• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    That's right folks..The Mission continues! We've STILL got a country to save..Maybe even more so.. A Nation of Rifleman is our goal... We need YOU to make it happen... Sign up links are NOW HOT for the first Maryland Appleseeds of 2015! Check back frequently, as more shoots WILL be added!

Who: You AND a spouse, child and or friend
    What: Project Appleseed
    When: Classes this year at AAFG Annapolis, Berwyn in Bowie, AGC in Marriottsville, Sanner's Lake in Lexington Park, St Charles in Waldorf, NRA in NoVA, with more ranges being added.

Class signup link is hot for online sign up: http://appleseedinfo.org/search-stat...ename=Maryland

Want up to the minute Maryland Appleseed updates? LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Project-Appleseed-Maryland/264406060313831

Some events will be 22LR ONLY!!! Other ranges MAY allow centerfire, so read the details of the class carefully when signing up!
    Classes sizes will be determined by the facility. These classes sell out quick, so sign up NOW to assure your spot on the line!

FEE STRUCTURE FOR 2015
    Adult Men & Women = $60 , Youth under 18 = $20
    Active Military, Reserve & Guard = FREE, Peace Officer = FREE, Reenactors in Period Dress = FREE, Elected Official = FREE
    Sign-up MUST be done online.
    Everybody including the "free" shooters listed above, MUST be signed up online.

See the links for the REST of the important details...

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
    Check out this site to learn more, what to bring, recommended equipment.
    Also check the forums linked there, including info on how to set up a Liberty Training Rifle. :

Whats New and Important Notes for 2015

April 19th Events. Appleseed Christmas in April.. This year April 19th, falls on a weekend. This year there will be 14,000 people Nationwide attending these special events! Join us for these Extra special events, with unique T-shirts, Special history lessons, and stuff that you won't want to miss! If you are going to come to any event, THESE are the ones you want to be at!

FULL DISTANCE Events! Only open to previous Appleseed attendees and Riflemen, putting those skills to the test out to 200, 300, or maybe even 500 yards! At least one tentatively scheduled, with more likely to come!

Maryland Specific Appleseed Patches: you have the ability to earn the MD Front Site patch..Maryland Distinguished Patch (a very cool design if I say so myself), Known Distance (KD) qualified rocker, and Maryland rocker. These are only able to be earned in Maryland AND are you are going to have to be on top of your game to earn these puppies. You WILL want these to join your Rifleman patch...

Think you can get a group of 10 or more shooters together for two or
    even ONE day of shooting? PM me with 6-8 weeks notice, and odds are
    in your favor that you may be able to set up YOUR OWN private Appleseed!
    This is a great option for you scout troop leaders, home schoolers, 4-H, work or civic groups or associations, etc., etc.,
    to learn to shoot, hear the story, and keep the tradition alive...
    Let me know your groups needs, and we WILL make it work for you.. THIS OFFER STILL STANDS for 2015!

For those unfamiliar with the program, here's a link to the previous years Appleseed threads, chock full of advice, info, FAQ's and their answers..http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=69417 and
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=33762 and http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=46294
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=98251
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=141050

Finally, THANK YOU MD Shooters and Congratulations to all attendees, volunteer instructors, Rifleman, and Cooks who are still working towards earning that patch, who helped make 2014 Appleseed in Maryland an amazing success! New ranges were added, and new sparks of Liberty were ignited inside Riflemen across the Old Line state..

Special Thanks to Anne Arundel Fish & Game Assc (AAFG), Sanner's Lake, AGC , Berwyn, St Charles, and Ft Meade for hosting us during 2014. I hope other gun clubs in Maryland will join them in inviting us aboard in 2015.

Remember..we are non-profit, all volunteer Nationwide program.. we can always use ANY help we can get! Why not step up to do your part to help save our Nation? The ships sinking folks, we need to stop being iceberg spotters and start bailing now!

BeSwift

Last edited:

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Winterseeds..Don't Miss YOUR Chance

OK all... Don't miss you chance to earn that coveted Winterseed Rifleman patch.. ONLY available during Winter below freezing/inclement weather.. You only a couple of chances per year to get this, so take advantage of em... AAFG in Annapolis Jan and Feb for ONE day events AND in nearby Leetown WV for those folks in the Frederick/Hagerstown vicinity..... Do YOU have what it takes?
    http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-map.php
    BeSwift

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Facebook link fixed... Thanks for letting us know it wasn't right!

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I did an Appleseed in November and I was disappointed and frustrated. I don't think the Appleseed organization does a good job of communicating expectations and what is really involved with the program. For example: No mention of "qualification" or the course of fire on the Appleseed site as part of the program information.

The program also downplays the true equipment requirements. They say bring any gun you have that you are familiar with. Apparently Appleseed and the rest of the world have a different definition of "familiar". They say bring your hunting rifle with optic. I say if you do, you will not be able to complete the course of fire unless you're already shooting CMP rapid fire and know your rifle blindfolded and you shoot IPSC on the side. Not a realistic expectation from a recreational or sport shooter. Basically, unless you're bringing a magazine-fed semi-auto with 2-4 10 round magazines or top-fed stripper clips, don't bother.

Not saying the Appleseed is bad. I may do another one after I get over my frustration with the first one. I wish Appleseed would state that it may take, quoting the instructors I was with, "3-4 Appleseeds to qualify". That helps put things in perspective.

I loved the history. Hated the shooting. An Appleseed is the only time ever I have come home from the range angry.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    I did an Appleseed in November and I was disappointed and frustrated. I don't think the Appleseed organization does a good job of communicating expectations and what is really involved with the program. For example: No mention of "qualification" or the course of fire on the Appleseed site as part of the program information.

The program also downplays the true equipment requirements. They say bring any gun you have that you are familiar with. Apparently Appleseed and the rest of the world have a different definition of "familiar". They say bring your hunting rifle with optic. I say if you do, you will not be able to complete the course of fire unless you're already shooting CMP rapid fire and know your rifle blindfolded and you shoot IPSC on the side. Not a realistic expectation from a recreational or sport shooter. Basically, unless you're bringing a magazine-fed semi-auto with 2-4 10 round magazines or top-fed stripper clips, don't bother.

Not saying the Appleseed is bad. I may do another one after I get over my frustration with the first one. I wish Appleseed would state that it may take, quoting the instructors I was with, "3-4 Appleseeds to qualify". That helps put things in perspective.

I loved the history. Hated the shooting. An Appleseed is the only time ever I have come home from the range angry.

What type of rifle were you trying to use. I could see it would be harder to complete the day with a bolt action but I dont think I would be angry about the shooting part.

I took my daughter last year and she used a S&W 15/22 and I a 10/22 scoped. I will say my daughter was a bit frustrated because she wasnt shooting well and I had a great time all the way through even though I didnt qualify. We are planning on going again this year but hope to practice more before going. I did ask a lot of questions before we attended on one of the threads to try and prepare.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sorry you were disappointed with the program and had gear struggles. Hopefully, you left with improved skills and knowledge, nonetheless. It took me 3 shoots to make it.. one of our volunteers took 7 events..

Gear struggles are tough, but use caution here.. I've seen a lot of shooters focus too much on gear, end up stretching out their timeline for qualification. It's easy to do..

We pretty much have a standing offer for loaner equipment and gear..stuff that's already set up and maximized to make the Rifleman journey easier. I'd urge everyone to avail themselves to it to avoid the variable of less than ideal equipment from the equation.

By the same token, I've seen people shoot and qualify with single shot rifles, bolt guns (regularly), occasionally even antique stuff.. even know of an adult who did it with a Cricket youth gun! Not the norm, but it happens..

To put a little perspective on this, we've "borrowed" the US Army course of fire from the 1930's.. During that period they were using the 03 Springfield!
    It'd take me a fair amount of practice to do it with an 30.06 bolt gun, so to think this was the expectation for all recruits, kinda makes my head spin and gives me more respect that those ole timers who knew how to shoot!

I hope you will come back out and join us on the line. We'll do whatever we can to help you qualify, so don't hesitate to ask.. Drop me a PM or email, and I'll talk you thru whatever gear questions or needs you've got going on prior to the event and hopefully get you over the hump.. See you on the line! BeSwift

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    I was one of those guys who needed to attend 4 Appleseed Events to achieve my Rifleman patch; it is a challenging course of fire!

Part of my challenge was getting up to snuff with my chosen rifle. I had purchased a brand new semi-auto, magazine-fed .22 based upon what I had seen on various forums about Appleseed (including this one). That was a mistake since many production rifles need several rounds put through them to properly break in a new one and I had just enough misfeeds and stovepipes to really drive me to distraction on that first weekend (and I've never had any problems with the rifle feeding since).

But even once I got all of my rifle issues corrected, I still needed additional Appleseed Events until I was properly using all of the techniques that they'd taught me. They aren't kidding when they talk about the "firehose of information" that they present to their students; it takes a while for just about everyone to put it all to the proper use.

Sorry that you came away feeling angry about your experience. I can only hope that you'll give it another try and that will make your achievements even sweeter when they come.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Appleseed Xmas in April

If there is ONE event you want to attend, it's one of our FOUR events in MD on the weekend of April 18-19th. Special tee shirts, special patches, special history! Nationwide Liberty volley, and much much more. Spots still available on the line at our Annapolis and Waldorf shoots..

If you just can't wait (and I HOPE you can't :D ), our March shoots still have spots on the line too, for Annapolis and AGC...

BeSwift

mrgnstrn

Mar 18, 2014
    I'm signed up, and have nearly everything for my upcoming appleseed, but...

How much ammo do we need? is ~700 enough for both days?

-M

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore

An Appleseed is the only time ever I have come home from the range angry.

I left my first Appleseed without a patch, and like you was so pissed at my performance that I didn't want to return. But I did, and now I'll be going to my third this year (with my daughter). Give it another shot. Every time I return I get better and learn something new... it's the one-on-one tips that have really made the biggest improvements.

To anyone attending for the first time, show up with an open mind and prepare to push your body into what--initially--feel like unnatural positions. You may have to "unlearn" some skills you thought you already had down.

It doesn't matter so much what rifle you bring as long as it is RELIABLE. Make sure you've put several hundred rounds down the barrel beforehand and have it working well... nothing is more frustrating than having it jam while under time pressure.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    May & June Shoots!

OK folks... we've got a TON of room left on the line for the May Appleseed events at Marriotsville & Annapolis, and our LADIES only events in Bowie and Annapolis in June.. These ladies only shoots are "judgement free zones" and a great way to learn the basics of accurate rifle shooting!

Sign on up folks... We've got a Nation to save! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=MD&statename=Maryland

wanman75

Jan 17, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I was at the March shoot in Marriottsville with my daughter. She qualified -- first time with a rifle, ever -- but alas, I did not. I will be there for the May event to try again, and I'm bringing a co-worker and his two boys.

The crowd is friendly and instruction is top notch. As Rob said above, as long as you come with an open mind you will have a great time and learn something new. I highly recommend that you come and bring your offspring along.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I have been twice and noted (dramatic) improvement from start to finish. I left disappointed after the second one bc I was so close in scoring that I definitely know I had the skill to get it, just didnt have the concentration to do it. Any disappointment I had was on me, not the program or instructors who I think do a great job. I'll be back to get my patch after testing a few parameters on my own. I would say to anyone to not focus on just getting the patch. Instead, look at your scores and and misses on each test and see if there is improvement. My misses were erratic the fist day, by the end of it, I had a whole lot less misses, and the ones I had showed a consistent pattern. Those can be fixed, and it shows me the skill that Appleseed is helping me build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom