• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firestorm89

Dec 30, 2012
    When I picked up my gun today, the salesman said you can't buy another for 30 days... I asked about the collectors permit, he said it takes 6-8months... If that is true..WHY would it take so long?????????

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    It may take that long now b/c of all the transfer requests that MSP is handling. When I did mine, it came back in about a month.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Do you recommend including a C&R FFL with the collector's permit application? I was thinking it would speed the process up?

Edit: I stapled my C&R to the application and received my approval letter less than 1 month later. Also, they didn't give my any trouble for having my wife (same last name) notarize the application.

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Do you recommend including a C&R FFL with the collector's permit application? I was thinking it would speed the process up?

md doesnt recognize c&r.. only feds does.. it doesnt make you special.. lol

same for designated collector except for the 30 day wait.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Mine took 2 weeks back in Oct Nov ... "salesman" ... not expert at anything but taking your money ...

You did good to question what you were told!

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It not actually a permit, it's just a letter that says you are a Designated Collector.

Won't speed anything up. It can only add confusion. Federal C&R is totally seperate and entirely different from State D.C. Status. Just send them the form they ask for. It's just a bureaucratic process that exempts you from the "one gun a month" rule. That's all it is and that's all it does.

a_randy_sewer

Prius-driving-gun-owner
    Nov 18, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    When I picked up my gun today, the salesman said you can't buy another for 30 days... I asked about the collectors permit, he said it takes 6-8months... If that is true..WHY would it take so long?????????

Mailed mine off on 1/3, received approval today for MD Designated Collector's License.

Go ahead and mail it out, I only think mine took that long because my first MD regulated purchase hadn't hit the books yet.

peppercorn

Nov 28, 2012
    Timonium
    Mailed mine off on 1/3, received approval today for MD Designated Collector's License.

Go ahead and mail it out, I only think mine took that long because my first MD regulated purchase hadn't hit the books yet.

I sent my out that week also, hopefully I'll hear something this week.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!

Your first purchase had nothing to do with it. At one time the MSP said you had to buy at least one or two regulated firearms to get designated as a collector. In fact, they made that up, it's never been a requirement.

mouzzer

Nov 10, 2012
    Calvert
    I just recently did mine in the month of December. Took 30 Days. Just fill out your info, notorize, and send it in.

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    It not actually a permit, it's just a letter that says you are a Designated Collector.

Won't speed anything up. It can only add confusion. Federal C&R is totally seperate and entirely different from State D.C. Status. Just send them the form they ask for. It's just a bureaucratic process that exempts you from the "one gun a month" rule. That's all it is and that's all it does.

I thought it also exempts you from the requirement that you can only transport to a range or repair facility? Being a MD Designated Collector now allows you to show your "collection" almost anywhere.

Mine took 2 weeks back in October.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I thought it also exempts you from the requirement that you can only transport to a range or repair facility? Being a MD Designated Collector now allows you to show your "collection" almost anywhere.

Mine took 2 weeks back in October.

This has been discussed in multiple threads.

The Maryland Designated Collector is not a permit. It is a designation by the MSP. One applies to the MSP for it, it is a free application only requiring it to be notorized. The Designation is just that--a Designation that the applicant has been approved by the MSP to be a collector of firearms and may then purchase more than 1 gun/month. It only exempts you from the 1 gun/month purchase limit in Maryland. It DOES however, serve as evidence to show the cop that stopped you with multiple guns in your car that you are a collector so that if you tell him that you are transporting them to 'show your collection', you can support your claim (Yes, I know we shouldn't have to do that, but this is Maryland). My C & R license would perform the same function if I were to be stopped by LE--support my claim that I'm transporting my collection to show.

Dave21042

Feb 17, 2012
    Ellicott City, MD
    I mailed mine in 12/20 and recieved the letter back on 1/5. Not long at all. I purchased a new gun on 12/28 and got the "not disapproved" call from LGS until 1/15.

thanatron

MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2012
    I received mine back in September. Took 18 days from filling out the form and receiving my letter in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom