• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    We should get together. My neighbors are pretty cool, they all shoot. I have lived in Howard county since 1971 and before that, Montgomery county. Howard County has really changed and I miss the way things were back in the 70's.

Howard County will turn into what Montgomery County was in the 70's as Montgomery County falls apart.

The farm owner that I know, was telling me that back in the early 80's there would be a car on I-70 once in a while. Nowadays, it is a constant flow and he can always hear the traffic, especially the large trucks. Meanwhile, I have seen development after development pop up as farm after farm has gone away. Somewhat good for hunting because it limits the places the geese and deer can feed at and find shelter, but it sucks in the grand scheme of things. I prefer a rural setting, not a suburban or a city setting.

I used to ride my bicycle from the Colesville area, up 650 to Sunshine, and then north on 97 into Carroll County. Trying that nowadays would likely result in me being hospitalized or in the morgue.

I might be going on my first Alaskan hunt this year. Wondering if I am going to want to come back. lol

Ever notice that as the population in an area grows, the number of laws/ordinances grows exponentially?

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    I wouldn't see it being an issue a "BB Gun" is this a pump or co2? I would assume if you kept it secret in the foundations of your own property whats the issue? won't be any noise ordinance violations that's for sure unless you have nosey neighbors...better yet find some secluded woods near train track I did this when I was a teenager county cops never gave me any issue once they acknowledge it was pump action bbg...but abide by the laws importantly!!!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I wouldn't see it being an issue a "BB Gun" is this a pump or co2? I would assume if you kept it secret in the foundations of your own property whats the issue? won't be any noise ordinance violations that's for sure unless you have nosey neighbors...better yet find some secluded woods near train track I did this when I was a teenager county cops never gave me any issue once they acknowledge it was pump action bbg...but abide by the laws importantly!!!

Abiding by the laws pretty much means no shooting of a pellet gun, BB gun, etc. There are exceptions where it can be done, with a lot of jumping through, being the proper age, and under the proper circumstances, but going out to a 120 acre farm and just shooting the pellet gun could result in criminal charges. Yes, I agree that it is highly unlikely, but it is still against the law. The fact that there is a law prohibiting it is just insane.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Abiding by the laws pretty much means no shooting of a pellet gun, BB gun, etc. There are exceptions where it can be done, with a lot of jumping through, being the proper age, and under the proper circumstances, but going out to a 120 acre farm and just shooting the pellet gun could result in criminal charges. Yes, I agree that it is highly unlikely, but it is still against the law. The fact that there is a law prohibiting it is just insane.

I never knew such a law existed..i did this all the time 16ish-18 never had an issue but this was with a rifle BBG...besides where I live those woods are now foundating a retirement home soo it was good while it lasted and the numerous times BCounty Police stopped me...but like I stated I never had any issue never ever!!!true story bro

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I never knew such a law existed..i did this all the time 16ish-18 never had an issue but this was with a rifle BBG...besides where I live those woods are now foundating a retirement home soo it was good while it lasted and the numerous times BCounty Police stopped me...but like I stated I never had any issue never ever!!!true story bro

I have no idea what the Baltimore County ordinances are, and what they happened to be at the time you were doing what you were doing. Back in the 70's, my dad and I used to shoot a pellet gun in Kensington in our backyard with a huge hill as a backstop. Try that nowadays and it would probably end poorly.

This ordinance in Howard County was just passed around 2008, so prior to it being passed it was completely legal to shoot a pellet gun in Howard County.

Lastly, just because you never get caught doing something does not mean it isn't illegal. Reminds me of a defendant I had to listen to for 5+ minutes in traffic court. One of his arguments was "Your honor, I had been doing 40 mph for years in this 25 mph school zone without ever receiving an infraction. Then, one day I get pulled over and receive a citation. How can that be?" Should have heard his Constitutional arguments.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Growing up on the Shore, living in Columbia has blown my mind. I really thought everyone had guns, hunted, and wasn't afraid of guns. I still can't get over it, especially considering crime and all. Cops are minutes away. That's a long time. And I'd really like my kids to learn shooting a BB fun in the backyard like I did. Shooting teaches all kinds of valuable life lessons and builds character. And really it's pretty darn safe. I'll never understand the mentality...

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    I have no idea what the Baltimore County ordinances are, and what they happened to be at the time you were doing what you were doing. Back in the 70's, my dad and I used to shoot a pellet gun in Kensington in our backyard with a huge hill as a backstop. Try that nowadays and it would probably end poorly.

This ordinance in Howard County was just passed around 2008, so prior to it being passed it was completely legal to shoot a pellet gun in Howard County.

Lastly, just because you never get caught doing something does not mean it isn't illegal. Reminds me of a defendant I had to listen to for 5+ minutes in traffic court. One of his arguments was "Your honor, I had been doing 40 mph for years in this 25 mph school zone without ever receiving an infraction. Then, one day I get pulled over and receive a citation. How can that be?" Should have heard his Constitutional arguments.

knowing time has changed now I wouldn't risk doing what I did these days....they never confiscated my bb gun always asked where I lived and what I was doing....told them shooting targets in the woods very simple they said ok and I went on my way.

Swaged

May 30, 2011
    North of North Laurel
    Has anyone really had a run in with a LEO for shooting a BB gun in their backyard? I would tend to believe they would not enforce this law, but who knows.

Yup, but in the 80's, 39.95 for 2 chinese TS-45's delivered. Loud springers.
    Neighbors told me Howard County cop went thru asking about BB guns,
    he left his card and a voicemail, since I wasn't home. When I called back, he
    told me 1 neighbor complained, but the guys on duty had just laughed it off.
    She then sent a written complaint, and he had to do a followup.
    He told me it wasn't illegal, just had to go thru the motions and suggested I keep it low key.
    When I called the State Police about the issue, they told me BB's, pellets, and arrows were all illegal in Metro HoCo.
    About this time I watched an interview with the then current police chief saying any shooting was illegal in Metro HoCo,
    unless you were on 10 acres or more.
    When HoCo first went online with Municipalcode(sp), I looked it up, and the law was written as 'projectile'.

I have more compliant neighbors now, but don't use a springer in the yard either.
    And to the HoCo cop who said, 'low key', I picked up a Mac1 LD with a brake.

pseudonym

Mar 4, 2013
    HoCo
    Doesn't the Metropolitan zone in Howard county end where public sewers end? That has always been my understanding.

(a) A person shall not discharge any gun within the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind.
    (b) A person shall not discharge any gun outside the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind, except at varmints on the ground.

Looks like they shut down the whole county to target shooting with a BB gun.

MDcompetition

Anti-poacher
    MDS Supporter
    May 8, 2013
    Baltimore, MD.
    With all of the hoopla of gun control zealots looking for their next human sacrifice, it would not be prudent to test whether or not HCPD will use the complaint as a pretext to have their "SOD" raid your home and ransack it looking for WMD's.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Doesn't the Metropolitan zone in Howard county end where public sewers end? That has always been my understanding.

Not sure if it is sewer, or just water, but it is one of the two. I am just outside of the Metropolitan zone and glad I am. Got lucky because I didn't even check into this stuff when we moved here 3 years ago. Thinking we should have moved to Carroll instead, but hoping I can make it here 20 years and then retire elsewhere.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    (a) A person shall not discharge any gun within the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind.
    (b) A person shall not discharge any gun outside the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind, except at varmints on the ground.

Looks like they shut down the whole county to target shooting with a BB gun.

That is correct. I am not in the Metropolitan zone and I cannot target practice with the pellet gun outside. Not on 2 acres, not on 120 acres, not on 1,000 acres. But hey, it's common sense. Not only that, but same goes for Nerf guns. Again, just common sense. It appears that sense really is not common nowadays.

gstaniii

Oct 11, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I live within 1 mile of Rt 32 and Rt 144- I guess all those shots I hear during firearms (hunting) season every November/December are being taken 'unlawfully'- unless that is one of the exceptions to the law. Pretty silly ordinance if you ask me.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I live within 1 mile of Rt 32 and Rt 144- I guess all those shots I hear during firearms (hunting) season every November/December are being taken 'unlawfully'- unless that is one of the exceptions to the law. Pretty silly ordinance if you ask me.

You and I are definitely neighbors then. There is actually an exception for hunting.

Sec. 8.403. Special provisions for hunting.

(a) Notwithstanding section 8.401 of this subtitle, a licensed hunter may discharge a gun if the hunter:
    (1) Is lawfully hunting outside the Metropolitan District:
    (i) On property the hunter owns; or
    (ii) On other property with the prior written permission of the owner; and
    (2) Complies with subsections (c) and (d) of this section and all applicable state laws or regulations.
    (b) Notwithstanding section 8.401 of this subtitle, a licensed hunter may discharge a shotgun if the hunter:
    (1) Is lawfully hunting on not less than ten acres inside the Metropolitan District:
    (2) Complies with subsections (c) and (d) of this section and all applicable state laws or regulations.
    (c)(1) (i) The safety zone is the area consisting of 150 yards around a facility.
    (ii) Without written permission of the property owner, a person shall not discharge a gun within, from, onto, or across a safety zone.
    (2) Whenever a person discharges a gun, the person shall:
    (i) Ensure that the projectile has a downward trajectory;
    (ii) Be sure that the discharge is towards a safe, visible backstop; or
    (iii) Use a shotgun that contains only shot.
    (d) In addition to any other penalty provided by law, a person has committed a class a offense under title 24, subtitle 1 of the Howard County Code if the person discharges a gun and a projectile from the gun damages a facility or personal property, including pets and livestock, regardless of whether the person has complied with all other provisions of this section.
    (C.B. 33, 1976; C. B. 1, 2009, § 1)

gstaniii

Oct 11, 2013
    Ellicott City
    You and I are definitely neighbors then. There is actually an exception for hunting.

Sec. 8.403. Special provisions for hunting.

(a) Notwithstanding section 8.401 of this subtitle, a licensed hunter may discharge a gun if the hunter:
    (1) Is lawfully hunting outside the Metropolitan District:
    (b) Notwithstanding section 8.401 of this subtitle, a licensed hunter may discharge a shotgun if the hunter:
    (1) Is lawfully hunting on not less than ten acres inside the Metropolitan District:
    (c)(1) (i) The safety zone is the area consisting of 150 yards around a facility.
    (ii) Without written permission of the property owner, a person shall not discharge a gun within, from, onto, or across a safety zone.
    (2) Whenever a person discharges a gun, the person shall:
    (i) Ensure that the projectile has a downward trajectory;
    (ii) Be sure that the discharge is towards a safe, visible backstop; or
    (iii) Use a shotgun that contains only shot.
    (d) In addition to any other penalty provided by law, a person has committed a class a offense under title 24, subtitle 1 of the Howard County Code if the person discharges a gun and a projectile from the gun damages a facility or personal property, including pets and livestock, regardless of whether the person has complied with all other provisions of this section.
    (C.B. 33, 1976; C. B. 1, 2009, § 1)

That makes sense and is a little more inline with my understanding. I'm sure you probably hear the same shots during the firearms/muzzeloading season as I do. (I live as far west as one possibly can and still hold an 'Ellicott City' address, but for all intensive purposes I live in West Friendship)

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I live in an older rowhouse development in Catonsville. I shoot longbow and spring piston air rifle in the backyard regularly during the warm weather. The cops told me there would be no problem as long as there is no danger to the public, i.e. arrows or pellets going out of the yard. No complaints from the neighbors either. Some of the kids think it's pretty cool and like to watch me shoot my longbow. Occasionally, I shoot the starlings with an air rifle. There is open season on these, as well as English Sparrows. I try to be discreet when doing that however.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    We need to make people aware of the HoCo and MoCo laws by having all the "illegal" toys removed from the major retailers. Make them live by what they have brought upon themselves.

There would be a stink and potentially good TV/newspaper coverage

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom