• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buddy

Aug 2, 2010
    PA
    Thigh rig holsters are legal under FNH rules. We run FNH rules at our local club.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Due to issues with shoulder rotation, it's harder for me to draw a full sized pistol from a standard belt holster. And while pro action shooters don't use them, Buscadero rigs are the norm for fast draw shooters :)
    That is only because they require them for safety reasons (with a crossdraw the barrel is always close to the body). All the world speed records for fast draw were set with cross draw holsters (in the era when you could use any type of holster) and is the reason most modern movie Westerns have gone away from the Mexican rigs is because they were not really as popular as old Westerns led us to believe. Much easier to draw a cross draw while on horseback also. The holster with the shortest travel to put the gun on target is always fastest. The Mexican rig used the extra time to thumb the hammer back on an SA revolver with the strong hand while with a crossdraw you can use the off hand to cock the hammer as you draw (not fanning it). What the modern quickdraw shooters do because they have to use the "gunfighter" rig is they lean back and use the thumb to cock the hammer back while it is still in the holster and then use that motion to pull the gun from the holster rearward and fire when it clears the holster. Not actually a very good and balanced stance for actually hitting anything but allows them to get the shot off very fast. They never have to bring the gun up to the waist even.
    The only reason they have added Mil-spec and tactical leg holsters in competition is because they established LEO and Military class shooter categories and many of them wanted to shoot their duty rigs. But like in IDPA you can only shoot that rig if you actually are LEO/Mil and you have to carry every duty item that you carry on duty also (Pepper spray, cuffs, light, baton, etc.). In 3-gun you don't or you would not have room on your belt for all your ammo. I can understand if you have a physical issue.

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    Buddy is one of my main guys at York Izaak Walton. I helped write the FNH rules and we have used them at our club for a couple years now. I don't know if any set of rules is perfect, but a written set of rules is way better than making them up as you go along.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    That is for sure. I wrote the initial rules for a motorcycle roadracing endurance series way back in the 70's and you can't imagine how many interpretations and modifications everyone wanted to put in.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That is for sure. I wrote the initial rules for a motorcycle roadracing endurance series way back in the 70's and you can't imagine how many interpretations and modifications everyone wanted to put in.

I still see that within the SASS community. Adding or subtracting categories, changing requirements, "fixing" broken rules, etc. Every year the Rules Committee reviews requests for changes and decides which ones go in or out or whatever. We finally got Frontier Cartridge Gun Fighter, which I hope to shoot this year. I need to find some shot and reload the brass shells I got.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I really, really want to try a competition this year. I bought a versamax last year with hopes of trying 3-gun but I just don't love shooting shotguns like AR's and pistols. 2-gun would be great or even pistol or AR only.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I really, really want to try a competition this year. I bought a versamax last year with hopes of trying 3-gun but I just don't love shooting shotguns like AR's and pistols. 2-gun would be great or even pistol or AR only.

Give them all a chance. While I'm not a big fan of shotguns, even though I own 7 of them :innocent0 , it's a lot of fun shooting lots of steel with one. Especially when you get the rhythm of shooting one down.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here

They do 2gun at PNTC. If you want to make the trip let me know. I'd be happy to shoot it with you. I believe it is the second Weekend of every month.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    They do 2gun at PNTC. If you want to make the trip let me know. I'd be happy to shoot it with you. I believe it is the second Weekend of every month.

Sounds great. Need to get the schedule and the family calendar in sync and I'll be in touch. Thanks!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Sounds great. Need to get the schedule and the family calendar in sync and I'll be in touch. Thanks!

similar offer from me, first sat at peacemaker is steel challenge and uspsa, 2nd is idpa and 2 gun, 3rd is 3 gun. happy to get a newbie started. the one gun (handgun - idpa, uspsa, steel challenge) competitions are super easy to prepare for and most folks have everything needed (decent holster and a couple of mags and pouches). 2 gun is that plus an AR with sling and at least 2 mags. 3 gun ramps up the logistics as there is specialized gear (eg shell caddies, long tube) that most folks don't have sitting around.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I at least bought caddies before my first one. Bought 4 rounders just like I saw Daniel Horner use in the videos. Then found out I could only handle 3 at a time reliably. So later on I bought 6 rounders (grabbing 3 twice).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I had no clue what to expect, I should have spent more time on YouTube or something. I was going through a divorce at the time, so hitting these matches seemed like good therapy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom