• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Son is in need of bargain yet quality sprucing up of his 2002 Shadow ACE.

Tires for sure, maybe some electrical, new chain, some tweaking. He's getting into bike work as a career, but not comfortable enough to do it all himself, and can't afford dealer/shop prices.

He's here in Glen Burnie, but can't really give up the bike for more than a day or two at a time.

A lot, I know... but we can really use an assist here.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    he should join a forum for his bike type. Im sure he'll find all kinds of how to's and info.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    Used Bike emporium It's next to Cancun Cantina in Hanover MD This Guy, I grew up with him He can Help. Tell your son to talk with him about the Business. He started this by going around town finding junk bikes repairing them then selling He's a Millionaire now.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Used Bike emporium It's next to Cancun Cantina in Hanover MD This Guy, I grew up with him He can Help. Tell your son to talk with him about the Business. He started this by going around town finding junk bikes repairing them then selling He's a Millionaire now.

ha! :lol:

OP said his son couldn't afford dealer prices. He certainly will not be able to afford visiting the Bike Emporium for any work. Last time I went there; inquiring about the price to mount a tire (I was going to bring in the wheel myself, not the whole bike) he said $100.00 !!!!

I was floored and asked him why it was so much; he start rambling about having to pay for the equipment; he was going to take my bike on a check ride; yada...yada.... :sad20:

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    ha! :lol:

OP said his son couldn't afford dealer prices. He certainly will not be able to afford visiting the Bike Emporium for any work. Last time I went there; inquiring about the price to mount a tire (I was going to bring in the wheel myself, not the whole bike) he said $100.00 !!!!

I was floored and asked him why it was so much; he start rambling about having to pay for the equipment; he was going to take my bike on a check ride; yada...yada.... :sad20:

Doesn't sound like Jon. He may have misunderstood you in some way.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    if he has his tires and chain already, i can help. in and out in a few hours. bring new tubes if the tires are tube type. new chain usually means new sprocketts are needed too. check rear wear, front sprocket wears 3 times faster than front. PM me with more info on electrical.

and i stand by my assertion that he should stay away from this industry. 2 decades in it here, I finally grew up and got out.

PS: and we can shoot in my back yard after we finish with the bike.

Mr H

Banana'd
    if he has his tires and chain already, i can help. in and out in a few hours. bring new tubes if the tires are tube type. new chain usually means new sprocketts are needed too. check rear wear, front sprocket wears 3 times faster than front. PM me with more info on electrical.

and i stand by my assertion that he should stay away from this industry. 2 decades in it here, I finally grew up and got out.

PS: and we can shoot in my back yard after we finish with the bike.

Appreciate the information from everyone!

I'll pass it along.

Truth be told, he has GI Bill money burning a hole in his pocket, and this has been a dream of his.

Personally, I'd rather see him extend on other skills he already has, say in welding, gunsmithing, hydraulics or pneumatics, or get into Small Engine...

But hey, I'm only his father, right?!!

;)

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I agree with Armaillo. I also worked in the business for about 15 years. Get him to spend the money on a better trade. Keep the bikes as a hobby. Your reccomendations would all be better and would be useful in hobby MC repair. Getting a job as a shop grunt might be good for a summer to learn but I do not recommend it as a career. Chain is easy (get sprockets). Tires can be frustrating without proper tools.
    I really think he should try it himself. Take Armadillo up on his offer and start learning.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Someone's already said it but he really should join the forums for his bike. If it wasn't for me joining the SVRider forums, I would have never learned to change tires/oil/spark plugs/chain and sprockets/handlebars/forks on my bike. Someday when my engine aspoldes, I hope the swap it for a newer engine on my own.

51k miles on my bike and all the maintenance was done by yours truly. You'll save a crap-ton of money that way.
    (minus my first set of tires, some forum members helped me with that task but now i do it at home with spoons on my own)

But I've only been riding for five years :D

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    As others have said, he'll have a tough go in the MC repair industry. Shops are employing like 2 techs total.

In the absense of a tire changer, he'll either have to remove the wheels and take them to a shop or take the bike to a shop. Its kind of crappy but a lot of shops charge different prices to change if you don't buy your tires from them. Have him call around. I work on my own bikes but quite frankly, for the extra $20 the charge to take my wheel off the bike (per wheel), its not worth it for me to mess with.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Have him post up on

www.dcsportbikes.net

there's plenty of good folks on there from Bmizzle.

I've been on there for a long time and there's some good folks up ya'lls way that should be able to help.

I take it he wants to at least watch as his bike is being worked on so he can see what he's in store for?

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    What year is your SV? Naked or faired?

07 SV650N. She's ugly but she's mine :)
    (Oh, and I ride year round. I'm probably the only idiot you see in the snow on two wheels lol. Minus the ever elusive and rare idiot bimmer rider)
    419708_10152411069730618_609409853_n.jpg

406651_10151111141650618_1405210883_n.jpg

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Nice. I used to commute on my 2002 year round as long as there wasn't snow. Heated gear is awesome. I put it off for a long time. I now wonder why I waited so long. I personally don't like the hippo hands. I would put hand guards from a Vstrom on my SV for the winter.
    I'm well acquainted with BMW riders. I spent more than a decade in a BMW shop.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    no offense, and it's easy to be blunt on the interwebz, but if your son doesn't want to give these minor repairs and maintenance a try, he may want to reconsider going down the motorsports business trail.

sprockets and chain are very easy, pretty much plug and play.
    removing tires isn't too hard. i haven't actually changed streetbike tires, not sure if a machine is needed or not. i have changed dirt bike tires and it's doable but not fun at all.
    electrical work could be serious, but start by looking for frayed wires, loose connections, blown fuses.

very nice that a fellow mds-er offered to help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom