• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Well, the bid just went up to $80 (I've been outbid).

Surprisingly, I'm conflicted.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Skooter had one at Delta that one day....thought it was going to blow up in his hand.
    And what gave you that impression? I've shot probably dozens of these little pistols and I've never seen one blow up! I do have a Davis P-32 that's in like-new condition and all it does is jam. The guns are actually heavy little things, usually much heavier than the Berettas.

DAVIS_380_2.jpg

This Davis is nice and shiny, but this is the only box of
    ammo I bought for it and it still has most of the rounds
    left. It jammed all the time.

I've got a little Jennings J-22 that's very reliable. I'd bet my life on it. But once it's had about four magazines through it, it begins jamming big time. If I take it apart and clean it with a dry toothbrush, it becomes reliable again, at leas for another few magazines full.

Jennings.jpg

Jennings J-22

The tiny Berettas are wonderful, but anyone with a Tomcat should consider throwing it in the nearest lake. When the frames in those things crack (and they can go anytime), it just stops working. If I had to bet my life on a Raven/Jennings or a Beretta Tomcat, I'd go with the former any day of the week.

BerettaJuniors.jpg

These Berettas are incredibly reliable, but
    the .22LR version requires the right ammo,
    which is CCI or Stingers.

MickeyMouse.jpg

This is a real mouse gun!

Sterling22LR.jpg

This Sterling is a piece of garbage. I bought about
    eight of these and none of them worked.

Beretta70S_2.jpg

This hard-chromed Beretta 70S is one of the best .22LRs
    I own. It's sadly no longer available.

Wather_1.jpg

Walther .22LR, an expensive pocket gun.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    This is the brand that the antis absolutely hate. Saying Jennings/Bryco/Jimenez to them is like asking Count Dracula how much he likes tanning beds. The antis have sued the crap out of them over the years. For that reason alone, I would buy a few if I could. I might not ever shoot them, but just out of spite I would buy some.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Pass pass you can get a really awesome Beretta Tomcat in 32ACP for $400 total good gun, accurate, low recoil, reliable................

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I think Bad, Bad Leroy Brown had one.

"He got a .32 gun in his pocket for fun
    He got a razor in his shoe..." :D

I had a Sterling .22 in a previous life, it jammed bad until I filled a small bucket with diluted valve grinding compound, held it under and just worked the action until things got smooth. Worked great after that, then I sold it; wish I hadn't. Even so, it wasn't worth all the effort.

An' Ah'm gwin hurt some one dey keep talkin' bout dat damn Remminton... ain't no way Ah'm gwin let you all do dat agin... :rant2:

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I had a chance to shoot and examine a Pheonix hp 22. I believe Pheonix also manufactures the Raven. I can't speak about the Raven but the HP22 was fun to shoot and reasonably accurate but the quality of material left a lot to be desired. The pistol showed excessive wear in areas where it was obvious that the metal used was too soft. This caused quite a few jams. Fun to shoot-Yes. Reliable and good quality-No. I would never consider buying one. Just my opinion.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I will not sit here and have my Bryco .32ACP besmirched by members of this forum! No, sir, I'm going to sit over here while it's sullied and besmirched by members of this forum!

This fine personal defense piece has only been shot a few times on account of it will only fire once or twice before jammi...er... malfuctioning. Fortunately, this does not preclude it from being a fine defense piece. This is because it can be placed in a large sock and swung in a proximity to an assailant's face.

This will result in what's known in defense circles as a “one shot stop,” because if you don't stop the assailant with one shot, they will stop you. The best way to use the one-shot stop method is to load the magazine, rack one round into the chamber, place this fine firearm in a heavy sock and tie a knot in it. When you are assailed, remove the sock, fire one shot through the sock, then, when it fails to feed a new round into the chamber, swing the aforementioned sock in a wide arc in the proximity of the assailant's face.

This fine Beyco firearm was given to me many years ago by the owner of a Virginia Chinese restaurant who complained that it jammed. I took it, but when nothing I tried worked, I tried to bring it back to him. Sadly, just about two weeks after I received it, the restaurant had, with no advance warning, closed! I tried several means to contact the owner, including leaving a message on his phone (which was disconnected a short time later), but to no avail.

Bryco .32ACP

The owner gave me an-almost full box of ammo for the gun. I might be able to get it to work now, but at the time I just didn't want to spend the time fooling with it. The gun might be made to work if I had more ammo to run through it. As it is, it seems tight and everything is nickel-plated. Alao, .32 ammo is horribly expensive!

Any ideas on how to get the gun to function? I may try Militec-1 dry lubricant, as Break-Free seems to be a bit sticky.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Both my P25 and MP25 are accurate and reliable....so no idea what the problems yall have are. I am able to shoot the P25 in particular with 2" groups at 10 yards, which for a pistol of this style is far more accurate than it has any right to be. I have an entire collection of Ring Of Fire guns, now...lol! Almost 20 of em, in fact.

351280238_202531736015909_5585961710410738252_n.jpg

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    So Cold Steel , what is the nature of your constant malfunction ?
    Failure to feed for the most part. I think I could get it to work with enough time and effort. Ammo is expensive, though. The nickel finish looks like it was put on with a rake. Nice looking piece. Just doesn't work.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Failure to feed for the most part. I think I could get it to work with enough time and effort. Ammo is expensive, though. The nickel finish looks like it was put on with a rake. Nice looking piece. Just doesn't work.

Magazine spring is probably shot, and old recoil springs are always a problem in these. My Davis .32 is perfectly reliable, too....and accurate! These guns all eventually eat themselves too tight with headspace from the slamming of the bolt face...zamac will do that. A new slide will fix that.

Last edited:

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Magazine spring is probably shot, and old recoil springs are always a problem in these. My Davis .32 is perfectly reliable, too....and accurate!
    Hmmm. I'm going to polish the ramp in mine and if I can find a place to shoot, I'll try to put a few more rounds thru it. It seems awfully tight compared to my old Jennings J-22 and my old Raven.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    First things first, try a new firing pin spring and recoil spring....that fixes most of them with feeding issues. If you're getting stuck cases, check the extractor/extractor spring for tension. My Davis 32 (top row, center) shoots really well (2" or so groups) at least out to 10 yards.

This is my current Ring Of Fire collection; and I can say that all but 1 of these work at least semi reliably. The Sedco (row 2, center), is a total crapshoot if it will feed or not. I've tried new springs, extractors, everything...it just doesn't care. The slide is likely just beaten in from use and the headspace is gone in it.

352330200_820245502660487_7012898798031894783_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom