• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    The new ones are very very accurate. But to be fair, the old ones were pretty accurate, they just tended to string higher and higher as you shot, ending up about 3 inches high after the barrel heated all the way up at 100 yards.

That was the joke, that that was the reason the DOC got them, so they could take the same point of aim on a fleeing prisoner and the gun would automatically adjust up for windage as they shot.

I'm a HUGE fan of the newer mini-14s, but then I'm probably a bigger fan of the old ones.

Bottom line is this: the downside to the newer minis is that they tightened the tolerances and changed a few things in the mag well so that many aftermarket magazines will not work correctly. Ruger has always been known for jealously guarding their ability to have their factory mags work flawlessly in their platforms, while others are hit or miss.

The only mag that works in all mini-14s other than the factory mags is the second generation of the second generation of tapco mags, so basically version 2.5 of the tapco mini-14 mags. They stiffened the polymer and reinforced the front lug with steel, they work great in all my minis, although every once in awhile you gotta forcefully seat them. If you're racking it in the way you should, you will never notice the difference, if you are a little ginger about it you will hit a slight bit of resistance until you either sand down the cubic micrometer of polymer rubbing against the magwell or use the mags enough to break them in. Tapco was really good to me, even after all the stupid crap of SB281 I had a 30 round magazine that broke of the gen 1 tapco mini mags. I told them this, since they have a 100% no questions asked guaruntee. They said they couldn't send me a new magazine without breaking the law, HOWEVER, if I could send them the broken body of the magazine, they would replace it with the body of a gen 2.5 mag, which they did since I guess that does not constitute sending you a magazine, merely the parts to repair you old one.

Good company, Tapco. Their polymer engineers are excellent.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    I have a couple of the new Mini-14s, both 5.56. I have had many in the past. Both were bought at local Walmart (Dunkirk Walmart has one in stock right now for a very good price). I do remove the wood stock, and install the overmolded Hogue stocks, purchased from Amazon. Love the guns, work great, only downfall is that the only quality magazines for them are from Ruger and they are expensive. Don't bother with the aftermarket mags, none have been reliable for me. I wish MagPul would get into the market for the Mini and build 30 rounders for it.
    I've been shooting 20 and 30 rd Tapco Gen II mags in my mini-14 and haven't had a problem. Clean the mags, spray some Pistol Pro Mag Slick in them and shoot Tulammo Polyformance. I've put a couple thousand rounds down range without a single problem. Of course I'm the owner of Rick3Bears Pro Firearms Care and have done a factory strip and mil-tec relube.:innocent0:innocent0 I highly recommend myself.

Last edited:

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    as in mili-tec1? Or do you mean like just mil-spec?

I use an incredibly small amount of mil-comm t25 grease on the raceway, bolt wear areas and camming surfaces and now all the metal is conditioned with spherical teflon matrices in the pores of the metal. Feels like robar, I love it.

Works great on AKs too, condition the under side of your bolt carrier and the face of your hammer and you'll shit a brick how smooth it gets.

it helps to heat the metal with a heat gun or blow dryer before applying the Mil-comm, but shit I guess you already know that

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    as in mili-tec1? Or do you mean like just mil-spec?

I use an incredibly small amount of mil-comm t25 grease on the raceway, bolt wear areas and camming surfaces and now all the metal is conditioned with spherical teflon matrices in the pores of the metal. Feels like robar, I love it.

Works great on AKs too, condition the under side of your bolt carrier and the face of your hammer and you'll shit a brick how smooth it gets.

it helps to heat the metal with a heat gun or blow dryer before applying the Mil-comm, but shit I guess you already know that

Miltec1 sucks the fat one. I switched over to FireClean.

wolf18

Mar 11, 2015
    Western md
    thanks now just to find a cheap tapco stock for it. ALso they did remove scopes as copycat features right? SO i can have the pistol grip and scope on right?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    thanks now just to find a cheap tapco stock for it. ALso they did remove scopes as copycat features right? SO i can have the pistol grip and scope on right?

Scopes are not copycat features, neither is a pistol grip nor vertical foregrip in a rifle.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    I like my Mini-14 581 Ranch Rifle. I second the Tapco G2 Magazines with the steel reinforcement where the mag engages. Other than that magazine, I only reccomend the factory steel mags. I like Ruger's 20-rounders the best. They look the best sticking out of the gun. For 30 rounders, I got some Tapco G2 mags. The factory 30 rounders are even more expensive, so if you want 30s get the Tapco.

Just a couple suggestions. Check out Great West Gunsmithing. While accuracy has been improved out of the box with Ruger's new models, a trigger job is a must IMO. I would also change the gas port bushing. The rifle is over gassed from the factory and throws your brass 50 feet away. While also battering your action and gas block, which BTW is attached to the barrel, thereby inducing vibration which affects accuracy. From the factory, the gas port bushing is .080", I would go down to .050" or maybe .060" if you want reliability with steel cased ammo, which I don't reccomend. Some guns you need to upgrade the Hammer Spring with a stiffer one to shoot steel cased as well. I'm only going to shoot brass cased, so I went with a .050" bushing. Also torquing the gas block evenly (better than the factory did) when you reinstall will also help accuracy. Another thing I did was install a Wilson Combat 1911 Buffer on the rear only. Some people put another one on the front, but it usually causes problems. It can melt there or prevent the bolt and gas system from locking fully. The gas bushing will lessen the battering there. I added one to the back, you don't have to, mainly is more important if you add optics. But, it may help reduce the brass throwing problem. The 1911 buffers are thinner than the dedicated Mini 14 buffers and cause less issues as a result. The thicker buffers might causes failures to feed or eject or stovepipes. The 1911 buffers are cheap and come in packs of 5-6. So, I put one on anyhow to reduce wear and tear. Don't reccomend buffers on AKs though.

I'm gonna see how these upgrades work and if I want more accuracy, I might get a accu-strut. Out of the box, I didn't measure it or put it on paper, but accuracy wasn't bad. Not like what people talk about the old ones. I accumulated all this information from extensive research on the net and talking to the nice gentleman at Great West Gun smithing, who is one of the only two Ruger factory certified armorers in the country. He reccomends bedding the action for maximum accuracy over the struts, which probably does work. But, I'm just not a fan of bedding an rifle. I prefer free floating which is just personal opinion. Just my .02.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    I love the look of semi automatics in wood, i.e. my Ruger 10/22 and the M1. An IP has a couple of these up for sale but I'm very worried about their bad reputation. Good to see some positive comments in here.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Do you think the newer redesigned Ruger Mini 14 (with what appears to have a heavier barrel under the handguard) is superior to the older models of Mini 14?

In general what do you think of these rifles (accuracy, reliability, ruggedness, ease of maintenance)?

Yes, I had older and now have a newer. Both start out similar but the accuracy falls off in older ones when barrel starts to get warm. My observation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom