• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Two weeks ago, with your assistance and support, I completed my first AR-15 lower. Now I'm shopping for an accompanying upper.

I have handguard questions.

I see two basic styles. The one held in place by a spring loaded delta ring and the free float design. Am I correct so far?

As the grip and stock on the new lower are FDE, I'd like the handguard to match. It's important that the drapes match the carpet.

What's the easiest way to do this? As there are very few uppers sold with FDE handguards, I'm thinking I need to buy the completed upper I want and have it cerakoted.

I've looked at the videos on assembling an upper and I'm not sure I want to go that route.

I haven't seen a lot of FDR-colored handguards. Does anyone have a suggestion? I assume that if I can assemble a lower, with a few lost detents and one F-word, I can replace the handguards.

Thanks!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    There are some companies that give you options for handguards. Bravo Company comes to mind.

They and other companies also sell uppers without handguards. You can then buy and add one of your liking.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Delta ring handguards are simple to replace. Free float is more work but not a big deal. Your preference. I prefer traditional handguards and all of mine are Magpul MOE. Bravo Company sells very nice stripped uppers if you go the traditional handguard route (assuming your lower is pre-ban).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If he has a bench vise, receiver blocks/action rod, and the basic tools - he can do an upper.

It isn't super difficult, but there are times when it's better to have an experienced person assist or even walk him thru the process.

The last 3 uppers I've helped build, every one of them threw a curveball at some point in the process.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Op you are more then welcome to borrow my tools that are needed to build an upper. My first one I borrowed a friends. Since then I bought everything. Should of mentioned it on first post.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    FWIW, still a low-intermediate knowledge level AR individual here. I have come to one conclusion - a free float is worth the effort. The accuracy and consistency is worth it. It doesn't have to be high dollar, good will work.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    If he has a bench vise, receiver blocks/action rod, and the basic tools - he can do an upper.

It isn't super difficult, but there are times when it's better to have an experienced person assist or even walk him thru the process.

The last 3 uppers I've helped build, every one of them threw a curveball at some point in the process.

I want to publicly thank bradmacc82 for his help in assembling my 50 wulf upper today. Your the man bro!

Feb 28, 2013

Mine wasn't, but I decided to have Scott's Gunsmithing align the gas and pin it. Drilling on a gun scares me.

Only issue I had was having to pound the front sight on with a hammer and a block of wood. I was starting to think that wasn't gonna go on.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I want to publicly thank bradmacc82 for his help in assembling my 50 wulf upper today. Your the man bro!

No problem, I always enjoy contributing to the delinquency of others. ;)

It's nice to also be able to test-fire it before you go on your way, get some confidence in knowing it's going to run right.

Mine wasn't, but I decided to have Scott's Gunsmithing align the gas and pin it. Drilling on a gun scares me.

Only issue I had was having to pound the front sight on with a hammer and a block of wood. I was starting to think that wasn't gonna go on.

Drilling without a jig and drill-press is definitely something that makes people hesitant, and rightly so.

Last couple of uppers, the gas blocks have been real snug on the seat, so I know how you feel. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    FWIW, still a low-intermediate knowledge level AR individual here. I have come to one conclusion - a free float is worth the effort. The accuracy and consistency is worth it. It doesn't have to be high dollar, good will work.

I am in this boat too. All my rails (4) are free float. And delta ring or drop ins can be a bee-otch to deal with if you don't have the removal tool. My 2%

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    I see two basic styles. The one held in place by a spring loaded delta ring and the free float design. Am I correct so far?

As the grip and stock on the new lower are FDE, I'd like the handguard to match. It's important that the drapes match the carpet.

What's the easiest way to do this? As there are very few uppers sold with FDE handguards, I'm thinking I need to buy the completed upper I want and have it cerakoted.

There is one (that I'm aware of) 2-piece drop in free float rail...Daniel Defense Omega. Personally, the only reason I would buy one would be to put on a rifle that I'm issued and not allowed to permanently modified (LEO/MIL). If you're going to buy a complete upper, I would go with a traditional free float hand guard.

Don't narrow down your choices to handguards that come in FDE. Find one you like, and if it comes in FDE, great. If not, you can always leave it black and cover it with FDE rail panels. You're more likely to get all your FDE to match that way too. And if the FDE parts are from different manufacturers (and thus, probably different shades of FDE), the variance is less noticeable. If you go with a FDE rail that's made by a different company than your grip and stock, the color difference can be pretty obvious. Some people don't care, but if you're anal like me, you'll want it to match. Cerakoting is an option (but can get expensive depending on how much of the rifle you do). You can also rattle can it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom