• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamasung

Feb 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    ...what would you buy?

Been out of the game for a while and trying to gather some opinions from those that know. My primary goal is, obviously, noise reduction, but I'd also like a low maintenance, dry suppressor, if possible. I realize noise reduction on a 40 probably won't be stellar, but it's my primary home defense arm and I refuse to go deaf protecting my family from a potential lowlife invading my home. I'm familiar with the big boys offerings (AAC, AWC, Gemtech, YHM) but was hoping the true aficionados here could weigh in with your experiences and maybe suggest manufacturers that a noob wouldn't know.

I do own an AWC Amphibian, so I'm not completely ignorant, but it is 18 years old so it's not exactly state of the art (though I'm planning on upgrading soon).

Appreciate any input!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Having a suppressor on a home defense gun makes little sense. I would be less worried about my hearing (on the small chance you need to use it for self defense) and more worried about ending the threat. Chances are it would only be a couple of shots anyway. Also a suppressor would be rather cumbersome in a self defense situation.

blodter

Aug 28, 2013
    Hagerstown, MD
    but it is 18 years old so it's not exactly state of the art (though I'm planning on upgrading soon).

Just remember that 1911s are over 100 years old, and still in use!

Having a suppressor on a home defense gun makes little sense. I would be less worried about my hearing (on the small chance you need to use it for self defense) and more worried about ending the threat. Chances are it would only be a couple of shots anyway. Also a suppressor would be rather cumbersome in a self defense situation.

I disagree. I believe it is imperative to ensure that one's senses are at their peak - especially hearing and sight - during any moment where home defense is necessary. You don't know how many invaders there are, or their locations.

With a suppressed firearm, you could neutralize an invader without compromising your hearing, and in a case that there could be multiple invaders are lurking about, this would be vital. Not only that, but it would be much more difficult for an invader to pinpoint your location. Don't assume that all invaders would run after hearing gunshots, as drugs or mental instability could be involved.

I've never been in any situation that has required home or self defense, nor have I dealt with anyone that has - this is just my opinion.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    ...what would you buy?

Been out of the game for a while and trying to gather some opinions from those that know. My primary goal is, obviously, noise reduction, but I'd also like a low maintenance, dry suppressor, if possible. I realize noise reduction on a 40 probably won't be stellar, but it's my primary home defense arm and I refuse to go deaf protecting my family from a potential lowlife invading my home. I'm familiar with the big boys offerings (AAC, AWC, Gemtech, YHM) but was hoping the true aficionados here could weigh in with your experiences and maybe suggest manufacturers that a noob wouldn't know.

I do own an AWC Amphibian, so I'm not completely ignorant, but it is 18 years old so it's not exactly state of the art (though I'm planning on upgrading soon).

Appreciate any input!

What host/pistol do you plan on using with your 40 cal suppressor? Having a well matched pistol and suppressor combination is just as important as each individual part, especially for specific tasks such as home defense.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I use my AAC Tirant .45 on the Glock 22. It works fine. You just need to find a barrel that threads to match your pistons. Storm Lake did a G22 barrel for me in one of the standard .45ACP threads, .578 x 28. That combo is not listed on their site, but they will make it upon request.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

I wholeheartedly disagree. Your hearing IS important. What if there are other threats in the home but you cant hear then? Communicating with family during/after it all happens? A suppressor on a home defense handgun is OPTIMAL.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Having a suppressor on a home defense gun makes little sense.

A suppressor or electronic ear protection is highly advantageous in my view.
    A suppressor has the advantage of not only protecting the shooters hearing but also protecting the hearing of loved ones in the vicinity. You also don't need to remember to put them on and turn them on.

To the OP. Check out Silencerco. Both the Octane and the Osprey are highly reviewed.
    http://www.silencerco.com/

You can get the suppressor in 45cal and swap out pistons to use on different threads/calibers.

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    From a person that has live fired in close quarters like a house and one round without hearing protection... it can be pretty disorienting how loud it is and the ear ringing was pretty bad following. I keep a pair of electronic ear can's on top of pistol safe just in case.

Yamasung

Feb 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Thanks, all, for the input. Clearly I have already made my decision on the use of a suppressor on my HD gun (a Sig P229, by the way) for the same reasons many of you have proffered. I have discharged a firearm in the home without ear protection and it was deafening and would make it much more difficult keeping your wits about you.

I keep hearing/reading AAC TiRant or SilencerCo Osprey for 40 or 45. I'm leaning towards the Osprey. Course, the hardest part might be finding an extended, threaded barrel in 40 for my P229.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Thanks, all, for the input. Clearly I have already made my decision on the use of a suppressor on my HD gun (a Sig P229, by the way) for the same reasons many of you have proffered. I have discharged a firearm in the home without ear protection and it was deafening and would make it much more difficult keeping your wits about you.

I keep hearing/reading AAC TiRant or SilencerCo Osprey for 40 or 45. I'm leaning towards the Osprey. Course, the hardest part might be finding an extended, threaded barrel in 40 for my P229.

I dont think itll be too difficult. Just a quick search on my phone and I found this. http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/cg...ragon+Sig+Sauer+Threaded+and+Extended+Barrels

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Anybody have experience with the above outfit? What's quality like?

I was just throwing out an example. There should be hopefully others. Good luck with the search. Been thinking about a suppressor as well for my 40 cal. Thought its a m&p so storm lake makes some i can choose from.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom