• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bshedwick

Apr 3, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I am starting my first HBAR build. I had contemplated buying a whole rifle, but I figured I'd save some money buying the exact components I wanted instead of buying them after the fact.

I already have an M&P 15-22 with magpul furniture in it and I think I want to build the big brother in a mid range AR

I've already got a Spikes forged stripped lower.

Hope to learn even more about how these great rifles all fit together.

Learning a lot of great parts option here on MD shooters!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Go for it, but if you get the option of having a 'smith or someone with a few builds under their belt walk you thru - take the offer.

(Just keep the conversation and distractions to a minimum, even experienced people can get distracted too. ;) )

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Spending some time in the "Youtube Gunsmithing School" helps as well.:)

It does, but also being able to ask questions and get immediate answers doesn't hurt either. Can only get so much info from a video.

I don't think I even bothered to ask Chad any questions, he explained what he was doing and WHY he was doing something, before I could even ask.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Go to AR15.com. You will be able to find all of your answers there.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am starting my first HBAR build. I had contemplated buying a whole rifle, but I figured I'd save some money buying the exact components I wanted instead of buying them after the fact.

I already have an M&P 15-22 with magpul furniture in it and I think I want to build the big brother in a mid range AR

I've already got a Spikes forged stripped lower.

Hope to learn even more about how these great rifles all fit together.

Learning a lot of great parts option here on MD shooters!

Brownells has a good series of how to videos on line that could shed a lot of light on the subject. I'd take a peak.

bshedwick

Apr 3, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Can't decide if I want one of the Wilson Combat 16 inch barrels or the 18 inch barrel. I'm leaning towards the 18 inch, and then in the future getting a pinned and welded 14.5 inch upper

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    Can't decide if I want one of the Wilson Combat 16 inch barrels or the 18 inch barrel. I'm leaning towards the 18 inch, and then in the future getting a pinned and welded 14.5 inch upper

FWIW, I would pay attention to Wilson Combat's barrel profile names (unfortunately the name is what matters) before you buy. Not sure which model you're looking at, but most of them have names like "Recon tactical," "super sniper," "SPR" etc. As far as the physical dimensions of these barrels, I know they're heavy, you know they're heavy, but if the manufacturer doesn't call them heavy, MSP doesn't either. I'm in the process of building an SPR/3-gun style rifle and spent a lot of time researching barrels. It got pretty frustrating finding barrels that I liked, and that were obviously heavy profile, but were named something more "tactical" by the manufacturer. Some people here will tell you that as long as the barrel is at least .750" throughout, not necked down under the handguard, no M203 cut, then it's GTG . Maybe they're right, but what I gathered from MSP is that the manufacturer must describe the barrel as "heavy" or "HBAR" specifically. I ended up buying a WOA 18" barrel from Engage. It's stamped "HB", which isn't required but it's nice to have on there.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I was planning on buying from MD gun dealer so I was figuring that anything that could be sold would be MD legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of us have pre 10/13 lowers. Barrel profile makes no difference. They sell all kinds. However if they say it is HBAR, I would believe them. It is a good idea to buy local.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    I was planning on buying from MD gun dealer so I was figuring that anything that could be sold would be MD legal.

I don't think any dealer would intentionally lead you astray, just keep in mind that there are no barrels that, by themselves, are illegal to buy/sell in MD. You can buy a 10" barrel from a dealer and walk out the door. If you go home and put that barrel on a rifle (with a stock) without getting a tax stamp, it's on you. Along the same lines, a dealer could stock a pencil profile barrel and sell it to you legally...what you do with that barrel determines if you've broken a law. It's not their responsibility to interrogate you as to whether the barrel is going on a pre-2013 lower or not. Again, I'm not saying that any dealer would intentionally give you bad info or lead you into committing a crime. I guess it's just the skeptic in me that thinks this way...just make sure you do your due diligence.

bshedwick

Apr 3, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I don't think any dealer would intentionally lead you astray, just keep in mind that there are no barrels that, by themselves, are illegal to buy/sell in MD. You can buy a 10" barrel from a dealer and walk out the door. If you go home and put that barrel on a rifle (with a stock) without getting a tax stamp, it's on you. Along the same lines, a dealer could stock a pencil profile barrel and sell it to you legally...what you do with that barrel determines if you've broken a law. It's not their responsibility to interrogate you as to whether the barrel is going on a pre-2013 lower or not. Again, I'm not saying that any dealer would intentionally give you bad info or lead you into committing a crime. I guess it's just the skeptic in me that thinks this way...just make sure you do your due diligence.

Will be doing my due diligence for sure. I want to make sure that I'm complying with Md law while building the rifle

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom