• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I don't think you're an idiot.....unless you're paying $500 for the Raven.

I, myself got caught up buying a handgun, and while the gun is not a crap gun, it's just not the gun for me.

It happens.

sell/trade it!! its a hobby. if I don't like something I dump it. My wife tells me to do that to my g/f's when they get on my nerves.:D

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    I don't think you're an idiot.....unless you're paying $500 for the Raven.

I, myself got caught up buying a handgun, and while the gun is not a crap gun, it's just not the gun for me.

It happens.

I think my high bid is somewhere around $75 or so, so it's not going to be crushing is I can't, but I'd rather not pay that much again transferring it all over creation to find it a home.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Think of the Raven as an overregulated paperweight.
    Back in the decade I felt a need for a tiny hand gun, and only had 69.99 .Took it to range, and first pulled the trigger ... then pulled some more ...... then pulled really hard , still no bang. Looked to see if saftey was off, yup. Then expecting it really pulled and trigger broke at about 17 pounds.
    If figured for the first mag to basically check for reliability , and general feel and control, before benching for pure accuracy testing, and establishing POI. From 7yds, missed the entire paper with the whole mag. Humm . If I really concentrated on the sights, and carefully squeezed off really slow, I could keep a 6-8 in pattern at 7yds.
    At that point I vowed to not eat lunch until I saved enough for an AMC .380 .
    Actually the Jennings is much improved over a Raven. Much better trigger, more vizable sights, a saftey that was only normal poor, instead of laughably useless.
    Later bought a Bauer , which is an all stainless steel exact duplicate of a Baby Browning. Quality similar to Browning, and parts interchange. Capable of keeping a magazine in center chest, at 25yds. Whatever legitimate need there was at the time for a .25acp could be met by a Bauer or a Beretta ( then 950, predating the 21As).
    But about 10 seconds after the introduction of subcompact .32acp cheaper than a Secamp, every .25acp was rendered obsolete .

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Yeah, don't feel bad.. i just looked at my post and should clarify. I don't regret buying the pistol either. It taught me a lot, particularly about the price difference between .25 acp and .22 LR!!!! I didn't regret selling it because it was the only way for me to afford the .22 which I loved!

When I said "Good Luck with it" I meant getting it transferred into MD.. it wasn't sarcastic, but I see it may have read that way.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Back in the decade I felt a need for a tiny hand gun, and only had 69.99 .Took it to range, and first pulled the trigger ... then pulled some more ...... then pulled really hard , still no bang. Looked to see if saftey was off, yup. Then expecting it really pulled and trigger broke at about 17 pounds.
    If figured for the first mag to basically check for reliability , and general feel and control, before benching for pure accuracy testing, and establishing POI. From 7yds, missed the entire paper with the whole mag. Humm . If I really concentrated on the sights, and carefully squeezed off really slow, I could keep a 6-8 in pattern at 7yds.
    Actually the Jennings is much improved over a Raven. Much better trigger, more vizable sights, a saftey that was only normal poor, instead of laughably useless.
    Later bought a Bauer , which is an all stainless steel exact duplicate of a Baby Browning. Quality similar to Browning, and parts interchange. Capable of keeping a magazine in center chest, at 25yds. Whatever legitimate need there was at the time for a .25acp could be met by a Bauer or a Beretta ( then 950, predating the 21As).
    But about 10 seconds after the introduction of subcompact .32acp cheaper than a Secamp, every .25acp was rendered obsolete .

At the very least it sounds like it'll be an interesting range experience.

After I get it checked out by a gunsmith.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Yeah, don't feel bad.. i just looked at my post and should clarify. I don't regret buying the pistol either. It taught me a lot, particularly about the price difference between .25 acp and .22 LR!!!! I didn't regret selling it because it was the only way for me to afford the .22 which I loved!

When I said "Good Luck with it" I meant getting it transferred into MD.. it wasn't sarcastic, but I see it may have read that way.

Nope - I didn't take it as sarcastic at all.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    And not a bad looking little thing, either, when you consider it's probably about the size of a silver dollar pancake.

Mmmm..... pancakes...

I'm honestly not sure if I hope I win this auction....

invest in some negative karma by hoping you lose. that way you'll be in line for better luck when something less embarrassing comes along :):lol2:
    (doesn't it work that way?)

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co

The Raven was the epitome of the "Saturday Night Special." Back in the 80s, I got one for my mother, who was working nights downtown and getting harassed by a co-worker. Luckily, she never had to use it. It was never made for 7 yards, or anything for that matter beyond about 10 feet. the small stock is almost impossible to hold firmly for an adult male. Even my daughter (5'1" 100lbs) can't get a good grip on it. But, at close range, any firearm that will discharge reliably is effective. This one has never misfired, FTE'd, or stovepiped. I guess we were lucky and got the rare (good?) one.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    Nothing wrong with pocket guns. I'm going to pray my Erma .25 doesn't kill my bear paws next week.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    invest in some negative karma by hoping you lose. that way you'll be in line for better luck when something less embarrassing comes along :):lol2:
    (doesn't it work that way?)

No, whenever I do something like that I'm always wrong and get stuck with the least desirable outcome. Turns out I suck at reverse psychology.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    You'd have to provide more information.

Which state did you buy the gun in?

Did they just give you the gun or did they send it to an FFL?

What condition were the guns in?

If you have the gun in your possession, you're better off leaving it in a free state. There are so many transfer fees and papers here in Maryland that you can easily spend more than it's worth.

My experience with these guns is that they will do a good job in a pinch providing that they're clean and that you don't shoot them often. Some say that the barrels wear fairly quickly. I haven't found that to be the case. What I have found is that the lands and grooves aren't very deep. Thus, some people might think that they're wearing when they really aren't. That's just the way it came.

The Ravens, providing they're new, are guns that can be depended on. Don't over-lubricate. My Jennings J-22 is very reliable as long as it's clean. It'll go through four or five clips without a hiccup, then it becomes unreliable. If you have a toothbrush, you can give it a quick cleaning and it's good to go again. It also fires very fast. I keep mine in outstanding shape and have spare parts and spare magazines.

Jennings.jpg

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    You'd have to provide more information.

Which state did you buy the gun in?

Two responses:

1) I haven't even purchased the gun yet - I have the (currently) highest bid on it in an estate auction.

2) It's in Pennsylvania

Did they just give you the gun or did they send it to an FFL?

Neither (see above). If I win the auction, I expect that I will either pay to have it sent to an FFL, or I will drive to PA and transport it to the nearest FFL myself.

What condition were the guns in?

Not enough information is available, since the pictures provided don't yield enough. At first blush it appears to be in good shape, though, and the other guns in the estate's collection also appear to be in good condition.

Note: When I say 'good' I'm not using it in the collector's sense - I mean that I see neither rust nor scratches, nor outward evidence of any other issues.

If you have the gun in your possession, you're better off leaving it in a free state. There are so many transfer fees and papers here in Maryland that you can easily spend more than it's worth.

Thankfully, I can probably keep it at my Grandparent's house (they live in PA) if it comes to that. If nothing else, storing it there temporarily will give me time to work out a more cost-effective method of transferring it to MD.

My experience with these guns is that they will do a good job in a pinch providing that they're clean and that you don't shoot them often. Some say that the barrels wear fairly quickly. I haven't found that to be the case. What I have found is that the lands and grooves aren't very deep. Thus, some people might think that they're wearing when they really aren't. That's just the way it came.

The Ravens, providing they're new, are guns that can be depended on. Don't over-lubricate. My Jennings J-22 is very reliable as long as it's clean. It'll go through four or five clips without a hiccup, then it becomes unreliable. If you have a toothbrush, you can give it a quick cleaning and it's good to go again. It also fires very fast. I keep mine in outstanding shape and have spare parts and spare magazines.

Jennings.jpg

That's good to know - maybe this won't be a wash, even if I do win it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom