• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    After being rained out last weekend, I managed to get a spare hour at the range today. It helps that is it a sunny 70 degree day here in Eastern NC.

After trying a few different rifles in the past and not finding anything I could bond with, I think I have finally found a rifle I can deal with.

I used both PMC and PPU ammo, all brass cased .223. My intention was only to do a function test and not a full range day. I'll work on accuracy and distance another day. I wanted to see if the gun worked. That's all.

Well, it worked. Worked well. Only had two hiccups, and I attribute those to either the ammo or the fact that it was a brand new magazine.

I can't begin to say how much I love this rifle. I know they aren't known for pinpoint accuracy, but I was hitting what I wanted to hit every time.

I bought it for range shooting and also for home defense- as an addition to my 1911 and shotgun defense. :D

I loaded six rounds in the mag before my thumb told me to stop. This group was from 20-25 yards.

11058389_10155310567255585_6645935687232663885_n.jpg

This is from about 30 yards. 8 rounds in the magazine. Yeah, I know one was really high. :innocent0

11054357_10155310567350585_4559200879028231294_n.jpg

I didn't buy this to use as a long distance rifle. I wanted a short distance rifle but didn't want an AR15.

I can't wait to get a full day outside with this rifle. :thumbsup:

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I have shot many rifles over the years, but never thought of buying one till I shot a Mini. It is a Jack of All Trades rifle and very fun to shoot. Every time my wife and I go out to pop off some rounds I always have to bring the Mini along.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Very nice indeed. Keep it simple. Don't scope it. Stick with iron sights and it will serve you reliably and well for as long as you own it.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    I bought one a year or so ago and have yet to shoot it. This reminds me that I need to get it out sometime soon.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Very nice indeed. Keep it simple. Don't scope it. Stick with iron sights and it will serve you reliably and well for as long as you own it.

This one is a 180 series from 1976. From what I have seen, they are a pain to scope.....that alone is motivation to stick with iron sights. I'm not a scope guy anyway.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    This one is a 180 series from 1976. From what I have seen, they are a pain to scope.....that alone is motivation to stick with iron sights. I'm not a scope guy anyway.

i have one from the 80's and it is still a fun gun to shoot. You'll have lots of great times with it.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    My mini 14 was very rugged & very reliable...

When I shot 55 grain ammo it was at best 3" - 4" groups at 100 yards...

It didn't matter who made the ammo or how much it cost, BUT...

HOWEVER when I switched over to 50 grain polymer tipped ammo, my groups dropped to 2" with no other changes...

And I was using inexpensive off the shelf ammo...

Here is a link to what my Mini 14 liked...

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Remington-223-Federal-American-Eagle-50-Grain-p/ae223gtv.htm

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    they are made to be great for a specific purpose:

shooting at anything at 100 yards or less

Have yet to find a handier carbine. The wood stocked Department of Corrections trade in GB model I have is just so damned handy.

I am thinking of having it melonited

The polymer stock, folding stock, pretty much anything to make it more tactical... none of it beats out that wooden stock. It's just balanced in such a way that whatever you are looking at you are pointing at.

I had a red dot on it for awhile...

I honestly prefer the irons. Why mess with success?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom