• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I've been thinking a lot lately about the role of the armed citizen/concealed carry permit holder. For those of us lucky enough to have acquired our carry permits in MD, I'd like to hear what you guys think are our responsibilities.

From teaching Wear and Carry classes I get a pretty wide variety of responses to this question.
    Ill tell you my least favorite answer is the whole "Maybe I can be in the right place to stop and active shooter" response. This kind of mindset makes me nervous that the individual is on his/her way down the path to a hero complex and that can create more problems than solutions.

I like to say that the main responsibility of a CIVILIAN concealed carry permit holder is to: Get. Home. Safe.
    Get home safely to your family to whom you owe your ultimate responsibility.

Anyway I'd like to hear what you guys think. Especially if you are among the few in MD that have their permit.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    While I don't reside in Maryland anymore, my thoughts on being a permit holder are simple. Carrying a handgun on my person is for my protection, and for my wife. I'm not Billy Bad A**, and I don't have any sort of hero complex. Like you've adumbrated, it's to facilitate myself and my wife getting home safely. This means avoiding stupid people, in stupid places, doing stupid things. This means checking my ego at the door and not getting into any sort of road rage type incidents or verbal altercations that have the potential to escalate. If I witness a crime going down, and it doesn't involve a direct threat to my person, I call the police and be a good witness.

This is what I think.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    ^^^^

THIS.

I have a VA NR permit. The same would apply in MD if I could carry. Alas, as a law abiding citizen, I am not worthy in the eyes of the MD govt.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    While I don't reside in Maryland anymore, my thoughts on being a permit holder are simple. Carrying a handgun on my person is for my protection, and for my wife. I'm not Billy Bad A**, and I don't have any sort of hero complex. Like you've adumbrated, it's to facilitate myself and my wife getting home safely. This means avoiding stupid people, in stupid places, doing stupid things. This means checking my ego at the door and not getting into any sort of road rage type incidents or verbal altercations that have the potential to escalate. If I witness a crime going down, and it doesn't involve a direct threat to my person, I call the police and be a good witness.

This is what I think.

I carry every day and I echo Pretoria78's thoughts on the subject.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.

This is what I think.

Yup, I would only add my son to my responsibility.

TD

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    IMO, the role of the CCW holder is as a deterrent to crime that benefits the entire population. The fact that any/all of us could be capable of effectively repelling a criminal attack serves as a deterrent for those who might prey on the general population, because the risk of injury/death may be seen to outweigh the benefit of the few dollars in the prospective victim's pocket.

One's role as an armed citizen is a little different, and includes many of the reasons discussed above.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm going to get myself/family out of harm's way and be a good witness. I am not a LEO. Even a clean shoot would change my life forever and I kind of like the same ol' same ol' in that department.....

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    IMO, the role of the CCW holder is as a deterrent to crime that benefits the entire population. The fact that any/all of us could be capable of effectively repelling a criminal attack serves as a deterrent for those who might prey on the general population, because the risk of injury/death may be seen to outweigh the benefit of the few dollars in the prospective victim's pocket.

One's role as an armed citizen is a little different, and includes many of the reasons discussed above.

I agree with this viewpoint, but unfortunately it only works in communities/states where CCW is a norm. In MD CCW is not in the culture therefore the average scumbag is not expecting a victim to be armed...

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I view my #1 role as getting me and my family home.

Having said that, I do believe that if #1 is accomplished (they weren't present to begin with or have escaped), AND something is happening that "shocks the consciousness", then I might respond. So, mugging across the street? Sorry, I'll just try to be a good witness. But Charlie Hebdo attack? Westgate Mall attack at Towson Town Center? Maybe. It would really depend on the circumstances of the event. For example, the rooftop video of the Charlie Hebdo attack, when the bad guys shot the cop. I feel like I could have dropped one of those guys (from the same spot the cameraman was in) with any of my Glocks and then beat feet out of there. I wouldn't go toe to toe against AKs, but I could shoot and scoot if I felt like I had an exit to my six. But I really can't say for sure right now....No one knows until he or she is in those circumstances. I might just sh*t my pants and run home!

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    A friend of mine and I were driving down a two lane road. We noticed a car on the opposite side of the road ahead with a couple outside. From our point of view it looked like the male was hitting on a much smaller female. My friend who is about 6'3'240lb and I pull to a stop and my friend jumps out and grabs a hold of the guy. In the next second the female buries a rather large knife in the chest of the male. Turns out she was the aggressor and had tried to stab him in the car as he was driving. He pulls over and they both jump out as we pull up. The guy lived but it taught me a lesson. Call 911

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Best advice I was given when I started carrying daily was in almost every situation do exactly what you would do if you weren't carrying. Makes sense to me.

I was going to type something similar, but saw you beat me to it. Having a gun just gives you more of a capability to deal with a threat, but doesn't suddenly deputize you to go looking for situations in which you can use it. If you're able to do something to protect someone, and you're legally in the clear, then you can if you wish. I'm of the mindset that you should, regardless of if I've got a gun or not.

Your main goal should always be a deescalation of force when possible. A gun shouldn't be an incentive to run your mouth in a bar, drive aggressively, or purposely go into situations in which you feel threatened. The responsibility that comes with carrying a lethal tool is to do everything in your power to avoid using it.

Along with that responsibility, it's generally a good idea if the person carrying seeks training regularly. He or she shouldn't only look for physical training to be able to use the firearm proficiently, but situational training that helps develop judgment, and legal training to help them know when force is legal and what to do after an incident.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you find yourself finding yourself going towards a situation that may require self defense, you're probably doing it wrong.

Since active shooter was mentioned in the OP, let's throw this predicament in for some thought.

You are making your retreat from an active shooter ahead, but while trying to remove yourself from the equation, you come upon a bleeding injured person who cannot walk, what do you (or wife with kid) do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom