• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which date could you attend the build party?

• Total voters

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have the reciever ready to go. If i can get a kit by then id love to attend. Any more of these planned for the fall by any chance?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Steve(stu929), I've got some of the AK63D kits from Century that they were selling late last year if that floats your boat. I need to respond to your email about the lights anyway so can put details in that.

I have 47 and 74 go/no-go gauges but not many other specific tools to add to the spreadsheet that are light enough to get into the truck. I'll grab my punches, drill, and little things but I'll sign up for some drinks and food.

Tim, did I donate some 1/4" steel rods to align the rails when welding last time? (I'm the one that got screwed at a prior party using a drill that wasn't the right size for spacing.) I know I brought them last time but can't remember if I left them. I could cut off another pair to donate if they got lost.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Steve(stu929), I've got some of the AK63D kits from Century that they were selling late last year if that floats your boat. I need to respond to your email about the lights anyway so can put details in that.

I have 47 and 74 go/no-go gauges but not many other specific tools to add to the spreadsheet that are light enough to get into the truck. I'll grab my punches, drill, and little things but I'll sign up for some drinks and food.

Tim, did I donate some 1/4" steel rods to align the rails when welding last time? (I'm the one that got screwed at a prior party using a drill that wasn't the right size for spacing.) I know I brought them last time but can't remember if I left them. I could cut off another pair to donate if they got lost.

Yes I still have those 1/4" rods and they have been put to good use while installing rails! They'll be there at the build party.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Email me and we can figure it out. I was looking at some kits with the barrel installed but ive got to scrape together some funds first.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Tim, did I donate some 1/4" steel rods to align the rails when welding last time? I could cut off another pair to donate if they got lost.

could you cut me off a pair ? there was another guy at SRDs party that grabbed a 1/4 " mason bit, that didn't work :facepalm:

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Is anybody bringing a .314 reamer for oversize pin? I bought a .302 thinking that was correct:sad20: got that pin stuck twice, f ed up a reg. pin to get it out. I used it before and barely got that one in. I am pretty stupid at times:sad20:

hungryjoseph

Apr 23, 2013
    Is anybody bringing a .314 reamer for oversize pin? I bought a .302 thinking that was correct:sad20: got that pin stuck twice, f ed up a reg. pin to get it out. I used it before and barely got that one in. I am pretty stupid at times:sad20:

I think I have one, will let you know when I go back to the garage. I bought a few last time

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Every one bring safety glasses. A small flashlight wouldn't be a bad idea either. I have never brought one myself and have regretted it. Bench vices are always in demand( bring one if you can)

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Almost finished an AMD Pistol kit I got from AK-Builders that was already head spaced. While reinstalling the barrel and headspacing we noticed the barrel pin hole is not perfectly round and the barrel will not flush out with the trunnion hole. The ledge at the bottoms of the hole is present on both sides of the trunnion and the barrel is clocked perfectly. I'm thinking this will require an oversized barrel pin, but I'm not sure why this would be the case since I paid for a kit that was already headspaced from a reputable company. I ordered a .302 pin just in case.

hungryjoseph

Apr 23, 2013
    looks like you just need to ream it. check to make sure the trunnion hole isn't oversized, also check headspace.

edit:

actually, looking at it again, it looks like its egged on one side... the trunnion hole is closer to the bore on the ejection side.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    looks like you just need to ream it. check to make sure the trunnion hole isn't oversized, also check headspace.

edit:

actually, looking at it again, it looks like its egged on one side... the trunnion hole is closer to the bore on the ejection side.

Your correct the holes are a little egged but all is good, I just put the barrel pin in and set it with a hammer. Checked headspace and it's perfect.

hungryjoseph

Apr 23, 2013
    Your correct the holes are a little egged but all is good, I just put the barrel pin in and set it with a hammer. Checked headspace and it's perfect.

If I were you, I'd send it back to ak-builder and have them replace it. Although, the forward and rear part of the trunnion hole seems flush with the barrel so there shouldn't be any movement...

Arms of America massively screwed up headspace on one ak63d kit and egged the trunnion hole on another ak63d kit I ordered. They sent out replacements for both after they paid for my shipping back to them. We went through this twice before I got good kits.

edit:

nevermind, it's late and I'm being dumb. I just noticed you riveted the trunnion in, probably leading to your decision to not send it in.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Just got word a job I'm working got pushed back a week. I'm not going to make it, sorry I was really looking forward to this. Hopefully I'll be able to get up with you all another time!

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Do we need any chemicals for parking? I will be bringing a few cans of brake Klean and WD-40.

Attachments

• AK Build Party 4 042515 V1.xls
      254 KB · Views: 102

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom