging the range that they then try to get license plate numbers. Do not approach the perps. Then, give the Rangers the information!! I believe the perps should be fined!!!! :thumbsup:

My last and final time there, a young pair of clowns with their girlfriends took up 3 tables. One to hold all of their AK's and two to shoot cross lane, tearing up the baffles. When I told them they need to shoot down their own lane, the just laughed. I got the hell out of there as my daughter was with me. Self preservation!

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    I appreciate the positive communications about this topic. We have to do the work on Mondays as closing down on a weekend is impossible. We can advertise it all we want, but some would still come and have a negative interaction with it being closed. We have that problem on Mondays even now with us not opening until 1:00.

All help is appreciated. You can call the office at 410-287-5675 or send me a PM. We are in need of volunteer range safety officers. Please ask the ones you see at the range. They can provide you all the info needed if you are interested. I will create a thread about volunteering as we get closer to the time we want to do the work.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Just a suggestion have you thought about shutting it down a little early on the weekends? Say 3:30-4pm. You would get alot more volunteers as most of us work during the week. (I work Mondays) I seldom see alot of shooters out there that late anyway. That's when I like to go as most of the morning crowds are long gone. Plenty of sunlight left to replace wood.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I love elk necks range but haven't been in a while. People just need to stop trying to be Rambo and nothing would get torn up. RNge officers are generally ok when they are there.... Last time there were bullet holes in the bathroom door. Senseless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom