• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Have been toying with the idea of picking up another target rifle lately, wanted an AR as I really wanted to practice off hand shooting with iron sights, my Garands and M14 are starting to get to me recoil wise and weight,getting old sucks.
    Saw they Lou at Discount Shooters had just got in some Colt Match Target 6601 AR's so went down to take a look, nicely finished and balanced and the price was right.
    Got it out to the range today and it performed flawlessly with my 69 grain hand loads.After sighting in managed 1 large group in the center of the target from a rest with the iron sights at 100 yards. If my old eyes could see the front sight sharply it would have been half that, might be time for glasses.
    If there is one negative with the rifle it's the trigger, not to heavy but it is real gritty, will take it down and polish it up but may end up replacing it with a Rock River or Geissele.
    Next step is to start shooting some off hand and see if I can get back to where I was 40 years ago, would't that be great :lol2:

Attachments

• IMG_2672.jpg
      IMG_2672.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 421
    • IMG_2675.jpg
      IMG_2675.jpg
      68.6 KB · Views: 415
    • IMG_2676.jpg
      IMG_2676.jpg
      35.5 KB · Views: 456
    • IMG_2679.jpg
      IMG_2679.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 369
    • IMG_2669.jpg
      IMG_2669.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 417
    Last edited:

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    I took mine out to the range this past weekend to test some various off the shelf match loads. Since I don't currently reload I wanted to see what commercial ammo worked best with the rifle.

i-CJMDdNV-L.jpg

On my rifle the ones that performed the best were the Wolf 75 gr match and the Hornady 75 gr. The Wolf was one of the cheaper boxes so I will be testing this load more extensively to see if it stays consistent.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Have been toying with the idea of picking up another target rifle lately, wanted an AR as I really wanted to practice off hand shooting with iron sights, my Garands and M14 are starting to get to me recoil wise and weight,getting old sucks.
    Saw they Lou at Discount Shooters had just got in some Colt Match Target 6601 AR's so went down to take a look, nicely finished and balanced and the price was right.
    Got it out to the range today and it performed flawlessly with my 69 grain hand loads.After sighting in managed 1 large group in the center of the target from a rest with the iron sights at 100 yards. If my old eyes could see the front sight sharply it would have been half that, might be time for glasses.
    If there is one negative with the rifle it's the trigger, not to heavy but it is real gritty, will take it down and polish it up but may end up replacing it with a Rock River or Geissele.
    Next step is to start shooting some off hand and see if I can get back to where I was 40 years ago, would't that be great :lol2:

Ya' need to come right one minute.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Just noticed............
    The first pic, with the rifle nestled into the tree - the magazine looks like it is inserted upside down.

How well does it shoot like that??????? :innocent0

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    image.jpg
    Slightly older version with large pivot pin, .223 stamped upper and "USMC" marked rear sight. :D

Congrats on yer new shootin' iron.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Y'all need to git them barrels threaded. :innocent0

This. And some proper 30-round magazines. Augie, did you get the new trigger yet?

Anyone who knows, will tell you that the addition of any threaded part... to the end of a Target Match rifle barrel will negatively effect accuracy. So, thank you but, no.

I have others that are threaded... But they are not "Target Match". And I also have a sufficient supply of "normal capacity" magazines. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom